Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using 16" rims which rear brake upgrade fits

ABY S2 Coupe 1996.

I basically have all the parts for my front brake upgrade using Porsche 996.351.425/6 calipers with 323 mm disc to fit under the stock six spoke ABY 16" Avus wheel rim.

So now its the turn of the rears.

I have read many of the recommendations but I have not seen one that mentions it would fit within the standard 16" rim.

Has anybody upgraded the rear brakes and kept the 16" rims, if so what did you use.

If possible the hand brake must work without any serious alterations.

Thanks

orsum

Thuppu's adapter plates for a 310x22mm A8 rotor. Everything else stays the same. Have to grind the edges of the calipers a bit to fit the R16.

*Edit*

Oh sorry, overlooked that you have a coupe. No adapters then. :/
    Last edited by RichLV; 20 August 2016, 16:13.

Comment

Fit UR S4/6 vented rear set up.

Comment

Looks interesting and I would think will save you money, great idea.

I do have a concern in that with upgrading the fronts would the rear calipers be up to the task.

The caliper looks a little small. (Not sure about that comment being correct)

I was looking to put a kit together that would equal/balance the car after fitting the front upgrade. Is there another solution available for the rears while keeping the 16" rims.

orsum

Comment

Lots of good info on options for the rear here: http://www.s2central.com/main_frame.html

Are you sure your 323mm front setup will fit under 16" wheels? Where did you get the brackets from?

Comment

From reading all the posts it appears that the six spoke Avus fits with the standard RS2 carrier and 996 caliper.

The only concern I am aware of is the disc sit close to the caliper.

http://www.s2forum.com/996-brake-upgrade/

I am having a set made from EN8 and will electro plate them for protection.

orsum
            Last edited by orsum; 20 August 2016, 17:29.

Comment

Originally posted by orsum View Post
              From reading all the posts it appears that the six spoke Avus fits with the standard RS2 carrier and 996 caliper.

The only concern I am aware of is the disc sit close to the caliper.

http://www.s2forum.com/996-brake-upgrade/

I am having a set made from EN8 and will electro plate them for protection.

orsum

From s2 Central
              3. Porsche 996 / Audi RS2 / Audi A8 Kit
              This configuration has been tried and tested by many members of the S2 Forum. In truth this upgrade has been around a few years before I got time to write about here at S2 Central. This link (hosted by one of the forums many devoted and talented people) takes you to a site explaining the modification in great detail. I can't remember if Greg invented the upgrade kit by himself - sometimes this kind of magic development happens in parallel by accident.

The essence of this conversion is as follows (with part numbers to be added when I get time) -

•323 x 30 discs from the front of a 1st generation A8
              •Front calipers from a Porsche 996 - available in red, black or silver... 4-pot Brembos
              •Caliper carriers from the front of an RS2
              •Hard brake lines also from the RS2
              •Pads for the Brembo/Porsche calipers - lots of choice in roadgoing or trackday materials

Basically it all bolts up a treat to the front of the S2 with a few minor tweaks -

•File down the pins (on both sides) of the calipers by 1mm to accomodate the 30mm disc width
              •Tease / stretch the locating springs for the pads to provide adequate disc clearance
              •Ensure that there are no balancing weights on the standard 16" Avus wheel which could interfere with the caliper. Note this kit does NOT work with the original 5-spoke wheels of the earliest S2s.
              Some variations on this theme have been to use the cheaper caliper carriers from a Seat Cupra R (Brembo equipped) and to reduce the disc diameter to 314mm to provide greater pad and rim clearance.
              Last edited by orsum; 20 August 2016, 17:29.

Comment

This fits under 16" avus on a coupe

B7 Disc, 300x22 vented - 8E0 615 601R (turned down to 280mm)
                A8/S8 carrier - 4D0 615 425C
                Calipers from RR quattro or UrS4/S6 - 447 615 423 and 447 615 424
                S8 pads for those 280mm discs - 1J0 698 451L
                50mm long caliper carrier bolts - N101 815 02 Shortened to ~35mm for the task

Plus some washers to centre the carriers over the disc.
                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

996 425/426 calipers fit under 16" avus with 314 discs but are very close, I think 323 discs need spacers.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                    996 425/426 calipers fit under 16" avus with 314 discs but are very close, I think 323 discs need spacers.
                    323mm fit under a Avus rim with no spacers, i run a Mov-it set up no problem (323 X 32mm)

Comment

Originally posted by shaun5 View Post
                      323mm fit under a Avus rim with no spacers, i run a Mov-it set up no problem (323 X 32mm)
                      With the 996 425/426 calipers?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Thanks andy10v,

I see that the option you recommend also accepts the A8/S8 (W4D0 615 423 E & W4D0 615 424 E) caliper.

Although the A8/S8 calipers need to have the handbrake cable location widened slightly for the S2 Coupe handbrake and the hydraulic thread is different in that you need to get a custom hose made.

Do you know if the A8/S8 Aluminium option also fits under the 16" rim.

Is there any real benefit going for the A8/S8 lighter caliper?

orsum
                        Last edited by orsum; 20 August 2016, 19:55.

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                          With the 996 425/426 calipers?
                          Not sure what caliper the Mov-it caliper is!! probably not as ive got 32mm discs!!

Comment

The Avus 5 spoke is different to the Avus 6 spoke rim.

According to what I have read the 6 spoke accepts the 996 425/426 caliper on the RS2 carrier.

When I come to fit them if there is a change I will advise.

orsum

Comment

Originally posted by orsum View Post
                              The Avus 5 spoke is different to the Avus 6 spoke rim.
                              orsum
                              Never heard of a 5 spoke Avus. Avus wheels were based on the the Avus concept car that had 6 spoke wheels:

UrS4/S6, S6 plus, S2 and RS2 Wheel Option Codes:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/198577.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
                              X