Headlining coming apart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlining coming apart

Has anybody else had this happen? The fabric has started to separate from the backing and peel away. I thought it must have got damp but its bone dry

Also if anybody can recommend any spay glue that won’t stain fabric it would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Mark.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

u have to change the fabric cos what make it fall that the foam between the fabric and the panel has come apart , which color is the trim of your headliner? , spray i think 3m or wurth is fine. i bought one french kind last time and i ended up buying new trim again cos it didnt stick as it supose.

Comment

Remove it as soon as possible. When it will be all apart, u will have some problems. The foam is so sticky, it sticks to everyhing and it is a major PITA to clean. Do not separate the cloth from the foam!
      Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
        Has anybody else had this happen? The fabric has started to separate from the backing and peel away. I thought it must have got damp but its bone dry

Also if anybody can recommend any spay glue that won’t stain fabric it would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Mark.
        Did you get this fixed? Mine has started doing the same and I'm looking for a suitable spray adhesive to fix it.
        sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

I bought a can of spray gue from ebay, its the stuff people use to stick carpet onto sub boxs, white sticky stuff when sprayed. It lasted a good while but it starting to seperate again in places, i think the key is to remove as much of the old foam as possible, then stick the fabric back on. Its not a perfect solution by any means, if i was bothered about it i would buy new fabric and recover the panel properly.
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

i have the same problem. mark

Comment

get a proper contact adhiesive (Spl) as the spray glues only last a few months, there are some good brands if you look around

Comment

have the same issue unfortunately though i think min was caused by getting a bit damp last winter
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

This is what retrimmers use http://www.martrim.co.uk/catalogue/g...-adhesives.htm
                  Audi S2 Coupe 1995
                  VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
                  VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
                  Carrera Subway 8

Comment

I used some spray carpet glue and worked a little too well, I made the material on sunroof trim little too tight and broke plastic clips so watch out when you do it.
                    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I replaced my headlining & sunroof pannel in 2010 & did a how to guide.

The thread is here

My how to guide is here

Hope this helps....

Comment

Mine started separating in my coupe, at the back near the top of the hatch opening. I found glue wasn't working so I removed the plastic trim that covers the edge and stapled it to the backing. The trim covers the staples. It ain't comin away now!!!!
                        Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
                        03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
                        01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Nice write up there
                          Cheers mis amigos,
                          _Anton

Comment

Originally posted by re2500 View Post
                            Mine started separating in my coupe, at the back near the top of the hatch opening. I found glue wasn't working so I removed the plastic trim that covers the edge and stapled it to the backing. The trim covers the staples. It ain't comin away now!!!!
                            I like it, that is my kind of fix!
                            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I was thinking, since I am also having similar issues....

Can anyone think of a reason why the old material and foam cannot be cleaned off and the headlining board "flocked"?

You could then do the sun visors in matching flock.....

What do you think?
                              Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                              S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                              '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Working...
                              X