Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1992 AUDI S2 Project - Keep it British with a twist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 AUDI S2 Project - Keep it British with a twist.

After 2 pain's taking years I am finally back in the B3/B4 world.
    I believe it is the only RHD S2/RS2 in North America which makes it the rarest of its kind.
    This thread will serve as a means for me to blog my rebuild and implementation of a new powerplant.

The plan for this summer is the following:
    - Remove the transmission , rear suspension & front suspension
    - Media blast with wallnut shells the subframes , control arms , spindles & differential
    - Rebuild the rear differential
    - Upgrade from a 5-speed 01E to a rebuilt 6-speed 01E w/wavetrac differential
    - Upgrade the rear brakes to use an OEM caliper & Brembo 4 pot caliper
    - Upgrade the front brakes to use a Brembo 6 Pot caliper
    - Install KW V3 coil overs (unless someone can suggest another brand)
    - Install BBS E50 wheels rebuilt into 18" w/ Michelin Pilot sports

Due to the previous owner(s) treating the body poorly , the long term plan will be to do a complete restore of the body and impliment some form of better suspension control.

....more to come.

Does anyone have an OEM RS2 front grill for sale?
    Last edited by Wizard-of-OD; 11 September 2014, 02:00.
    Issam N. Abed
    iABED Industries
    iABED Email | Facebook
    The build thread

Cool.. any pics?
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
      Cool.. any pics?
      I will post this one for now. It is @ AST getting some exhaust work done as the centre muffler was removed
      Issam N. Abed
      iABED Industries
      iABED Email | Facebook
      The build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard-of-OD View Post
        I believe it is the only RHD S2/RS2 in North America which makes it the rarest of its kind.
        It will be rare since others who have imported S2s and RS2s to Canada have waited for LHD cars from Europe or Japan (lots of LHD RS2s went to Japan) to come available under the 15 year rule.

Good luck with your project.
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
          It will be rare since others who have imported S2s and RS2s to Canada have waited for LHD cars from Europe or Japan (lots of LHD RS2s went to Japan) to come available under the 15 year rule.

Good luck with your project.
          I have heard there is a RHD RS2 up here and would love to team up to do a photo shoot.
          Issam N. Abed
          iABED Industries
          iABED Email | Facebook
          The build thread

Comment

Time for an update:

I did not want to post this until the title was transferred into our hands but an almost 2 year nightmare is finally over and a new chapter begins in the life of "K23 VPK". I am usually extremely smart with how I invest my money but sometimes all logic goes out the window and you see something you must have at all costs. We are all guilty of that right

For some time I have been in the market for an S2 Coupe or RS2 . Most of the samples I found were either too much (considering the long term plans for the project) or in too rough of a shape. Enter the beginning which may sound as a rant but is actually a good lesson for all to learn.

APRIL 2012:
            I receive a phone call from a good friend asking if I would be interested in an RHD S2 located in Toronto . The car had been for sale for almost a year and popped up on motorgeek and audifans several times.
            http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?p=586444
            The car was owned by a used car dealership (Anthony Dipaolo @ Dipaolo Motors ) and the seller was having a hard time letting it go due to it being RHD but more importantly due to the legal issues associated with the car.This peeked my interest as it was already imported so that meant I did not have to go through the hassle of importing the vehicle.
            I contacted the seller based on the contact #supplied in the kajiji add and we went from there. The car had dropped from $15,000 to $10,000 CAD to finally $7000 CAD.

The online add stated:
            "rare clean Audi S2 , you will not find a rarer cleaner Audi in Canada. New clutch , timing belt , brakes and head gasket has been done"

The seller proved a bit difficult to work with as he had a day job and ran the dealership in the afternoon as a "side job" out of the Autohaus location on Keele St. with a partner. In the end I arranged to have the vehicle taken to Will Papatolevski @ Auto Select Tuning in Brampton one afternoon for an inspection.

