Sport Quattro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Quattro

OK - here goes! My OCD has got the better of me and, after having done nothing other than eat, read and sleep SQ's for the last month I've decided to build one rather than buy one. I wish I had the technical skills of Jeffer, Hamish, Jamil etc but I don't so I am enlisting some help on the difficult bits. Thanks to those who have spent time dragging me up the learning curve over the last month - Keiths Edwards and Murray, Jamil and Mr Tonks as well as Roger Galvin. I can say first hand that Keith's and Jamil's cars are bloody quick - thanks for the demo chaps!

My idea is to create a road (ish) SQ with the proper screen angle and C pillars. I may yet live to regret this if I ever sell it, but for me to use in the UK it will be RHD.

I've acquired a rough Coupe Quattro and pick up my Audi 80 2 door from Germany on Monday. We already have an S2 lined up for the engine and drive train - 6 speed but the original ABY engine lunched itself so it comes with a 3B. Pics attached. Brian Tonks is supplying the body kit - mostly in Carbon Kevlar.

The aim is mainly to create a road car with the occasional foray onto the hillclimbs for fun rather than to be competitive (I race single seaters on the hills - they are easier to thread up the track and marginally cheaper to fix if they break - it also means I don't compete head on with Keith's red monster). 400-500 bhp with a cage but also with an interior and some creature comforts.

Fingers crossed...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tonks4x4; 26 November 2013, 14:11.

Tis one hell of an itch but if it needs scratching.....

Good luck with it. I love these build threads.

Comment

All the best with the build Clive it will be a long testing journey ahead!

Comment

Damn those 2 door sedans are rare. I would like to build 2 door sedan with 90/4000 look If somebody have pics how it would look pls post

Comment

wish you all the best , is keith stll using the sqs shifter on his car , if so what do you think of it

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement chaps.

Re the shifter, I went in the white one as a passenger not in the red racer. Think the white one just has a normal 5 speeder.

Comment

Welcome and your in safe hands with Brian and Tom .

Have you decided on a colour your going to paint it ?

Comment

Can't decide white or red. By complete coincidence I have just spent the last half an hour reading your build thread John. Looks like a fantastic (and probably fantastically expensive!) project. I note you are in the west mids. It would be good to compare notes so I'll pm you my contact details. Look forward to seeing the next stage of yours.

Clive

Comment

Clive who is doing the build on this?

Comment

Brian and some associates are doing the difficult bits and I'm doing the rest Hamish.

Cheers

Clive

Comment

Just collected the 80 2 door from Germany. 1072 miles in 24.5 hours. 3 motorway closures and the train in front of me on the Chunnel broke down and blocked it for a while on the way back. The lights packed up briefly on the autobahn but luckily came back on! Something up with the cold start which meant that when dipping the clutch it revved to 3k rpm - made lights and traffic jams "interesting". Stopped by Dutch police for full doc check and breath test. Heater controls not working but Brian "hot wired" it - just had to drive home with the window half open ;-). Arrived home 3.15 this morning.

Overall a fantastic trip - many thanks to Brian for the lift down. He really is a gold mine of information. He is still over there collecting an 80 quattro from Poland. Key tip for anyone contemplating such a trip - make sure you pack a "Tonks" in your tool box!

Now the real fun starts. Will be stripping it down so if anyone wants any bits then let me know. Ditto the coupe quattro.

Comment

Bought some Recaro Classics from Germany. Arrived last week but one had been damaged in transit so has to go back. Also found the correct headlights which was a major trawl but got there in the end. I am still on the look out for others though for spares if anyone has a stash.

Unbelievably, it turns out there is another chap less than 10 miles from me who is also about to start his SQ build - albeit his will be a racer. He has an in house fab shop so I am splitting the cost of a shell shortening jig with him. Should hopefully come in useful in future if we ever build more of them.

Also been doing some research on engines. Am thinking we might try something different and go for an 07K. Just trying to work out the detail on this but it could be an interesting experiment. Hopefully decide one way or the other early in the new year.

Finally, I've acquired the Audi 200 clocks and 100 binnacle to form the basis of the dash. Ideally I want to make a RHD copy of the original SQ dash set-up incl centre console.

Key question, has anyone out there wired the 200 clocks up and / or know where I can find wiring diagrams / input specs for these so that I can drive them properly?

I know this is all a bit cart before horse but this sort of thing might take a bit of time consuming research and fiddling about.

Cheers and happy Christmas to you all.

C
                        Last edited by Clive A; 24 December 2013, 08:31.

Comment

Where do you got the headlights from?
                          Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

For my RHD UK beam pattern, the near side headlight is still available from VW Classic. The offside is NLA but I found a new one via a factor / breaker. Sadly he only had one. The parts are common with a B2 Passatt and have part numbers:

322941105AF (near side)
                            322941106AF (off side)

I'm still in the market if anyone has either.

Cheers.

C

Comment

I want it for LHD. Do you have the part numbers for these or should i only look for B2 Passat?
                              Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Working...
                              X