S2 Coupe Rescue Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 Coupe Rescue Project

Hello all, thought i'd start a thread on my S2 which I picked up a few weeks ago.

I've called it a rescue S2 as it was once very loved and well looked after but it looks like the last 4 years have seen it be neglected and it's not really the car it should be.

It's a 1995 ABY S2 Coupe in Volcano black. Black leather, heated seats, AC, cruise and RS4 wheels. H&R springs, Koni shocks and Miltek Cat back system. I think the engine is standard and whilst the body work needs some TLC it is straight and rot free.

So far I have put all new brake pads and discs on. Oil and filter change, air filter, timing belt, water pump, brake fluid flush. Previous service records basically stopped in 2010 at 127k but it is now only on 133k so.......... should be ok.

There are a few issues with it to sort.

No stereo, so i've bought a new Alpine with bluetooth and DAB etc hopefully get that in over the weekend but i'm not expecting anything exciting from the speakers.
    It has been allowed to get wet inside, but it's drying out slowly.
    It needs some tyres as currently has a set of 4 un matched ditch finders on the limit.
    It drives very well but needs a slight tweak to the tracking. I need to take off the steering arms and free them up on the work bench as had 80's before and know they can be impossible to free up in place.
    I have an electrical gremlin which is causing the alarm to go off on unlock and key fob doesn't work plus it has an annoying immobiliser thing that you have to swipe past a part of the dash. I think a new Toad alarm is required.
    There is also a gremlin in the electrics that sometimes means the lights, indicators and wipers don't work. I'm guessing there is a relay somewhere that is sticking, any suggestions?
    The heater doesn't blow hot air, did when I picked it up but stopped after 30 mins. Need to investigate heater matrix as could be blocked.
    The cruise and air con don't work. Air con could be just a re gas but it's low on the list of priorities as the windows and sunroof are all in full working order.
    It does need a bit of paint here and there plus it needs the rear bumper fitting properly and I think a new front bumper.

The MOT runs out in June so first up is all the electrical issues and to get the car through the test.

The interior is in great condition and has come up well with a basic clean.

So what are my plans.

I have some de cat pipes for it as it's too quiet. It had a K&N fitted which i've replaced with a paper filter for now. I will do 2k miles in it then change the oil again and re fit the k&n once i've had a chance to buy the cleaning stuff and clean and oil it.

Priority is getting electrical stuff working bar air con and cruise, but I will investigate.

There are a few worn bushes which I want to replace with uprated stuff and possible get the arms powder coated whilst they are off. But that depends on the cost of complete new ones from Euro or similar.

My long term intentions for the car is it leave it visually standard other than the RS4 wheels, which need a re-furb too.

It will get bigger brakes. More to follow on those but the plan is a Phaeton 360mm disc and 4 pot Brembo calliper. I have the callipers already. Then larger vented discs on the rear. Luckily I know a brakes engineer so I can get all the proper calculations done to ensure piston size and balance are all done correctly.

I will be turning the power up but again it's a way off yet. I think aim will be 450 ish bhp. I've owned a Skyline with 600bhp at the wheels and have no intention of having anything like that in my S2 but as standard it does feel a little slow.

It needs a lot of TLC but the base car is very well spec'd and despite the last 4 years or neglect it is still a great car.

I'm sure I will be needing plenty of advice and help as the build/restoration moves on and i'll try to keep this updated.

Sounds like a nice S2, it's the Identical spec and colour to my coupe! Just down the road from you too, there are a few forum members from Banbury and of course MRC, so you're well placed for help etc.

Can't really help with your electrical faults, but the things not working might be linked to the dodgy alarm so maybe start by stripping the old alarm out.

First thing to try to fix the heating is bleeding the coolant system, best results are with unscrewing the 3 screws for the reservoir and raising it up as high as possible. Other suggestions for a similar issue are in this thread: http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=bleed+heating

Good luck getting it all sorted!

