Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi 100 c4 quattro engine and gearbox swap options

Just about to buy a nice 1992 100 c4 Avant
    It has the 2.8e v6 with a 4speed automatic transmission :'( , and quattro :-D
    I can't find definite answers as to the mounting situation for other Audi engines, as far as I can make out if I want a Tdi I need to source another c4 with the 5cylinder and swap everything?
    That's hard to come by here, it was hard enough find this one alone, if I could fit a c5 engine without modifications that would be super
    And I've seen the thread of trying to mount a 1z in a c4
    That was my original idea

My other question is will I need a rear diff to match the manual gearbox I get?
    Thanks in advance

c4 engine swap

hi i put a manual trans & a 1z tdi in a 95 a6 quattro the auto rear diff was different than the manual. i found a c4 quattro manual trans car you need the console and part of the trans tunnel to mount the shifter. i had to make the motor mount brackets. i used the 2.8 frame mounts they seem to work ok

Comment

Originally posted by turboaudis4 View Post
      hi i put a manual trans & a 1z tdi in a 95 a6 quattro the auto rear diff was different than the manual. i found a c4 quattro manual trans car you need the console and part of the trans tunnel to mount the shifter. i had to make the motor mount brackets. i used the 2.8 frame mounts they seem to work ok
      Thanks for replying turboaudis
      That doesn't sound too bad, of course making those brackets sounds like a pain
      I have access to many audi 80 tdi b4 cars here but c4 are very rare in general, the gearbox and rear diff will be coming from a b5 quattro tdi
      Do you have any pics of those brackets you made? It would be greatly appreciated
      Thanks

Comment

look out for the RATIO rear end in automatic tranny cars... the MAY have the 3,889 diff... normally are the 4,111 commen... so.. check this out, before driving; the thorsen unit will NOT fix this....with 4,111 in front and 3,889 in the rear !!

Comment

Sounds like it might be easier to do away with the quattro idea and just make it a tdi fwd, anything is better than this auto box

Comment

if it was me, I'd just buy a silver C4q Avant with the factory 2.5L 5 cylinder diesel with a manual 5/6 speed already in it.

They do come up for sale in the UK, and in the long run it would be the cheaper option, and certainly a lot less grief.

Your level of good luck will be defined by how long you have to wait to snag the right car. Wouldn't think you'd have to wait longer than six months, should be good now as no one is thinking about keeping their quattro C4 because of snow.

Just sayin..........

HTH.

Welcome, albeit a bit belated.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
              if it was me, I'd just buy a silver C4q Avant with the factory 2.5L 5 cylinder diesel with a manual 5/6 speed already in it.

They do come up for sale in the UK, and in the long run it would be the cheaper option, and certainly a lot less grief.

Your level of good luck will be defined by how long you have to wait to snag the right car. Wouldn't think you'd have to wait longer than six months, should be good now as no one is thinking about keeping their quattro C4 because of snow.

Just sayin..........

HTH.

Welcome, albeit a bit belated.

Thanks macspring, wise words there, only reason I want to convert this 92 quattro is because it's the highest spec I've ever seen in this country and it's dead cheap, garaged for last few years, original Dublin reg car, has everything else I want.
              I've seen very very little 100s for sale here, only ever seen one in traffic and it was an a6 c4
              Don't think I'd get a c4 tdi in England in good nick for less than a thousand euro
              I don't really want quattro, this one just happened to be

Comment

Has anyone on here ever put a 5pot tdi in place of the v6 in a c4? Will I have to cut out the mounts from the diesel and weld them into the other?
                Thanks, will make a build thread once I get into it

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanic365 View Post

I don't really want quattro, this one just happened to be
                  No real help to your query, but you'll be glad it is quattro in the long run.

Once you get used to a quattro, fwd is nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post

Once you get used to a quattro, fwd is nonsense.

True, I was thinking from a reliability point of view

Comment

Working...
                    X