Project 84 Days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 84 Days.

Well you've made it this far. Looks like you'll stick around. You probably want to know what this is all about. Well 84 days from today will be October 16th. On October 16th the Battleborn Quattro event will kick off in Las Vegas Nevada. I plan on attending this event, as I have for the past several years. I have never brought the same car twice, and I think I'm going to keep that tradition going for at least another year.

So now you know what the plan is, but don't know what it involves. I picked up a local 1991 Audi Coupe Quattro for cheap due to quite a few small issues that has been keeping it off the road. Now while it sorta runs and sorta drives, I dont want to just get it running and driving again, i want it to be better. SO I will take the AAN that i have in my garage and replace the 7a that is in it. The goal as you might have already figured out is to take this to Vegas in 84 days. Now the real goal is to get it up and running in 60 days so that I have 2 full weeks to drive it around locally and iron out any wrinkles it might have.

Here is the car, as of right now the only work i have done to the car is the following:
    Replaced driver and passenger side window regulators
    replaced steering wheel
    removed headlight and painted the trim
    swapped wheels.
    replaced door handle and bowden cable

It is a very solid base for this project. Here are a few more shots of how it sits on day 84:

Here is the status of the donor engine:

couple bent valves from when the head was removed:

and this has been purchased and should ship out today from Europe, making this swap doable on my time schedule:

S2 ABY engine harness:

and finally some of the good and bad bits on this car as it currently sits:
    Bad= FLAPS exhaust:

Good= H&R springs with bilstein shocks:

Bad= open breather

Good=New microsuade headliner

Bad= Dried out and cracking tail lights:

Good/bad= RS2 headlights, one broken lens:

Overall I'm excited about this and feel like I can do it in the time table i gave myself. Keep in mind i work 40-50 hours a week outside of the home. I have a wife and child who also need my time. I only have hand tools in my garage and almost zero fabrication tools (ie i have an angle grinder).

Here is my current list of parts that i've purchased:
    Full gasket set for the top end of the engine
    Stock k24 turbo and manifold
    Stock injectors that i was missing
    ABY Harness
    New lens for rs2 headlight
    Oil cooler and lines
    3b Water manifold
    Black leather rear seats and door cards (have front black door cards and couple black upper seat backs)
    stock exhaust
    South bend clutch
    S2 front bumper
    Strut mounts, trans mounts, engine mounts
    Modified 7a Valve cover for 1.8t coilpacks

Need to purchase/pay for;
    new tail lights
    Downpipe fabrication parts and fab time
    Reverse inlet intake manifold (fab time)
    Drivers rear pearl middle trim
    Intercooler setup
    air filter setup (aby or just a cone filter?)
    JHM Short shifter (dont HAVE to buy it, but they make it feel so much better)
    1.8t Coil pack harness
    And I'm sure there are bunches of other random things needed...

Any donations are graciously accepted!

good luck with the project.. sell the 7a cams with head and it will bring some good money

Comment

You can do it!
      Get that engine built first, collecting all the odds and sods to make that fit without having to fabricate parts might cost you some time.
      Go ABY airbox IMHO
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Cool project! What will you be doing with it interior wise?

Good luck with it

Comment

@error404 ideally id like an aby box. If anyone has one available shoot me a message. I have on on the 90with the 1.8t swap. But dont want to butcher that to get this going.

Comment

For the interior ill probably just go with a black leather stock setup. However i do have a set ofof recaros from a b6 s4 sitting in my garage

Comment

Originally posted by rxl View Post
              good luck with the project.. sell the 7a cams with head and it will bring some good money
              It also has the 034 injectors and a set of nology hot wire plug wires which should both be worth a bit of cash.

Comment

aby airbox ordered. Hope you're happy error!

Comment

I am
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

How far away is Vegas from where you live ?

Join the US equivalent of the UK AA to facilitate flat bed recovery. Better safe than sorry if something does go pear shaped.

Nothing like a deadline to keep your motivation on the boil.

Separation from your family with you constantly out in the garage will make their respective hearts grow fonder.

Keep the photos flowing.

Wishing you best of luck during your now next 82 days of 'grief'.
                    Last edited by macspring; 25 July 2015, 15:53.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                      How far away is Vegas from where you live ?

Join the US equivalent of the UK AA to facilitate flat bed recovery. Better safe than sorry if something does go pear shaped.

Nothing like a deadline to keep your motivation on the boil.

Separation from your family with you constantly out in the garage will make their respective hearts grow fonder.

Keep the photos flowing.

Wishing you best of luck during your now next 82 days of 'grief'.

Cheers. The USA does have AAA, same idea. The drive to vegas is about 6 hours... Through the desert. There are small service stations every 50 to 100 miles. But most of it is just desert. Im not too worried. We generally travel in groups down to the event.

Comment

I was out of the country this weekend for work, but i got my gaskets in:

I'm taking wednesday off work, so i plan on getting some car related business taken care of, I should have some real progress to show after that.

Comment

Got a bit done today.

Comment

forgot, these came in too!

I stopped by Mr. Brydon's house and pulled this off a spare engine as well, needs a bit of a polish, but all in good time:

He was also kind enough to loan me this:

big thanks to all who are helping me me out with parts and tools and such!
                            Last edited by Ruffiano; 30 July 2015, 16:52.

Comment

Looks like a fun project you've got there, good luck with it!
                              That exhaust looks, errr, special to say the least...are you planning on keeping it? Would probably look fine if you pimped out the hangers in chrome effect wire

Comment

Working...
                              X