Comment

Can't see the pictures

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs View Post
        Can't see the pictures
        Not sure where they have gone, will investigate.

Comment

Originally posted by Colesy View Post
          Sounds like a nice S2, it's the Identical spec and colour to my coupe! Just down the road from you too, there are a few forum members from Banbury and of course MRC, so you're well placed for help etc.

Can't really help with your electrical faults, but the things not working might be linked to the dodgy alarm so maybe start by stripping the old alarm out.

First thing to try to fix the heating is bleeding the coolant system, best results are with unscrewing the 3 screws for the reservoir and raising it up as high as possible. Other suggestions for a similar issue are in this thread: http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=bleed+heating

Good luck getting it all sorted!
          Excellent news, how close to Banbury are you? I'm in Aynho. MRC was going to be my first port of call but engine mods are a way off. After driving it into work this morning the heater had just become a more important thing to fix

Comment

Im also in the area. Currently living between Bloxham and Banbury but will be moving soon and Aynho is bizarrely one of the villages I am looking at. I also need to get MRC to do a boost leak test on my car but I hear they concentrate more on S4's and newer models now. Might be wrong.

Colesy lives out along the stratford road somewhere I think. I have spotted him coming through Wroxton before. I cannot imagine what either of us were doing on that road ha ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Cottis View Post
              Im also in the area. Currently living between Bloxham and Banbury but will be moving soon and Aynho is bizarrely one of the villages I am looking at. I also need to get MRC to do a boost leak test on my car but I hear they concentrate more on S4's and newer models now. Might be wrong.

Colesy lives out along the stratford road somewhere I think. I have spotted him coming through Wroxton before. I cannot imagine what either of us were doing on that road ha ha.
              I think MRC are more on the newer stuff as their website doesn't feature much on the S2's etc, but money talks.

Comment

I'm in Shenington so not far away at all. I'm not sure what MRC offer for S2's anymore but they definitely know their stuff so worth dropping in if your struggling.

Comment

Has this image worked?

Comment

Originally posted by montyrs2 View Post
                    Has this image worked?

Excellent, so there is a picture of the wee beasty.

Below are a couple of pics of the brakes. I have fitted some de cat pipes and part fitted a stereo. More images to follow. so far it's mostly been good. Had a flat battery the other morning for no reason. Battery certainly isn't new so might need replacing in the near future.

Comment

Brakes ought to work a little better now then!
                      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Get the track arm upgrades of bambridge well worth fitting

Don't expect it to stay dry inside for long

Start doing over time to pay for all the stuff you WILL do to it

Nice work on the brakes defo can't shirk on them

Comment

Rs4s look excellent against the black, best of luck

Comment

Very nice car & project mate

Tell me with whatever I can help you

Keep us posted ! And good luck!
                            RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                            BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                            LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

So heater matrix is in and i get hot air. Dash is still out and will stay out until new alarm is fitted. It had a factory fit Meta alarm with another alarm spliced onto it. all a bit dirty and none of the key fobs work and the immobilizer is annoying as have to swipe a thingy past a look in the dash. So it's getting a new CAT1 alarm whilst the dash is out so it can be done really properly.

The foam in the matrix housing was proper knackered so I re foamed it using some Nitto foam I had.

But then the good luck stopped. Looks like previous owners/alarm installs etc have damaged the plastic lugs on my drivers A pillar have been broken off so it doesn't clip in properly. Anyone found a fix for this? I'm thinking double sided foam?

Also my gear selector has broken so change is a bit sloppy. Anyone got a spare or know of a good quick shift kit to replace it?

The other bad news is that the poor fitting bumper is as a result of a light knock so that will be some extra work when it goes into the body shop. The rear bumper fixes onto a plastic bracket with captive nuts. Anyone got a pair of them?

Does anyone have a link to an online parts fiche for these cars. Think I have an etka somewhere for years ago but no idea where it is.
                              Last edited by montyrs2; 4 April 2014, 22:46. Reason: Incorrect link for image

Comment

Working...
                              X