Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauges - where the needles should sit!

There are many questions posted about the gauges, especially the oil pressure gauge and I'm sure that there are many individual threads on each gauge so I thought that having just taken the car out for a winter warmer, I'd take a few pics...

The oil pressure gauge has to be viewed from head on to get the position as the pics show. You can see from the other angles that it's not where it should be. What a rubish design (as we all know)!

Interestingly, I've notived that if your cooling system isn't in good order, i.e. there's a leak then the temperature gauge can hit 90+2 grads or even +3 before fan kick in but with it sealed it only reaches 90+1 grad. I was chasing this for ages and it was my after run pump leaking (that then blew up in my face as some will remember!).

Will take a pic of the running water temp (90 - 1 to 2 grads) when it's not sat, cooler than this and it's either REALLY cold or your thermostat is knackered!

I could try and get the oil temp up to 130... maybe not! I've seen 130 / +1 grad on track and the water gauge at about 90 + 8 / 9 that was with a weak HG!

Please add any more pics / links / threads to this one. Might be a good sticky?

I've got:-

Oil temperature gauge head on.
    Oil pressure gauge at idle (15W50 oil)
    Oil pressure gauge at higher RPM
    Attached Files
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Here's the temp gauge at fan kick-in.
    Attached Files
    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Interesting! My oil temp sits at just above the 60 degree mark when driving sensible and would only ever get as high as yours when driving very spiritedly

Although i will have to get around to changing my thermostat as i am positive it is stuck open and that can't help.
      1994 Indigo Blue S2 coupe
      1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
      2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
      1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

I can't get my warter temp to go that high even with a known good stat.
        sigpic
        "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
        BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
        1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
        2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Oil thermostat stuck open is defo the cause of that!

Is it an 87 deg stat? When mine was leaking it would get cold when driving, thought it was stat but all good now, even in this weather.
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

yup, mine concur with yours Andy...except for the running water temperature where mine would sit lower, never sure if its the stat or the mtfs but having changed both a couple of times they still manage to display broadly the same 70-80 at motorway speed and rise to normal limits at slower speeds or standing in traffic.
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

wheres the oil stat located ?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                yup, mine concur with yours Andy...except for the running water temperature where mine would sit lower, never sure if its the stat or the mtfs but having changed both a couple of times they still manage to display broadly the same 70-80 at motorway speed and rise to normal limits at slower speeds or standing in traffic.
                This shouldn't happen. It should stay above 80deg in all but the most extreme conditions. Mine was like this when I had a small leak, I thought it wsa the stat but that was really new (<2k miles).
                Last edited by Rusty; 3 January 2009, 19:03.
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I agree with Andy's numbers there, although I see 4.5 - 5 bar of oil under full pressure, pretty much off the scale actually.

I would also agree that the fan should only cut in at 90 + 1 increment, and run at standard speed only for approximately 30 secs to 1 min before switching off again. The high speed fan should only cut in when very very hot water temps are seen.

Oil temps should follow water unless the car is on track or being thrashed in the summer!

Cheers,

Steve.
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic
                  Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I could have temp sensor fault as my fan cuts in at 90/90-1.
                    sigpic

Comment

That oil pressure was at operating temperature and about 4k rpm so ties in with Steve's readings. At cold it's off the scale. 10W60 will be higher also.

I'll try and get a water temp gauge pic at operating temp. Anything below 80 is bad as the ECU goes into warm-up mode and so uses more fuel... Yes, that is possible in an S2!

Pictures show the Voltmeter. Mine shows 13.7V, I think this is healthy, somewhere between 13.5V and 14V should be about right. Over 14.5V is too high and indicates a damaged alternator voltage regulator I think.

Any other gauge pictures? I'm not brave enough to do a turbo boost one on my own. Tried that with a video and it wasn't a great idea. If I get some help I might do it.

One last thing, mods, please can you sticky this thread for posterity. Ta.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by rj scotty View Post
                        I could have temp sensor fault as my fan cuts in at 90/90-1.
                        Or you've got a cooler rad switch. Not a bad thing, I've hard wired the fan for traffic and track use.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
                          That oil pressure was at operating temperature and about 4k rpm so ties in with Steve's readings. At cold it's off the scale. 10W60 will be higher also.

I'll try and get a water temp gauge pic at operating temp. Anything below 80 is bad as the ECU goes into warm-up mode and so uses more fuel... Yes, that is possible in an S2!
                          Is this on my 92-S4 also? How will I notice this "ECU VARM-UP" when im driving? Got alot of problems with my water temp and i know there is a leak somewhere but i can't locate where the water come out of the system.

Comment

For want of a better picture, here's where it should sit...
                            Attached Files
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

For reference
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X