B3 Coupe quattro 32V V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3 Coupe quattro 32V V8

Hi guys, thought it was about time I posted a project thread.

Had my coupe for about 18 months now, bought it on ebay, it was in fairly tidy condition but I honestly paid far too much for it.

Anyway, its been on and off the road for varying amounts of time as I used to work abroad, and the car was sitting before I got the chance to take it with me.

Since returning to the UK ive tried to sell it twice, but to no avail, so ive commited myself to start a project.

So, as it currently stands, the car is in this state:

Work that I have done so far,

Fitted tubular exhaust manifold, decat pipe, and stainless rear box.

17" TSW Hockenheim clones (wolf race)

Fitted 034 Motorsports Injector upgrade kit.

Diamondblack grooved front discs and EBC redstuff pads.

Also, lots of other crap that needed doing, topmounts, balljoints etc etc.

Currently, the car has no MOT, and frankly doesnt have much chance of passing, for the following reasons;
    Front N/S tierod end has no gaitor, engine mounts are shagged, wishbone bushes are pretty poor front and rear, lots of movement in both subframes, and a couple of corroded brake pipes. Oh, and the front tires are at the limits.

Ive driven it in this state for far too long, requires very delicate use of the clutch and throttle to avoid embarassing bucking and jerking due to all the movement in the drivetrain, and frankly ive had enough! Im sure most of you have had the same troubles at some stage, imagine if everything was shot! Haha.

Ok, so, ive recently splashed out on loads of stuff to get the car how I want it, which is basically a car the handles properly, and is ready for more power. (More on that at a later date).

Today I fitted the 034 Injector kit, which has smoothed things out, and It no longer judders or misses when cold like it used to.

I have also put together a pretty much complete set of bushes to firm the car up, check out this rather alarming picture:

I have, to fit over the next few weeks:

Powerflex wishbone bushes all round
    Powerflex Rear diff mount
    034 Solid Engine mounts
    034 Track density tranny and diff mounts
    034 Track density strut top mounts
    Aluminium subframe mounts all round
    A couple of new Tie rod ends
    Some lowering Springs, (Jamex I believe)

And anything else that gets broken during the big overhaul.

The goal for now is to get it through the MOT so I can start driving it more, and then turn up the power.

I will be tackling the engine and tranny mounts this weekend, ill post up my progress, even if its just so I can track my own progress.

Cheers, this forum is a wealth of knowledge and experience.
    Last edited by Kieron20V; 8 July 2010, 22:43.
    1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Nice to see another 20v, please dont sell it on ebay or some vulture will only kill it for parts. It looks like you have all the right bits for the suspension, all you need now is a set of ARBs and it will be transformed
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Looking good, I'm about to do the same to my 20v
      Where are the "034 Track density tranny and diff mounts" on the web site as I can't find them.
      cheers
      mike

Comment

Originally posted by mikeraz1 View Post
        Looking good, I'm about to do the same to my 20v
        Where are the "034 Track density tranny and diff mounts" on the web site as I can't find them.
        cheers
        mike
        034 mounts page

Comment

Good work, another CQ20 getting the love it deserves - well done that man

Use plenty of penetrating oil on the engine mount bolts before you crank them off as sometimes the captive bolts break loose from the chassis mounts (crappy press fit) and if so you might need to take the rad out to fix the issue on the passenger side - BTDT

Car will be transformed once you rebush it, if i was you i'd get shot of the standard topmounts and use some 034 items too, or you'll be doing that job again in 6 months - stock ones are SHlTE!!!

Where did you get the nicely anodised subframe mounts? Look better quality than the usual ones you see

Oh and likely that you'll benefit from new dampers if all the rest is shot, that'll make a big difference to the ride and handling too
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

@error - pm me I can get decent sets of anodised subframe mounts cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
              @error - pm me I can get decent sets of anodised subframe mounts cheap
              Would you be able to get me a set? I currently planning to get superflex mounts. Would the ones at the bottem of the page linked below be the right ones for the 20v CQ?

http://www.superflex.co.uk/results.p...l=70&Search=Go

CHeers,
              Mike

Comment

Very cool! Interesting that you went for the track density on G/B and diff, but full fat MS on the engine mounts. Welcome to the vibration club anyway

Did you notice any power increase after the 034 and tubby mani?

I second the comment about the standard top mounts too. Get some uprated ones.

Comment

The subframe mounts came from Corey, they look pretty good, and the anodising cant be a bad idea.

@Error 404, I do have some 034 Top mounts, in track density flavour. The extra weight from all the rubber is quite alot, should really help things in that area. Im probably going to leave the standard ones for now, replace them with stock ones if necesarry when I install the springs. They will be replaced with the 034 ones when I can afford some new dampers, or build my own coil overs. There was a nice write up recently on motorgeek for DIY coilovers, with part numbers if anybody else is interested.

Right, im gonna stick the car in the garage, give everything a coat of plusgas and let it sit while I eat breakfast. Then its time for swearing and knuckle sacrifice.

Cheers,
                  Kieron.
                  1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by stiglet View Post
                    Very cool! Interesting that you went for the track density on G/B and diff, but full fat MS on the engine mounts. Welcome to the vibration club anyway

Did you notice any power increase after the 034 and tubby mani?

I second the comment about the standard top mounts too. Get some uprated ones.
                    Stiglet,

I did the manifold over a year ago now, definitely a difference after fitting that, alot better low down. I only fitted the injectors yesterday and went for a quick spin round the airport roads where i work, (not MOT) and its a lot smoother than it was before. There is no longer the push you get at 4.5k, more a gentler push all through the rev range. Its got to be worth it just for the maintenance aspect as the hitachi injectors are ship, and expensive to replace.
                    1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

True. I still notice the push at 4.5k slightly and I think it's not fuelling right. My MPG has suffered a little too. I think to get the best out of these it needs a remap. I'm sure I've got more power though so glad I did it

What are your future plans? I've been tempted by an S2 loom conversion to get a tuneable Bosch ECU instead of the Crappy Hitachi.

Comment

Kieron,

How much did the Aluminium subframe mounts cost? and is it easy to get a hold of a set.
                        cheers

Comment

Mikeraz, the bushes came from ebay, cost me £50 complete for both ends.
                          I had a quick search and I cant see any for sale at the moment, maybe you can get them from him direct. I did notice that his feedback is slipping, surprise surprise. ebay ID is oceanicblu.

Ok, progress today so far:

I took the airbox off and heatshield off the exhaust to get better access to the nut on top of the LH mount, not strictly necessary but I dropped a bolt in the heat shield a while ago and it was rattling like mad.

Time for a brew, then will throw the new mount in this side, and have a go at the next one.

Cheers, Kieron.
                          1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

The tubby mani certianly does make this job a PITA! Make sure you put the heatshield back on, that mani tends to melt things...

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
                              Mikeraz, the bushes came from ebay, cost me £50 complete for both ends.
                              I had a quick search and I cant see any for sale at the moment, maybe you can get them from him direct. I did notice that his feedback is slipping, surprise surprise. ebay ID is oceanicblu.
                              Thats because in real life he is corey jones from quattronics and if you've been on this forum for a while then you will know all the problems he is causing, if not speak to any of the following:

terrybullwon
                              s2dave
                              ross
                              s2pearl

and the countless others.

If anyone wants any solid subframe mounts pm martinjs on here as he's had some made up.

Comment

Working...
                              X