Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black B4 sedan - lots of extras

So here is my story.
    This is my first car, Audi 80 B4 2.0 66kW (ABT) 1992, bought in April 2010. It was in quite bad condition, lots of parts needed replacement + body damage (hood and left side). Only extras were manual sunroof and OEM rear roller sunblind, it didnt even had central locking. So basically there were no extras.
    At the beginning I thought that its just my first car and I definetly wouldnt care so much about it but it went totally different.

Pictures from advertisement:

First to do list was:
    • Buy new hood
      Buy new left side taillights (corner+trunk)
      Buy new back bumper
      Buy new right mirror
      Buy new front corner lamps
      Buy new middle plastic trim for driver's door
      Buy missing grill for bumper
      Buy engine shield
      Buy new wheels and tires
      Buy new vent for radiator
      Change springs from sport to normal
      Change front brake disks and brake pads and re-paint rear drums

After those changes I started to enjoy driving my car and that is the reason why I decided to start working on it. After browsing web for some weeks I made a list of some extras and other things to get as soon as possible. The exact list was:
    • Auxilary gauges and sensors for oil temp and pressure
      Install lighting inside gear knob
      Hella rear spoiler (IMO competition one is ugly)
      Electric sunroof
      New steering wheel
      Outside temperature display with sensor (display is inside instruments cluster)
      Electric mirrors
      4x Electric windows
      New doorcards
      8 buttons for console instead of 4
      Sun visors with mirror&light
      Cigarette lighter for center console
      V6 front bumper trim (fog+corner)
      Trip computer with minicheck
      Wiring for fog lights
      Rear seat with head rest
      Noise mat for hood

After I had had it for a year I decided to go on with upgrading and then I found those S4 heated seats with height adjustment:

For installation I had to buy wiring for heating and and b4 passenger seat with height adjustment, to get bottom from it:

Bottom removed from b4 seat:

Bottom from b4 seat installed to c4 S4 seat:

Result:

Then I accidentaly found trunk cover which is very rare:

Some days later I had time to install 4x hand-grab lights:

Then I managed to claim armrest for driver's chair, diff button for middle console and cruise control switch:

For a while I used Kamei front grill with Audi embem:

The next upgrade was S4 steering wheel and trim for dashboard:

Then I tried to fit S4 taillights but it wasn't succesful:

As It was getting darker and darker towards winter I decided to install relays for headlights. So I made wiring harness and put it in place:

After opening doors one by one for two years I finally got fed up with it and I decided to buy electrical central locking system. Installation was quite easy but I had lots of problems with control block and resoldering it was solution for it:

Then I managed to get some white parts for interior. I was able to use only cloth from seats because they were from avant, but mine is sedan. I also had to install rear roller blind into new cover, but it was a pice of cake for me.

I was also lucky to get S2 auxilary gauges:

As there were leftovers from cloth, I decided to do something with armrest:

Some months later I found something very exciting for my ride - dashboard with passenger airbag. I also got front doorcards from that car. Only problem was opened airbag, but I managed to get new one. With that package I also got 3rd roll-out safety belt:

Next package was headlight washers set:

Then I decided to fit trip-computer buttons and headlights washer button inside windshield wiper lever. It was like playing with legos:

Had browsed ebay for RS2 grills and found out that they cost more than 400 euros, I decided to make mine out of original grill. Materials cost a bit more than 40 euros + 10 euros for RS2 emblem:

Something rare from scrapy. Funk button and steering wheel covers for installing S6 C4 steeringwheel:

After installing new dashboard and front doorcards:

Wooden trim for interior:

V6/S2 headlights:

Cruise control. It was quite tricky to install cruise control for a car which is out of compability list (66kW ABT engine). I had to use custom solutions but at the end of a day it worked:

As I failed to fit S4 taillights I decided to give another try and I cut out the middle part of it. So it looks like that:

And this is how the car looks now:

What about future plans?
    • Rebuild left rear-arc(damaged)
      Paint whole car
      Find S2 instruments cluster or dial-faces
      S2 bumpers (front and back)
      Colourline taillights
      Trim ceiling and pillars with black leather
      V6 exhaust (last part of it)
      Heating for rear footwell
      Heated windscreen washers
      Heated rear seat
      Door lock heating (need locks for it)
      US middle console (maybe even with cup holders)
      AC
      1.8T or 1.9Tdi engine
    Last edited by Kermps; 8 April 2014, 10:58.

Hey, your story is almost 1:1 as mine, just your car is 2 years older and black
    What did you did to make cruise working? I have the same engine and got all necessary parts but I haven't figured out how to attach it to throttle.

Comment

It's quite hard to explain. I used another metal rod to extend current one. Then i drilled holes through it and used metal clips to fasten it to that black plastic part, which can move along the original rod. I also had to drill hole through plastic part. Then I bent the other end of the rod and put it through a hole, which was at the side of throttle valve ...(i don't know the right word for it), I mean that thing which moves when you push throttle. Then i also drilled a hole through the rod and fastened that end to that thing which moves when throttle is pushed. I will take some pictures next week. Then you can see what I'm trying to say
      Last edited by Kermps; 9 February 2013, 16:51.

Comment

Thanks for explanation, I got that.
        BTW heated washer jets can be taken from C4 and they shares wiring loom with under bonnet light and windscreen wiper motor. Check V6 B4's at scrapyards for wiring. Also heated doorlocks can be taken from C4, pre-facelift B5 and maybe pre-feacelift D2 and A3. Wiring is different on them, but I see you are familiar with soldering iron

Comment

I guess I go for A6 C4 locks, because then I can change all locks: 2 doors, trunk lock(must be from sedan) and ignition. I had one set with two keys last year when I broke A6 C4 TdiQ into parts , but I sold it for 25 euros. Now I regret it. At least I didn't give wiring and blocks away:

Does heated washer yets wiring loom looks like that?

