VEMS S2 trip computer ouput

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VEMS S2 trip computer ouput

I'm looking for some help, I would like to put a request into the VEMS development team to develop an output for the stock S2 trip computer for the VEMS ecu.

In order to do this I need to try and find some data on the output the stock ECU sends out to the dash.

Obviously as I don't have a stock ecu anymore I can't, could anyone scope the output coming on pin 31 on the motronics plug?

Surely if VEMS are serious about this they will do the investigations.

That motronic output from memory is just a voltage level 0-5V range that linearly tracks the amount of fuel being used... I've never found out the scaling of this to determine if autocheck also has to be calibrated.

What I mean is - does say 2V on an ABY report the same amount of fuel being consumed as 2V on an RS2 ECU ?

I do know that the Autocheck module on RS2 is different to S2 - this may be about fuelling, but more likely about wheel size. Never explored it.

If there is a spare DAC channel inside the VEMS box then it should be easy enough to configure it and scale it according to the application... Guessing other non Audi applications for VEMS would have slightly different requirement so it would need to be generic enough for them to take on board - for that reason I think your chances of success are better if you go that way.

To be honest I didn't spend a great deal of time researching this in the past - I hope to do so when I get time to move the engine simulator project forwards again - maybe the Volvo or Porsche forums have unearthed some things already.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

its the internal ecu calcualtions on pressure for mpg etc.

also it would need caluclating to your fuel pressure and injector size also. a change in injectors deems the computer useless.

i think a good idea would be to compare the rs2 to the s2 for the difference.

Comment

vems calculates this value already in km/ litres gauge already it uses the injector flowrate in cc/min databox in vemstune, so none of the above concerns apply because you already tell the ecu how big your injectors and it's easily changable. If you looking at the default vemsmap I gave you and go to engine setup and press f1 full explanation is there

Injector Flow Rate
        This is used solely to calculate fuel consumption if a wheel speed sensor is connected.
        @ S2central, because the focus of the vems was to provide pnp ecu to allow engine control for motronic cars ( there are more applications than the S2 ), something like this is like a cherry topping, if there was enough interest and data on it then they would I have lead to believe take it into consideration

Primary focus for me would be ABY / AAN which is the largest base then if it works look at rs2

I'm really looking for any information here if not then I 'll have ask around

Comment

tbh im not sure how or if you could integrate

im not sure on the complexities of the ecu. sure paul can help here but maybe a daughter board with the feedback chips on for a seemless setup.

having siad that IIRC the vw stuff is built into the clocks so maybe ours is. interested to see if you manage this just from the challenge prospective. good luck

i think i know what your after jamo and it will make the car seem like a factory setup with a good map and the stock tools working.

Comment

I'm working on a product to do exactly that. The "TDS-1" is a box that was originally designed to interface with some key stock ECU signals (such as boost, air temperature, and battery voltage) and interface with the factory radio display to output that information into the center display area. I've taken over production of these units and am working on a firmware update to support the Bosch Motorsports serial communication protocol (same one used by things like the AIM dashboard). VEMS supports this protocol, so streaming vems data to the cluster will be a matter of just plugging in the TDS-1

here's some info on the product. I expect re-release date to be sometime around the end of this month. The new firmware will take a few weeks after that to release but it is in the works.

http://www.boost-instruments.com/TDS-1.html
            Marc Swanson
            Proprietor, EFI Express
            95.5 //S6 Avant
            90' Coupe Quattro V8 4.2L twin turbo
            93' //S4
            83' UrQ
            97' F250 7.3 diesel

Comment

Unless Motronic source info can be found on how this is scaled for AAN/ABY or ADU then it could be achieved accurately with some datalogging to capture the pin 31 ECU output and plot that against injector duration whilst driving. From duration you can calculate injector volume in ccpm and thus get an idea of the shape of the curve that Autocheck uses to estimate fuel usage.
              Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I like Marc's idea... glad to see someone picked up that TDS-1 concept. Watching that one !
                Paul Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by a4kquattro View Post
                  I'm working on a product to do exactly that. The "TDS-1" is a box that was originally designed to interface with some key stock ECU signals (such as boost, air temperature, and battery voltage) and interface with the factory radio display to output that information into the center display area. I've taken over production of these units and am working on a firmware update to support the Bosch Motorsports serial communication protocol (same one used by things like the AIM dashboard). VEMS supports this protocol, so streaming vems data to the cluster will be a matter of just plugging in the TDS-1

here's some info on the product. I expect re-release date to be sometime around the end of this month. The new firmware will take a few weeks after that to release but it is in the works.

I have something like this but not what Jamo asked for. My system displays relative pressure (actual) and peak (last 5 seconds). It uses the dash screen. If there is a message to be displayed from the car then it overrides the boost gauge and displays what is to be displayed.
                  Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

is it of use on the b3 / B4 platform trip computers though since we don't have the radio signal input?
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Even we poor cousins in the UK with B3/B4 machines do have support for the RDS interface on Autocheck - its just that Audi UK in their ****ing infinite wisdom decided that we Brits wouldn't like the perfectly lovely Blaupunkt radios that used the interface and instead we got some POS from Sony that doesn't support it... The RDS interface is sitting there looked to be used in ALL autocheck cars.
                      Paul Nugent

Comment

sweet
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by a4kquattro View Post

Well I never! keep us all informed

Comment

wow, this is a cool feature! I'm excited about getting Vems going in my coupe...

Comment

If that also works on our S2/RS2 cars then it's useful. IIRC until now TDS-1 only worked on UrS4 cars

Comment

Working...
                              X