Driveshaft refurbishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft refurbishment

Looking at part numbers and what's required or if there's somewhere to get them done...

This for for an ABY

Inner CV -
    Outer CV-

Outer is easy enough to change, as I've done boots before but not seen a how to on the rear. After tgat, its a clean & paint and hey presto...?
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

If your joints aren't knocking or making any noises I'd just clean them up, give them some electrolysis De rusting, and 're grease and boot them. They've lasted this long, I'd rather fit good known used ones than some shoddy cheap replacements, I've had some very poor ones in the past for various cars. Granted, oem ones are available at more monies, but if they're not broke, don't fix em, spend the money elsewhere.

Sent from apollo 13 using tapatalk
    1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

given track work, i'd expect the nearside oones to need replacing Andy...grab the shaft and see how much play there is in there, I was quick suprised on mine and replaced both the front and rear ones and they felt good and tight compared to the slack original ones. Inner cv is easy to get off, they are on a circlip from memory and slide out. The outer can be a b*tch though...I had a thread somewhere that documented the fun I had last summer
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

You must have those mixed up, my routers came off fairly easily, wind the hub bolt in and it pops the joint off the shaft, retained by a spring clip. The inners do have a circlip holding the joint on the shaft, but I had to best the living $h1t out of mine to get the inner race to "slide" off!

1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
          wind the hub bolt in and it pops the joint off the shaft, retained by a spring clip. Sent from apollo 13 using tapatalk
          This^^^
          They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
            You must have those mixed up, my routers came off fairly easily, wind the hub bolt in and it pops the joint off the shaft, retained by a spring clip. The inners do have a circlip holding the joint on the shaft, but I had to best the living $h1t out of mine to get the inner race to "slide" off!

I agree the inner ones are often a complete nightmare. I had to press mine off last time
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Anyone got part numbers for the inner & outer CVs? I see SKF offer them; any other aftermarket ones worth looking at?

SKF VKJA5261 & 8005 Front. Anyone confirm these?
              Last edited by Rusty; 26 January 2016, 10:43.
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

OE numbers

Front
                Outer 893498099LX
                Inner 431498103C

Rear
                Outer 893498099PX
                Inner 431498103CX
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Are ABY & 3B driveshafts the same? They're the same part no on vag cat...
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Anyone confirm the above?
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

How much movement should there be in the joints? Neither have any noticeable rotational movement but one allows more axial movement to than the other. If feels like the cage is ever so slightly binding on the inside of the outer ring and limiting the movement a bit. Which is normal?

I've taken both to bits and cleaned them and while a little wear is visible, I've not seen anything that's damage or serious wear.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Went for the SKF 8005 inner CVs with some replacement outer boots, as I wasn't happy with the difference between the 2 inner CVs I removed. I've completely dismantled my shafts and have cleaned the outers and rebuilt them, so am just waiting for the parts now. In the meantime, I'll strip and paint the shafts, to offer a little protection and neaten things up.

Been quite interesting to do and something that I've meant to do for a while, as they're all original, bar the outer CV boots, which I replaced 8 or 9 years ago.

I'll look in to doing the rears at some point too, as well as the prop...
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Can anyone shed any light on the rear driveshafts? I want to get inner and outer CVs and understand they're unique to the S2?
                          Last edited by Rusty; 18 October 2016, 17:22.
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Pete reeves have them in stock

Comment

Shafts themselves are unique.
                              The joints are both shared across quite a few models / platforms

Inner - Spidan (GKN) 20273 (431 498 103 C)
                              Outer - Spidan (GKN) 22748 (893 498 099 P)
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X