Audi 4000CS Quattro 1986 2.2T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi 4000CS Quattro 1986 2.2T

Hai! I bought this car in late May 2012; http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35016

I drove it most of the summer without bigger problems. The exhaust manifold cracked as expected and in the autumn it developed some slight misfiring. And a wheel bearing had to get changed.

Plans for it is to keep it as a sleeper, get the engine setup somwhere where I want it, which is quite a bit over 500 hp going for 600 hp. Gathering parts all the time and doing work on the car as the pics show.
    Got a set of 7A cams, sturdier valve springs, titanium retainers with some lighter hydraulic lifters. To go with that a oil pump wheel from Teppo Kalske to allow some reving if requred. A new exhaust manifold from Custom Parts-Service, a 7A valve cover to go with a set of 2.5 TFSI ignition coils. Will update as it progresses, but it's painfully slow as I'm not able to manufacture own stuff and waiting for parts to arrive and of course not always time to go to the garage.

Installed a 034 Motorsport gauge pod specifically for the Typ85 chassis which put the extra gauges somewhat in the same position as the Sport Quattro. I've got a VEMS EGT / Lamdbda gauge, oil pressure gauge 0-5 bar and a boost pressure gauge 0-3 bar installed now.

Got some stuff out of the way.

Test fitted the new exhaust manifold to see the position of the turbo etc.

Some comparison pics of the Ebay SS-manifold and the new one made of mild steel. Crap collector design on the Ebay one and it has had to get welded atleast 3 times, previous owner once and I've had it twice. But I found the main reason to it cracking when taking the engine out. Both engine mounts had gone in half.

Nearly ready to lift the engine out. Waited for my friend to get the locking tool made for the vibration damper so I could get the crankshaft bolt out.

Tool in place.

Engine on its way out.

Gave the WG a lick of paint.

Engine in the stand ready for some dismantling and degreasing.

The old cam chain was quite stretched, intake cam was 1/2-1 tooth out of alignment, good thing I've got a new one ordered.

Cams out, ready to unscrew the head nuts and lift the head.

Got the head off, pistons looked great. Polished the soot off them here.

Bought a set of ARP main bearing cap studs and nuts off a Nordicaudi forum member for a great price. Installed them and measured the bearings which were in as new tolerances.

Bought a adjustable cam wheel from Dahlbäck Racing.

Also painted the block black.

nice project keep up the good work and we all like lots of pictures
    ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
    THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Check threads/comments by terrybullwon about the key for the dahlback pulley as it can sheer off and damage the engine

Comment

I've seen the thread and I don't really think the key will be a problem as long as the centre bolt is correctly tightened. I guess as it is made by Tommi's Billet other Tommi's wheels share the same key. And the wheel fit the shaft alot more tighter than the ADU that was mounted and that one was in perfect condition as well.

Comment

i like your car a lot!

we need more pictures friend
          1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
          1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
          BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

Been in the garage most part of the day and got some things done.

Here's a pic of the woodruff key supplied with the DBR cam wheel.

And here's one of the slot on the camshaft. It fits really tight and it's somewhat bigger area than the one on the OEM wheel. And the OEM one just has a square key wich fits in the front end of the slot.

Put the final coat of paint on the block.

Then I went on with opening and cleaning the oil pump and to install the CrMo pump wheel from Kalske.

The new CrMo wheel on top.

Somewhat clean.

This side facing downwards.

Shelves full of parts for my Audis and some other stuff.

Then I went on with taking the injector bungs out of the manifold, going to get these changed, one came out the way it's meant to but 4 had to come out in small bits in a long and nervewrecking way.

Masked up and brushed off the old paint.

This one is going black too like most other things on the engine.
            Last edited by Laaf; 24 February 2013, 20:14.

Comment

I'm going to watch this one

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
              Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
              BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
              BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

looking good. I have a typ85 90 which is the same car. What intercooler setup were you running? any pictures of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
                  I'm going to watch this one
                  Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by martinws View Post
                    looking good. I have a typ85 90 which is the same car. What intercooler setup were you running? any pictures of it?
                    It's a 600x300x76 intercooler, but I don't have any pics of it fitted without the front bumper.

Here's a 3 pics of the car.

Me giving it something it likes. Petrol.

Comment

Loving this project, very nice sleeper
                      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Cool car, but then I do have a very soft spot for type 85 sedans

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                          Cool car, but then I do have a very soft spot for type 85 sedans
                          Nah, you must be kidding

OT: i have seen some big clearance on cam wheels as well, agree with the right clamping force this will be okay. Some bolt can get really hard to loosen.
                          Following this on the side bench the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by quattro84 View Post
                            Nah, you must be kidding
                            You knew it already?

Comment

It is strange that the engine mounts are broken, they 034 track density but maybe they are not so good with little more power than just a chip?
                              IC is changed to 500x230x65 because it looked stupid without the lower part of the front. It is not perfect now, but better.
                              Window trims are also painted black, wanted to paint the door handles too but the paint would propably loosen so fast when touching them all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X