Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint on widscreen

Hey guys,

Had the front wings replaced and resprayed (thanks to dominator for supplying fantastic wings). Body shop did a great job, but they left little specs on the windscreen.

I porperly noticed a week or so later when I got back to work and they said it was overspray, gave me a razor blade to scape it off.

I've been trying with that blade for a while now, but before I go back and get them to do it - I just want to check with you guys if there's anything else I can try?
    Attached Files
    Cheers,
    Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Panel wipe, thinners, neat ISO alcohol or petrol should speed things up no end, get as much off as you can with the razor blade and use a course fibre rag with whatever fluid you use, finish off with kitchen roll.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Try using a clay bar, that usually takes away over spray.

Comment

Try ultra fine grade wire wool (something like 0000 grade).

I recently used this to remove some proper nasty ingrained stuff from a windscreen. I was amazed. Go easy and dont press too hard. I tried on some other glass first to see if it marked it etc. The finish was brilliant. Crystal clear. Take off the lumps with a blade and then finish with the wool.

Comment

Petrol and a Stanley blade will fly through it , a good coat of polish like autoglym resin polish then

Comment

proper razor will take it all off if at the correct angle.

Comment

Another vote for wire wool. Worked at a Porsche body shop a few year ago and that's what we used

Comment

[QUOTE=GrantGam;842115]
                Had the front wings replaced and resprayed (thanks to dominator for supplying fantastic wings). Body shop did a great job...'

If you don't mind me asking- which 'shop did you use? I'm local, and needing some paintwork done soon, cheers!

Comment

Thanks guys, will have a go with wire wool and see how I get on, failing that - back to the razor blade and petrol!
                  Cheers,
                  Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

[QUOTE=mackenzie50;842812]
                    Originally posted by GrantGam View Post
                    Had the front wings replaced and resprayed (thanks to dominator for supplying fantastic wings). Body shop did a great job...'

If you don't mind me asking- which 'shop did you use? I'm local, and needing some paintwork done soon, cheers!
                    Hello,

I used Thomson's garage in Forres, good work there!

Where about are you?
                    Cheers,
                    Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

[QUOTE=GrantGam;842881]
                      Originally posted by mackenzie50 View Post

Hello,

I used Thomson's garage in Forres, good work there!

Where about are you?

Thanks for the recommendation, Grant- I'll bear them in mind for when I'm (eventually)ready mechanically! I'm in Burghead.

Comment

[QUOTE=mackenzie50;842927]

Thanks for the recommendation, Grant- I'll bear them in mind for when I'm (eventually)ready mechanically! I'm in Burghead.
                        No bother!

Don't suppose you'd have access to a ramp where you'd be able to help me check for a coolant leak? There'll be a case of beer in it for you
                        Cheers,
                        Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

[QUOTE=GrantGam;842928]

No bother!

Don't suppose you'd have access to a ramp where you'd be able to help me check for a coolant leak? There'll be a case of beer in it for you
                          Fraid not- I'm very challenged, facilitywise (and skillwise)...I've had to go to that place in Nairn today (Bitz) to arrange to take on my car- as none of the immediately local garages know (or want to know) anything to do with an S2...these guys willl- when I get it transported over to them!
                          I gather you need to get the car up in the air, but have it running, to see where you're leaking. ( I have a huge oil leak, but I know exactly where it's coming from )

Comment

I've had to go to that place in Nairn today (Bitz) to arrange to take on my car- as none of the immediately local garages know (or want to know) anything to do with an S2...these guys willl- when I get it transported over to them!
                            That is great news you have found somebody to take it on.

Which one is going first?
                            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

[QUOTE=mackenzie50;842975]

Fraid not- I'm very challenged, facilitywise (and skillwise)...I've had to go to that place in Nairn today (Bitz) to arrange to take on my car- as none of the immediately local garages know (or want to know) anything to do with an S2...these guys willl- when I get it transported over to them!
                              I gather you need to get the car up in the air, but have it running, to see where you're leaking. ( I have a huge oil leak, but I know exactly where it's coming from )
                              I asked Bitz if there was much they could do in the way of a remap/chipping. The said absolutely no way, was disappointed as the only others the could recommend were away down Southern England. What are you getting done from Bitz?
                              Cheers,
                              Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

Working...
                              X