1996 Audi S6 Saloon aka The Tub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Audi S6 Saloon aka The Tub

it was mentioned recently that i should start a thread on the old tub, so here goes . .

i bought this 1996 s6 in welsh wales last may. it's had around 170,000 miles on the clock, 9 previous owners, a rather patchy pile of receipts and it had a few issues to get it running nicely and i'm well on the way to having it running properly now, thanks to you lot and some great local mechanics, noteably james lundy who's just done the timing belt, toothed pulley, serpentine belt, water pump, thermostat, expansion tank, multi function temp switch, etc.
    he told me that the tub was running two teeth out on the cam timing and the only evidence i could find of the a previous timing belt job was in 2003!!

the difference in performance now all that has been done is amazing!! i'd like to get some new coils etc and a chip upgrade on the ecu.

anyway, to date i've had the above done, a full service, new rear n/s caliper, new front discs and pads (fitted earlier this week), replaced all the dash bulbs (half of them were blown) and i've got the correct boost control valve for the aan engine now too.

the body work has a million scratches on it and there are the usual areas of corrosion (front wings, leading edge of the bonnet) and a couple of light dings; the interior is that from an A6 for some reason - corpse like in colour but as comfortable as my easy chair. janis (hunker7) has kindly donated a original dark blue leather interior which i hope to get fitted at some point soon and quattrokid is bringing the lot up from leeds for me in a couple of weeks' time - what a nice chap he is!

to drive it's an absolute dream - completely silent - no whines, knocks, klunks etc and i can honestly say that it's the most pleasurable car i've ever driven. a lot of car for not a lot of money.

plans for the future?! well, today's dream says new wings, bonnet and respray, but that might be a longgg way off! i'd like the wheels refurbed and some sensible engine mods too but only when the oil burning has been diagnosed. it uses up more oil than it should (approx 1.5 litres per 800 miles) but the plugs are clean and it doesn't blow blue smoke out of the back on cold start, so i'm hoping that the valve stem oil seals are still holding the fort in there. i'm going to get the turbo examined and the oil lines too. oh and a nice stainless exhaust - and a silent one too! (god, i must be getting old . .)

so, a few photos to get this thread going . .

Last edited by geneandbolly; 7 March 2015, 11:28.
    1997 Audi S6 - The Purple Helmet!

Looking good mate do you not want to put some 18s on her??

Comment

no, no, no!! keep it looking standard my dear fellow!!

Comment

Well it looks bloody good standard and nice colour must be worth a bit as theres not many about Is it standard power?

Comment

aye, it's completely standard right down to the audi exhaust system!! it's blue pearl effect paint but i'm not sure whether i'll have a slight change in the blue when/ if respray time comes . .there are some stunning purples out there to choose from!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...o-session.html

Last edited by geneandbolly; 1 March 2015, 15:23.

Comment

At least get 17" on it, boleros or S6 Plus wheels look mint
            '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
            '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
            '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

About time there was a tub thread. Purple would look great, but i'd stick with the original colour.
              1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
                At least get 17" on it, boleros or S6 Plus wheels look mint
                nahhh, you can't beat the original wheels -16" look great on the tub - just the way that mother audi intended . .

Comment

Originally posted by Michael S2 View Post
                  About time there was a tub thread. Purple would look great, but i'd stick with the original colour.
                  thanks mike - it's just a pipe dream at the moment but hopefully if/ when i sell the quattro i'll have the pound notes to think about it seriously . .

Comment

Reply is coming just trying to find a picture for you.
                    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                    96 URS6 plus speck estate
                    94 2.6 80 Avant
                    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Alright there my old china. Love the photos of the old "tub". Great to see your getting there with the overdue service items and the car is starting to run well.Shame about the oil issue though.You kept that quiet

Whatever you do,do not change the paint for those shades of purple unless you want your car to end up as as a parts car when you finally want to pass it on. Have it resprayed by all means but in the original Pearl blue or if you must change then go Ming ,Minging blue.

Here's your colour.What's not to like about it??????????

Pearl Blue LZ5T

96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                      96 URS6 plus speck estate
                      94 2.6 80 Avant
                      99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Nice UrS6. Looks good. Love the colour. No interior shots?

Your comments about the "quiet" hit home. Just before I got my 93 UrS4 in June, 1998. I had been rear-ended (slightly) in my 1986 Jetta Carat (full load, originally with the GTi engine and tranmission, sport seats, etc. but by then a 2L 16V Passat engine with European intake manifold and cams and after market (loud) exhaust - maybe 150 hp). I found the UrS4 at a VW/Audi dealer while the Jetta was in the body shop. When I took the completely stock UrS4 out for a test drive, I was amazed that "all that" power could be had so quietly and without drama. I was sold right there and then. Never looked back.

Enjoy.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Great you've put a thread up on the ol tub

LZ5T Pearl Blue is the best

Spink will do you some chips.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                            Nice UrS6. Looks good. Love the colour. No interior shots?

Your comments about the "quiet" hit home. Just before I got my 93 UrS4 in June, 1998. I had been rear-ended (slightly) in my 1986 Jetta Carat (full load, originally with the GTi engine and tranmission, sport seats, etc. but by then a 2L 16V Passat engine with European intake manifold and cams and after market (loud) exhaust - maybe 150 hp). I found the UrS4 at a VW/Audi dealer while the Jetta was in the body shop. When I took the completely stock UrS4 out for a test drive, I was amazed that "all that" power could be had so quietly and without drama. I was sold right there and then. Never looked back.

Enjoy.

i'll get some shots of the interior tomorrow if the weather lets up for EVEN ONE MOMENT OUT THERE!!!! you're not missing much, trust me, but i've plans for that too.

had the tub out for a good run there and for me, it really is the perfect car . .

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                              Great you've put a thread up on the ol tub

LZ5T Pearl Blue is the best

Spink will do you some chips.
                              maybe the pearl blue is the best when it's new out of the wrapper, although on a sunny day it looks really nice, close up . .

Comment

Working...
                              X