Comment

Yes, it's from heated washer jets. It's from C4 right? Be sure wires inside bonnet are long enough because C4 jets are closer together and requires shorter wires. If you change all locks, go for HAA type key as I did, it's easy and very nice conversion.
            Here's B4 loom for washer jets, bonnet light and wiper motor:

Comment

Yes it is from C4. Wires are quite short yeah, so I will keep an eye out for B4 wiring loom
              Those locks were HAA type, now I regret it even more

Comment

Great work.

As you've posted I presume you're looking for feedback ?

Paint the rear brake drums black, do not draw attention to the fact that they are drums with red paint. Rears discs from a 16v will suit, assuming you don't go to 5 x 112 hubs at the front first, and early A4 rear discs.

While S2 clocks and gauges are nice, a set of black gauges are still just as good on a black car. Rather than spend money on the S2 clocks, I'd spend it on a carbon dash set from an Avant.

If you don't like the competition boot spoiler, have no boot spoiler, and just have your existing top of the rear window spoiler, I think the Hella one is "very ugly". Sometimes less is more. Standard bonnet grille with a black surround, will nicer than an "RS2" grille. Your car is not an RS2, doesn't look like one, (yet), so the standard grill would be more appropriate imho.

Again, if it was me, I wouldn't have spent money on those alloys. Factory oem 15" would suit the car better for the time being. Ultimate aim would be to migrate to 5 x 112 pcd.

Coilover kit ?, for a nice stance.
                S2 Bumpers, as you've mentioned.
                White indicators for the current bumper.

Did the seat base have to be cut off from the "mounting frame" with an angle grinder, or is it just a matter of unbolting / disassembling it and reassembling it onto the base of the urS6 seats?

Like the information on the heated locks / C4 style keys. The v6 rear exhaust box will look good.

Looking forward to your posts re the rear seat heating.

Any photos of your Colourline line that you mentioned of your list of future plans.

If you can fit climate to the car, and also an 1.8T / 1.9tdi, the fitting of the quattro drivetrain to the rear will be within your ability. Worth the effort imo.

Regardless of my "constructive comments", you're doing great work with this B4, and enjoying it.

Thanks for sharing.

Kind regards.
                Last edited by macspring; 3 February 2014, 01:11.

Comment

Mdz I told you how You can instal cruise control, why you haven't done it?
                  without Turbo is no future

Comment

nice work, but why you installed diff button?

Comment

Originally posted by ansid View Post
                      Just in case, who knows what future brings

Comment

I will swap drums for discs and I will use A6 C5 brakes instead of B4 ones.
                        Originally posted by macspring View Post
                        Again, if it was me, I wouldn't have spent money on those alloys. Factory oem 15" would suit the car better for the time being. Ultimate aim would be to migrate to 5 x 112 pcd.
                        Im looking for factory ones but they are quite expensive. Even competition wheels are sometimes cheaper than OEM 15" alloys, but I always miss those opportunities. Those alloys I got 3 years ago when I gave away Golf 3 OEM alloys and got them in return.

Coilover kit ?, for a nice stance.
                        S2 Bumpers, as you've mentioned.
                        While indicators for the current bumper.
                        As I live in cold country with lots of snow in winter I think coils are not for me as long as its fwd.
                        White indicators are waiting for installation.
                        OEM S2 bumpers are quite rare in my country. But I'll keep an eye out for them.

Did the seat base have to be cut off from the "mounting frame" with an angle grinder, or is it just a matter of unbolting / disassembling it and reassembling it onto the base of the urS6 seats?
                        It is just a matter of disassembling base from b4 seat and reassembling it to c4 seat.

Looking forward to your posts re the rear seat heating.
                        I'm still looking for heated c4 rear seat with matching wiring loom and buttons. But when I get them, I'll let you know about it

Any photos of your Colourline line that you mentioned of your list of future plans.
                        Here they are:

If you can fit climat to the car, and also an 1.*T / 1.9tdi, the fitting of the quattro drivetrain to the rear will be within your ability. Worth the effort imo.
                        Converting it to quattro is the ultimate goal

Comment

Originally posted by ansid View Post
                          You can ask the same questions about S2 and RS2 badges everywhere.
                          Maybe somewhere in his head the owner really believes he is driving one...

Apart from that, it's always good to see the car restored, but I'd choose a better specced chassis to start with.
                          http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Originally posted by Kermps View Post
                            Funk button
                            What is it for?

Comment

At the moment it is just lighted up, no function yet, but I will figure out something funky for it

Looks like I have forgot this thread, but I will correct my mistake. Here are some upgrades I made in last couple of months:

1) Installed autocheck. So basically conversion from minicheck plug to autocheck plug + some extra wires. Then I also tried 260km/h speedo, but I put 220km/h back.

2) Then I finally got last wooden trim parts for interior. As they didn't fit to old type S2 gauges, I had to instal new type auxilary gauges. Although they are not gray anymore, I like it

3) After seen some pics, I quickly sold my S4 streering wheel and bought C5 S-line steering wheel. It wasn't a plug and play replacement, but it was worth my time

4) Then I finally got rid of drum brakes and installed discs

5) To improve audio system I decided to add those things

6) Because the pillars were black, then I had to trim ceiling and all the other pillars with black leather. On those pictures sun visors are still light, but I recently painted them into black.

7) Also installed heating for rear footwell. Sorry no pics after installation, only made one before

So, as I'm going to have two weeks off from work, I decided to take that luggage with me to my summer house

Climate parts from under bonnet, ABS from 94. year B4 (version without switch) and some plastic parts.
                              Last edited by Kermps; 30 June 2013, 17:06.

Comment

Working...
                              X