X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild after mishap Project Unknown

So..

I thought I would start a page about my new project I guess
    Unfortunately I only owned this car for 4 months until I had an accident.
    But luckily I was fine and cars are replaceable/fixable

I have just got the car back and am deciding what to do with it.

I really want to repair but my knowledge of these engines are minimal so will need your help! :

Damage from eye is

Wings
    Brown sensor in inlet
    Bonnet/grill
    Front slam
    Headlights
    Bumper
    Power steering pump
    Snapped cambelt :/
    Cracked camshaft pulley
    Bent\crushed exhaust
    Engine and gearbox mount legs snapped

Last edited by Rich; 17 January 2018, 20:25.

I was busy tonight I've started stripping
    Engine was complete pushed back

IMG_8960.JPGIMG_8963.JPGIMG_8962.JPGIMG_8961.JPGIMG_8689.JPG
    Last edited by Rich; 25 January 2018, 22:59.

Comment

Glad to hear you are okay, do you know if you bent any valves ? (Looked like the cam belt spun and stripped the belt).

Comment

I've took the head off today
        I'm used to working on my old polo g40 engine 1.3 supercharged so this was a bit bigger and lots more things to remove! But I got there in the end

Valves look ok slight marks but not sure whether that was from removing
        Would you be able to tell visually if it was bent
        Pistons look ok no marks

Now the choice whether to forge or just service and keep as is

Last edited by Rich; 22 January 2018, 16:33.

Comment

You will have most likely bent a valve or two stripping the teeth so having ahead rebuild would make sense. There was a full set of mounts on eBay recently so might be worth taking a look to get hold of those. As for pas pulley and cam pulley these should be interchangeable with other similar models too.
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I can't see any damage to the cylinders and if all the valves closed and sealed I'd guess okay.

Having just taken the engine out for a cambelt and then stripping it I can't offer impartial advice...but while you're at it, if you're not in a rush go for a full clean up. You already have to get a head gasket set anything else will be just change I did get my aluminium bits cleaned and boy does it make the engine look different!!

Comment

With that cam belt damage (stripped teeth) the crank and head (cams) were not in-sync and there will have been contact between at least one pair of intake valves (the bigger darker (carboned) ones) and that cylinder's piston. You could have figured out which cylinder(s) were affected if you did a compression test before the head came off. However since that wasn't easily accomplished and you now have the head off, the only way to know which valves are affected is stripping the head. So you are into a complete head rebuild can of worms (or just two valves but that is dumb).

Good luck.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Or you can turn the cams to close the valves one chamber at a time. Then fill the chamber with water. If it leaks away into the ports then you have bent or non sealing valve. Much better than a compression test.
                Rob..
                94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
                87 UR 20v ABY
                97 S6 Avant
                96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
                1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

There is now way I would take a risk and put this head back on hoping it will be ok.
                  If I was you I would Strip it down ,check valves, guides,and do what ever needs to be done

Comment

All the best with the rebuild. Did you hit a tow bar or bollard i.e something in the center as wings and chassis rails look ok?

Comment

Originally posted by edge_devil View Post
                      I can't see any damage to the cylinders and if all the valves closed and sealed I'd guess okay.

Having just taken the engine out for a cambelt and then stripping it I can't offer impartial advice...but while you're at it, if you're not in a rush go for a full clean up. You already have to get a head gasket set anything else will be just change I did get my aluminium bits cleaned and boy does it make the engine look different!!
                      Yes i will defiantly clean things up - was that shot blasted? acid dipped?

With that cam belt damage (stripped teeth) the crank and head (cams) were not in-sync and there will have been contact between at least one pair of intake valves (the bigger darker (carboned) ones) and that cylinder's piston. You could have figured out which cylinder(s) were affected if you did a compression test before the head came off. However since that wasn't easily accomplished and you now have the head off, the only way to know which valves are affected is stripping the head. So you are into a complete head rebuild can of worms (or just two valves but that is dumb).

Good luck
                      im pretty sure the cambelt was in tact when i crashed, it wasnt until they tried to tow it onto the truck, i think it was stuck in gear and the cam pulley was jammed against the head which caused the belt to snap. i may be wrong. although this is the case i will still be taking it apart and inspecting renewing what is needed.. might even go for bigger valves and a bit of flowing whislt im there

All the best with the rebuild. Did you hit a tow bar or bollard i.e something in the center as wings and chassis rails look ok?
                      yep i yet a truck which had a big bull bar on the back, literally no damage to the truck but the bull bar hit my headlights, grill and engine. so it missed bumper although it is still cracked and chasis rails are fine thank god.

It will be tricky when i put it all back together aha!

cheers!

Comment

F me! What did you hit and how hard did you hit it? Sorry if you've already told us elsewhere
                        1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                        2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                        2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Originally posted by 4WDrifter View Post
                          F me! What did you hit and how hard did you hit it? Sorry if you've already told us elsewhere
                          A truck - i hit it hard

Anyway.

The head is striped down and is going to JP on Monday or sometime next week.

I am thinking is it work getting an additional head work done i would like to start buildin this car to over 450-550 ponies as it will no longer be a daily.

Comment

Good luck with the work mate
                            1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                            2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                            2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Originally posted by 4WDrifter View Post
                              Good luck with the work mate
                              Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X