Had someone crash into me - they're denying fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had someone crash into me - they're denying fault

Just wondering what other people's experiences of this is. Someone completely to blame for crashing into me is contesting it. My fear is it will now drag on for months until he finally admits fault - in his case once he has read the highway code! Here's what happened:

Driving to work yesterday morning on a 30mph road I approached a four-exit roundabout to go straight across. All roads coming off it are 30mph too. By the time I've gone more than half way across I saw a mini-van type taxi approaching me - I think he was going straight across. We collided with my front and rear wings on the left hand side severely smashed up and the left wheel pointing in the wrong direction, miraculously now damage to either door . His front bumper had come off completely.

We ended up at the start of the dual carriageway I was supposed to join, giving you an indication of how far I'd come before he hit me. When he got out he shouted at me "You should've stopped! You should've stopped". But there's now two ways about it, he failed to give way to the right at a roundabout.

We went round to a little side street to look at the damage and exchange details. Now this is where I made my one mistake - I checked the damage on my car wrote my details on his pad and went to check his damage at the front of his van. He then handed me a bit of paper with his details and as he drove off I realised he hadn't given me his reg number but his postcode. So I had have name, postcode, phone number and photos of the front of his van without number plate as the bumper had come completely off.

I should have noted it down above all else but when something like this happens it's unexpected and you're in shock. I knew what to do, but didn't do it.

Of course the silly c*** is now contesting my claim against him, my insurance company called him to get the reg number and he claimed to be on the school run and wanted a call back at 11am yesterday. They couldn't initially get a response from him but they eventually got hold of him in the early evening where he refused to give his reg number. Apparently he kept speaking over my insurer saying his solicitors will be in contact.

So he's unnecessarily witholding information from my insurer, he's going to his solicitor for some reason (maybe the imbecile has no insurance?) and he refuses to understand that he is at fault for not giving way to the right at a roundabout.

I know a few people who've been in similar situations - someone causes a crash and denies it until they're blue in the face, or initially admits fault then changes their mind 3 months later and the innocent party doesn't get a payout for something stupid like 15 months after the crash.

Anyone had similar experiences? Anything anyone can recommend to speed up the process and get this c*** what he deserves (I know I've used the c-word a couple times now but it really is appropriate for this reprehensible, arrogant, ignorant moronic excuse for a human being). As I was writing this my insurer gave me a follow-up call and by the sounds of it the two insurers will ask for testimony with diagrams etc. and then hopefully decide that he doesn't know what he's doing behind the wheel of a car

Not in the S2 surely? Sorry to hear about that mate there are some real plonkers out there on the road
    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

I had something similar happen to me, although I did get his reg number, name, phone number and address. The only problems were, it was on trade plates so it wasn't registered to his vehicle, and he gave me a wrong address and phone number.

To cut a long story short, I found out where he lived, got his real address and phone number. I then gave all this to the insurance and because he never responded to any phone call s or letters, 'I' passed it on to the police. The police did eventually call round, but he had moved and the estate agents/solicitors would not give details as to where he had gone to. The police said because it wasn't a life and death scenario, they wouldn't be taking it any further - WTF?!

I then went through the MIB for uninsured drivers and what a total waste of time that was. Now even though the accident was not my fault, because I didn't recover the excess, my insurance went up!!!

So my advice is always make sure you have a witness if you know what I mean and phone the insurance company at least once a day until they sort it. Oh and don't forget your whiplash/dirtress claim, not that I believe in all of that, it's just that if you don't, you will be hounded by the ****heads for the next 10 years until you make one.
      Steve

1990 RR 20V
      1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

It's people like him that make driving in th UK a real pain. Our driving test should be made much harder and I'd gladly re-test every three years to prove continued competency.

It wasn't the S2 luckily - it was the BMW. Though much more valuable, it doesn't have the same character as the S2 which would have been soooo devastating. Just re-insured the S2 though to get myself to work

Steve, I'll be getting a go-pro for my dash now, it'll be worth the money!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4688 View Post
          It's people like him that make driving in th UK a real pain. Our driving test should be made much harder and I'd gladly re-test every three years to prove continued competency.

