8A1820103AB Evaporator for RS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8A1820103AB Evaporator for RS2

hi, there is leakage of refrigerant in my RS2. The entire system other than the evaporator has been renew and check and verified leak free. So the only place for possible leakage is the evaporator which is a out of dash job...

I found 8A1820103AB is the correct part no, however can anyone advice if there is different part no. for the LHD and RHD version? I am after the RHD, and I want to locate the source /supplier before the car sent to dash out job....

many thanks.
    RS2 >> Ferrari: Performance/look ratio

Originally posted by pcfnet View Post
    I found 8A1820103AB is the correct part no, however can anyone advice if there is different part no. for the LHD and RHD version? I am after the RHD, and I want to locate the source /supplier before the car sent to dash out job....
    8A1820103AB = lhd
    8A2820103AB = rhd

Not just RS2 but B4s and CQs

http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80+...820-820010/#12

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thanks URS4boy!! your link of diagram is much better than www.vagcat.com!

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
      8A1820103AB = lhd
      8A2820103AB = rhd

Not just RS2 but B4s and CQs

http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80+...820-820010/#12

Comment

can anyone suggest where can I buy this? I found one place but cost me a fortune .... over 660EURO....

Comment

these guys should have the right one but you'd need to do some checking first
          http://www.buycarparts.co.uk/hella/944356

Comment

Yes for some reasons I cant load their page properly from desktop...

but now I can load it now via my mobile slowly...

Originally posted by mike74 View Post
            these guys should have the right one but you'd need to do some checking first
            http://www.buycarparts.co.uk/hella/944356

Comment

Finally my mechanic have time to look for leak of my RS2 air conditioning system. The dashboard is out and the evaporator is found to have leaks. Due to the obsolete of the RHD version of the evaporator my mechanic is going to weld the leak himself. He asked me if this low pressure switch 8A0959483aa can be deleted or not because this would be one potential leakage in future and its not so easy to check and replace.

Dashboard out
              8A0959483aa Low Pressure Switch
              Low Pressure Switch connected

I know little about how the air conditioning work in our car, but I've been told that the high pressure switch is enough to protect the system/pump. Is it true that its safe to deleted this low pressure switch (and just connected the two wires together to enable the pump working?)
              Last edited by pcfnet; 17 November 2016, 07:37.

Comment

Originally posted by pcfnet View Post
                .. Due to the obsolete of the RHD version of the evaporator my mechanic is going to weld the leak himself. He asked me if this low pressure switch 8A0959483aa can be deleted or not:
                The low pressure switch is used to prevent the A/C compressor from being activated if there is not enough (or any) fluid/gas in the system. I don't think that you should eliminate it.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Whilst it is true that the high pressure switch is there to protect the system/pump, the low pressure switch is even more important to the A/C system and you shouldn't run without it.

Firstly, it prevents the system running if the refrigerant is low or you've run out of gas, but even in a normal system it is the low pressure switch that regulates how the system works and turns on and off to prevent the evaporator from freezing and manage the overall system gas flow.

it is as likely that the source of your leak is the low pressure switch itself or the o ring that seals it onto the valve as it is the evaporator.

John

Comment

Thanks John, my mechanic told me modern car usually come with the high pressure switch only which will be triggered and protect the system, thus it seems to him that the switch is not really that necessary (There is a high pressure switch originally installed somewhere in the system). Additionally He will install a temperature regulated switch which act like a climate control and disable the pump when the temperature reach certain level; To me it works similar to the 2nd case where the system run normally but it will prevent the evaporator from freezing/overrun. Please correct me if it doesnt make sense or think the switch is really essential to leave behind.

His real concern is to eliminate potential future leaks. Its not so easy to find someone trust worthy to work on cars like RS2 in Hong Kong, I agreed with him that if we understand thoroughly enough we can eliminate/modify some sensors / parts if it helps to simplify the future maintenance.

Originally posted by johne View Post
                    Whilst it is true that the high pressure switch is there to protect the system/pump, the low pressure switch is even more important to the A/C system and you shouldn't run without it.

Firstly, it prevents the system running if the refrigerant is low or you've run out of gas, but even in a normal system it is the low pressure switch that regulates how the system works and turns on and off to prevent the evaporator from freezing and manage the overall system gas flow.

it is as likely that the source of your leak is the low pressure switch itself or the o ring that seals it onto the valve as it is the evaporator.

John

Comment

More modern compressors have better self-regulation of pressure to allow them to be more efficient and they may well be able to run without a low pressure switch. I wouldn't run the system in our cars without a low pressure switch but if you do as you suggest you may survive and if the pump fails it is certainly easier to get to to replace.

I appreciate you want to eliminate leaks in a difficult place but remember you also have the low pressure access valve next to the low pressure switch and either could cause a leak.

An option would be to move the low pressure switch and the low pressure charge port to somewhere more accessible and seal them up in their present position. Most folks have to replace the pipe that runs from the bulkhead through to the receiver drier in the O/S wing at some point. You could get a replacement made up that incorporates the low pressure switch and charge point on that remade pipe or a custom made receiver drier.

In the end it's up to you how much work you want to do. From the posts on here I'm not aware that leaks from the evaporator part of the A/C system are very common, it runs at low pressure and isn't exposed to much corrosion. Once repaired to may find it runs leak free for many years.

John

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for your input. My pump has already been changed to a pump purchased locally by some minor modification on mounting etc. I forgot what it is from but its from a more modern car. One reason that my mechanic want to get rid of this sensor (other than maintenance purpose) is because usually I need to order the parts aboard which will takes quite a bit of time. But surprisingly I just check its available locally, I guess it is used by some other audi/vw.

Due to this I believe we will buy a new sensor and wont delete this.

Originally posted by johne View Post
                        More modern compressors have better self-regulation of pressure to allow them to be more efficient and they may well be able to run without a low pressure switch. I wouldn't run the system in our cars without a low pressure switch but if you do as you suggest you may survive and if the pump fails it is certainly easier to get to to replace.

I appreciate you want to eliminate leaks in a difficult place but remember you also have the low pressure access valve next to the low pressure switch and either could cause a leak.

An option would be to move the low pressure switch and the low pressure charge port to somewhere more accessible and seal them up in their present position. Most folks have to replace the pipe that runs from the bulkhead through to the receiver drier in the O/S wing at some point. You could get a replacement made up that incorporates the low pressure switch and charge point on that remade pipe or a custom made receiver drier.

In the end it's up to you how much work you want to do. From the posts on here I'm not aware that leaks from the evaporator part of the A/C system are very common, it runs at low pressure and isn't exposed to much corrosion. Once repaired to may find it runs leak free for many years.

John

Comment

Working...
                        X