Asy/Symmetrical 2 post Lifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asy/Symmetrical 2 post Lifts

Been looking at two post lifts for the garage.
    I don’t have a lot of height 2.9m but its enough to work underneath on a wheelie chair and the benefits of having it for brakes and other maintenance jobs I think it worthwhile investment.
    I thought it would be a simple case of buying and fitting but the more I read about it there is so many options?
    Can anybody tell me which type would most suit an S2 coupe?
    Would be nice to open the doors, but what about the weight distribution of the nose heavy Coupe?
    Symmetrical
    Asymmetrical arms and straight posts
    Asymmetrical with posts at 30deg
    Been looking at 2post with base but thinking of sinking in concrete to make hydraulic hose and cables flush with floor.

Any tips or advise welcome
    Attached Files

I'd definitely go with a two post. Single posts can look a bit scary as the s2 is not a light car and car can end up sitting at a bit of an angle.
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I've been using a two post asymmetrical lift with angled posts (Rotary SPOA10) in my garage for around 10 years now. A symmetrical or an asymmetrical lift is nice for any car, including your S2. The difference is that with an asymmetrical lift the front of the car sits further back towards the posts which give easier access to the front doors.

Comment

My 2 post lift is also asymmetric. As stated above gives more room at the front door plus as cars are generally heavier at 1 end it's easier to balance them on the ramp.

Comment

i have an asymetric 2 post lift and it does get a bit wobbly if you put the car on the wrong way.haha. I only ever do it if i need the car facing a certain way but often put acro props under the front crossmember to keep it steady.

Comment

Thanks for the Info,
            Just was thinking about the wide doors on the coupe.

Originally posted by saltinot View Post
            I've been using a two post asymmetrical lift with angled posts (Rotary SPOA10) in my garage for around 10 years now. A symmetrical or an asymmetrical lift is nice for any car
            That’s a quality lift there Problem for me is height I cant fit a baseless as they are to tall.

Originally posted by martinws View Post
            i have an asymetric 2 post lift and it does get a bit wobbly if you put the car on the wrong way.haha. I only ever do it if i need the car facing a certain way but often put acro props under the front crossmember to keep it steady.
            Martin, does your lift have to posts at an angle or square on?
            Think i will go for straight posted with asymmetrical arms.
            Would like to increase the clearance between the posts slightly and get a new hydraulic hose made up to suit.

I was going to get rid of two acro props I have in the garden left over from garage build, better keep them now
            Attached Files
            Last edited by sjw185; 30 July 2015, 07:33.

Comment

I looked at a 2 post lift but because of the lack of headroom in my garage I went for a scissor lift, I can get all the doors open if needed, it has been a god send as I am doing a full re-furb on the suspension and running gear on my RS2.

I have uploaded some photo's to give you an idea of room under my car, I have ample room to do what I need to do.

The car can go up more if I need to.

Hope this helps
              Attached Files

Comment

What make and model is that scissor lift? I have a friend interested in something like that.

Comment

Flush mount full rise scissor lift? (if you dont want to walk around posts, clear floor when not in use, no issues with low cars)

They do leave a hole to fall in/drop stuff when up.

I think I am going to flush mount my mid rise.
                  Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                  Sold ABY-stock

Comment

That is what I will be going for, seems ideal for small garages.

Comment

Bought mine from a company called Automotech £1299 + vat brand new.

Very good piece of kit for the money, check out their website, they do other garage
                      equipment for decent money in my opinion.

Comment

Cheers I have shared the thread with my mate.

Comment

Much better with the scissor lifts and even better with them sunk into the ground
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy 3169 View Post
                            Bought mine from a company called Automotech £1299 + vat brand new.

Very good piece of kit for the money, check out their website, they do other garage
                            equipment for decent money in my opinion.
                            John, lift looks really stable and surprised at room You get between the scissor to access the exhaust
                            Good website there, loving the sunk in floor scissor but big bucks, and still have to attack the concrete

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Did you want new or used?

How much did you want to spend?
                              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                              X