Wheel Wobble...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Wobble...

So, on 2 sets of wheels (one recently balanced), I have the same steering wheel wobble, so I'm thinking that it's something to do with the driveline.

Could be the brakes, which I'll not be able to test without new discs & pads.

Could be a driveshaft that's lost a balancing weight though? Anyone know somewhere that can refurbish driveshafts or where to buy new ones?
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

maybe a bent/distorted wheel mounting flange? Have you hit anything significant that you can remember? Same tyres on both sets of wheels?

Comment

Not hit anything of late but I did hit the kerb in the snow about 6 years ago. It was enough to bend the rim a little and knock the tracking out but nothing more than that.
      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Got to be a warped disc or the tyre has a flat spot, does it change with speed or constantly there? Stick the spare on.

Comment

It's the same on 2 different sets of wheels and tyres, so while it could be that they're both out, I had one set balanced recently and it made very little difference. Happens as you hit motorway speed, so about 60+

The discs do get a bit of corrosion on them, wit the car sat outside, so they're a possibility, especially as the DS2500s are quite soft compared to say a Yellowstuff EBC.

Anyone know where to get driveshafts refurbished? I can paint them etc. but I'd like to make sure they're in balance.
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Have you got access to a 2 poster ramp at all? Lift her up in the air and have somebody 'drive' the car while you have a look for wobbliness underneath

Comment

Originally posted by mike74 View Post
              Have you got access to a 2 poster ramp at all? Lift her up in the air and have somebody 'drive' the car while you have a look for wobbliness underneath

Comment

The ramp technique has helped me find stuff like this before. Mind your self on moving parts obviously.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Could be prop centre bearing. It made a he'll of a noise in my typ85 90 at about 60-70mph. I packed it full or sikaflex and it helped. I think driveshafts have to be seriously out of balance to feel it due to the small diameter and relatively slow speed.

Comment

Discs and drive flange are easy enough tested for bend with dial gauge and magnetic stand if you have them. how clean are the mounting faces, could cause run out too.

Comment

Had an annoying wheel vibration through the steering in my Merc for over a year. Both front alloys were straightened and balanced, all the suspension was checked and even looked at engine mounts. Nothing found. Changed all 4 tyres and hey presto it's gone. The rears where unbalanced and with a slight bulge which sent the vibration through the driveline and up the steering column. Even if I rotated the wheels it would have felt the same.......

Comment

Might be that the CV joint are dry and need re-greasing. Had that twice so far with inner CV joints.

Comment

Could be something simple like a buckled alloy?? Had that on mine got the buckle removed and alloy rebalanced and problem solved?

Comment

I think I'll need to get some wheels that are known not to wobble and try those first, as that'll rule out the wheels. Be odd for both sets of my wheels to give the same results but not impossible I guess.

DTI and a magnetic base should be easy enough to try too.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Does it increase under load eg in higher gears. I've had this on cars with worn inner cvs.

Comment

Working...
                              X