Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How strong is the diff lock gear?

Hi Guys.

Please don't throw rocks at me for this as I haven't found anything on this subject. I have wondered about this for some time, but it's not critical or anything, probably just fun related.

So, how strong is the diff lock system on an UrS? I have my white-blue wire cut and I have been tempted to use the lock on some snow & ice fields for some more tail-happy action. Not too keen on staying on the fields if it's weak and breaks soon after some spins.

Judging by the picture, the gear itself isn't too big and accounting for 20+ years of usage doesn't give it more health.

Picture "stolen" from one of Dave's guides.

If you do a search on here you will find many people saying they are really quite strong....

The reasons diffs break is ring gear deflection on high load, spinning up one wheel overloading/speeding the spiders, and bad oil leading to bearing failure, disengaging the pinion from the crown.

A difflock stops #2 from happening entirely, with road tyres in snow/ice you are unlikely to do #1, and if you diff is in good nick, then #3 shouldn't happen either

In all, it's under less load doing silly slippy slidey stuff than when dumping the clutch from standstill on dry tarmac.

Comment

Didn't manage to break a diff locked or unlocked with 700bhp launching on slicks. They are pretty solid units.

Comment

Thanks! Will try some sliding about then when there's some more snow.

Comment

Originally posted by RichLV View Post
          So, how strong is the diff lock system on an UrS?[/IMG]
          Picture "stolen" from one of Dave's guides.

The diff lock gear ring is fairly strong once it is fully engaged. Where it can be weak is if you try to engage the diff lock without first coming to a complete stop. With the axles still moving you've maybe got a 50:50 chance of gear teeth going on early retirement.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post

The diff lock gear ring is fairly strong once it is fully engaged. Where it can be weak is if you try to engage the diff lock without first coming to a complete stop. With the axles still moving you've maybe got a 50:50 chance of gear teeth going on early retirement.

Yes, I thought of that, and am completely stopping before pushing that button. Also I noticed that it disengages automatically when shutting the car off.

Comment

It takes a fair bit of abuse to break. I've only broken 5 of them but only one I believe was due to you're certain question. I permanently lock mine and I believe the lock had started to become disengaged and it broke. I have had more issues with breaking spider gears and stripping the teeth off the output of the passenger side than having any issues with the lock.

Abusive drag race use only, with deep in the 800 wheel horsepower range. Hard hard launches on slicks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
              Last edited by speeding-g60; 18 January 2017, 14:29.

Comment

I'd forgotten about diff lock so tested it yesterday on some wet roads
                Cheers'en, AndyC
                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                X