Biggest disc size under 17" wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest disc size under 17" wheel

Appreciate this will also be dependant on the design of the wheel however what's the rule of thumb regarding the biggest disc you can fit under a 17" wheel ?

Thanks
    Gav
    S2 Cabriolet.........

Originally posted by gavs20v View Post
    Appreciate this will also be dependant on the design of the wheel however what's the rule of thumb regarding the biggest disc you can fit under a 17" wheel ?

Thanks
    Gav
    Also depends on caliper too... I had 345mm discs inside 17"cup reps... don't think would have fitted with Porsche calipers though...
    Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
    S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
    '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

i have 330mm disc with 8-piston calipers from k-sport under my 17' azev wheels with et35
      audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
      TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
      AEM W/M injection

Comment

It depends on wheel and caliper design. 330mm possible rather freely. 345 with 4-pots are expected to be possible under many worthy wheels. There is a real chance to accomodate 350-360 under some wheels but only with floating caliper, no brembo style: there are witnesses of A8 D2 W12 360mm brakes under some 17".

... caliper design matters indeed. Mercedes-Benz W220 has got 330mm 4-piston brakes under OEM 16" rims.

Comment

Thanks . They are 6 pot ap racing calipers. Currently have a 360mm rotor so will look to get this machined down
          Thanks
          Gav
          S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

I have AP 4 pots with 330mm discs and clearance is quite right so you will likely need to machine it down a bit
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Thanks Greg , good to know
              Gav
              S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

I had AP Calipers and the discs were 343mm - fitted under 17s.

Comment

These were under the S6 plus wheels. Not sureif this makes a difference
                  Last edited by URSIMPO; 23 August 2016, 08:16. Reason: Duplicate

Comment

Were they 4 or 6 pot calipers ?
                    S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

on mine I have 360 S8 discs and 18z 6pot calipers with 18" team dynamics pro race wheels, I actually think I could have got away with using 17" rims as there is a load of room.

Comment

My S8 discs (with the standard Brembo calipers) didn't fit under Audi Avus 17" rims once balance weights were involved. Pretty tight without. Spacers would have easily resolved it though.

Comment

Originally posted by gavs20v View Post
                          Were they 4 or 6 pot calipers ?
                          they were 6 pots

Comment

Originally posted by Jaswan View Post
                            on mine I have 360 S8 discs and 18z 6pot calipers with 18" team dynamics pro race wheels, I actually think I could have got away with using 17" rims as there is a load of room.
                            The clue is in the name. 17Z fit under 17" wheels. 18Z fit under 18" wheels.
                            B5 B6 B7 B9

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
                              The clue is in the name. 17Z fit under 17" wheels. 18Z fit under 18" wheels.
                              Depending on the exact disc size used and the generosity of space inside the specific wheel.

A friend, for example, has 406mm disc inside an 18" wheel...
                              Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                              S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                              '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Working...
                              X