AEL to urS6 HP2 compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEL to urS6 HP2 compatibility

The Spring perch on my AEL c4 Quattro has collapsed and the other side is very thin and even starting to hole.

So I'm considering the possibility of changing them for urs6 hp2 struts.

Question is, is there anything on the two setups that are compatible . Such as springs and shocks maybe.
    C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
    2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
    Schrick 272 cam
    C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
    ITG filter

I swapped UrS6 struts on my AEL and all was direct fit.
    Choose the spring/shocks you want: S6's will be stiffer, A6's more comfortable.
    I fitted S6's and I think it was better to leave A6's shocks/springs.
    sigpic

Comment

You can use your old springs, shocks and everything despite the obvious calipers and brake disks. Even the wheel bearing is the same on S6 and A6 and 100 C4.

Comment

Originally posted by Petu View Post
        You can use your old springs, shocks and everything despite the obvious calipers and brake disks. Even the wheel bearing is the same on S6 and A6 and 100 C4.
        Excellent to hear... Is it easy to get the baring out without spliting them?

Im wondering if there are maybe new urs6 struts available and I could just swap over all the other bits.

I have a pair of hp2 callipers in a box, just need new discs and pads then ?

Schrick 272 cam
        C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
        ITG filter

Comment

I recommend you to install new wheel bearings anyways, upper strut mounts, rubber boots for the shocks. You can change the shocks later if they are still good at the moment.
          You need some bigger discs(314mm) and pads yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Giacomo View Post
            I swapped UrS6 struts on my AEL and all was direct fit.
            Choose the spring/shocks you want: S6's will be stiffer, A6's more comfortable.
            I fitted S6's and I think it was better to leave A6's shocks/springs.
            Re springs and shocks, I'm sure I read that the AEL quattro A6 came fitted with 'sports' suspension as standard, and was also a little bit lower compared to a normal fwd A6.

Is this correct? and by any chance did audi just use S6 springs and shocks? Or was it something different ?

Schrick 272 cam
            C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
            ITG filter

Comment

Time ago I've made a search on Etka and the 1BE sport suspension pulled out several different spring codes depending on the car.
              So I can say quite surely that springs and shocks has different stiffness from AAN to AEL quattro.
              Also, I drove an A6 quattro with 2.0 140 hp engine and 1BE suspension and the car was a bit taller and less hard.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Petu View Post
                And just to be sure, are the top mounts the same on all c4 models as well ?

Thanks for all the help and advice guys.. much appreciated.

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of top mounts, wheel baring and rubber boots?

I think I will get the discs and pads from brembo..

Schrick 272 cam
                C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                ITG filter

Comment

Won't UrS strut towers (along with the hub) push the tires out? Maybe the added flare and offset won't be noticeable on 100/A6 fenders?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMachine View Post
                    Won't UrS strut towers (along with the hub) push the tires out? Maybe the added flare and offset won't be noticeable on 100/A6 fenders?
                    Good point!.. At the moment I'm actually using 15mm spacers because the 17" alloys I have are from a 2002 A4 and the tire was catching the spring perch without spacers.

I wonder if fitting urs6/HP2 struts would allow me to stop using the spacers?

Schrick 272 cam
                    C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                    ITG filter

Comment

Yep, I would think that this should take car of that. It's either 10 or 15mm difference.

Comment

I have always taken the brake upgrade and spring/shock thing as a different project because you can use all the same spring setups as S6 or A6, they are all intercchangeable. IMO there are four main options.
                        1. Factory non sport(not looking very good but good clearance and comfort on bad road conditions)
                        2. Factory Sport 1BE (Looks better than non-sport, clearance ok, better on smooth pavement and going fast and cornering, still ok on bad roads)
                        3. Aftermarket H&R or etc. No personal experience but probably the best looking from the three but not so practical and comfy.
                        4. Building your own coilovers(changeable ride height I would like)

And the springs all differ depending on your engine, transmission and sometimes even if the car has AC or not.

I would go with Lemförder top mounts, rubber boots. Not sure about the bearing. Atm i'm using SKF. But have had them fail quite shortly. Now I am running ones that I filled up with extra grease.

Comment

Working...
                        X