It wasn't the S2 luckily - it was the BMW. Though much more valuable, it doesn't have the same character as the S2 which would have been soooo devastating. Just re-insured the S2 though to get myself to work

Steve, I'll be getting a go-pro for my dash now, it'll be worth the money!
          Let me know what you go for, as after watching 5 minutes of sh*te on Car Crash Britain last night, I think it's the best way to go..

PS When you do your diagrams for the insurance, I used Google Earth and Street View which worked out quite well.
          Steve

1990 RR 20V
          1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Originally posted by steverrquattro View Post
            PS When you do your diagrams for the insurance, I used Google Earth and Street View which worked out quite well.
            good idea, thanks

Comment

Insurance companies advise to deny blame at the scene.
              I've used Google Earth screen shots to show roads-great idea.
              As for cameras, I watched the car crash prog then had a look on eBay.
              Cheap cameras start at £20- one for front n one for back at that price

Comment

Sorry to hear about your car, I have been thinking about a dash cam for a while now, I think its a must these days with so many f'wits on the road.

I had someone drive into the back of me in London about 10 years ago and they claimed I had reversed into them. My isurance company offered to go 50/50 but I refused and insisted that it be taken to small claims court which my Insurance company paid for.

I attended with a barrister which was paid for by my insurance company, the other guy claimed he was a solicitor but I doubt it. Anyway, I had damage report, and photos of area and street signs and he provided his damage report and judge ruled that I could not have caused the amount of damage done unless I was doing about 25mph in reverse and awarded me all costs.

It did take about 6 months but was worth it in the end, especially to see the the smug gits face when I won! I did have his car details but if you take him to small claims, the car details probably wont matter. I would make sure you report it to the police if you have not done so already.

Comment

Have you notified the police of his refusal to give full details?
                  Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                  Sold ABY-stock

Comment

No, someone at work said that too. I'll ask my insurer if they've managed to get anything out of him yet adn tell them I'll ring the police about it. Markmidge like you I won't accept any blame and that f'wit will dig himself deeper and deeper until we go to court.

Comment

If you have his address why don't you drive past and get his reg?

Sorry if this sounds racist, but is he foreign? lol

Hopefully the insurance companies will have enough sense once they get the diagrams back. I'd love to see his!

I wouldn't imaging the police would be bothered with this.

Comment

I'd be at risk of puching his face in if I tracked him down, same reason I'm not going to try my luck in calling him to get the reg number off him. I don't consider it racist to ask if he's foreign but he may well have not learned to drive in this country and does not know how a UK roundabout works! Having spoken to my insurer today i gather that there is a chance that boths insurers will end up seeing sense and tell him he's in the wrong and I did wonder how interested the police would be...

Comment

Try accident exchange with he's details

Comment

There's a lot of expletives coming here...

Insurance = a load of thieving fukwits, dirty robbing *****, sneaky *****, who will sell you up the ****ing river with out so much as giving 2 *****s.... ******s. The lot of them.
                            Piss boiling *********.

The upshot was a dik on a scooter drove into the middle of my Hilux... Tyre shaped dent behind cab door, so no way on earth I could have hit him.
                            I might add that I was also stationary at the time. ****ing stationary.

And you know what ? My fault.... Why? Because I was there.... If I wasn't there, he wouldn't have hit me.....*****. The fact he had an illegal tyre made no difference, having an unroadworthy vehicle.

Thing about insurance that you have to remember is that first and foremost, they are a business - there to make money. Cheaper for them to settle against me, even though the claim, as I only found out the other day, was £10,800....

Now calm down and breath....

Comment

jubjub that was pretty much my mood when I rang my friend to recover the vehicle and when I rang my boss to let him know I wasn't gonna be in on time. In fact when I turned up, only 10 minutes late mind, he hadn't heard the message yet so I saw his reaction to it

Comment

Working...
                              X