Will put the car up on the hoists and quickly noted a few issues that would need taking care of.
            - Coolant used was the Green non-G12 you find at your local parts store
            - All the control arm bushings were shot
            - Brakes were not new (rear discs would need replacing)
            - Rust bubbles forming under the rear quarter panel trim and door trims
            - Hood and roof had been wet sanded and painted poorly

All in all according to Will the vehicle "drove sound" but was "rough" and the seller stated it had maybe 2 previous owners in the UK (this would prove to be a lie with a quick phone call to the MOT).

Based on the work ahead, and the plan for the long term plan (TTRS motor + B8 RS4 gearbox) I made him an offer of $5700 CAD. He stated it was too low and would need time to reconsider it.

AUGUST 2012:
            The vehicle is still for sale and I am contacted. Seller asks if I would pay $6500 CAD. I state no , my offer is based on what I believe the vehicle is worth. In the end we agreed on the $5700 CAD price tag and a conditional deposit was made and the seller agreed that he would let me know when he could accept payment for the vehicle as there were external factors that wouldn't allow him to release it. This was the 2nd red flag that went up but I was not worried as I wanted the vehicle and had countless contacts in the GTA that could find the rock which the seller would eventually crawl under.

OCTOBER 2012 - JUNE 2013:
            I have to use such a timeline because the events that happened were mind blowing. Seller stated that he was unable to sell the vehicle (after a deposit was made) and was going to repair the rusting spots and take the car to a rarity auction in hopes to get $9K". I said no I would not be entertaining this , refund the deposit and good luck. That never happened and his "friend" repaired the rust spots and areas around the trim and off to auction it went. At the auction the car got a highest bid of $4200 CAD which was done by a friend on my behalf ( ) .

As strange as this sounds , the vehicle was no longer "available" so at this point I pretty much had enough with the ******** and began searching for an S2 / RS2 again.

OCTOBER 2013:
            Seller contacts me AGAIN asking if I am still interested in the S2. He claims he spent an "arm leg" on bodywork and paint and would let it go $7000 CAD. I understood the issues he was having but couldn't find myself to pay for bodywork and paint which would eventually be redone to my caliber so an offer of $6000 CAD was made with a take it or leave it. He agreed and I told him the deposit that was paid could go towards the agreed selling price.

To be fair to the seller, I know what it is like to start a side business and try to focus on your current business. It is hard and mentally straining but business is business. He was not very knowledgeable and his questions showed it.I agreed to help him with his current inventory by supplying him with parts in order to get the cars he had running.

We had developed a relationship which I deemed trust worthy and agreed that the vehicle would be paid for in direct transfers.

JANUARY 2014:
            In a surprise visit , I decided to go down to Toronto and meet up with a few companies we deal with in the industry (Eric@Competition , Marco@SEM , Will@AST , etc) and to go see what I had "bought". At this point , the seller had been paid more than half for the vehicle and it was my first time meeting him and seeing the vehicle up close. I took it for a test drive and noticed right away the odometer was not working and the floor mats were removed. He stated that the odometer was unplugged (4th red flag) and the floor mats were removed because it was winter and he didn't want it driven in the winter. Made absolutely no sense but fine as again....I did not care.

FEBRUARY - MARCH 2014:
            At this point the vehicle is 100% paid for but he was unable to release it due to him countless times being unavailable for Will@AST to meet up to pick up the vehicle under the condition that the 17" BBS CH's that were on the vehicle would be replaced by stock steelies with junk tires (due to me having BBS E50's ready to be mounted)

It was clear I had made some obvious mistakes which I usually would not have due to me having a want desire. Typically (and I say typically because it has applied to each time I have ever purchased a vehicle) . I usually get them inspected first , then negotiate a price , then a bill of sale is drawn up , the title is signed over and way I go. In this case I did not do any of the above which was my own fault and partially due to the fact that the vehicle had CATS removed which would mean in order to get it registered in Ontario , it would need CATS and considering AST is our fabricator , the vehicle will need to go there to have the work done before it made its journey to Ottawa.

I was browsing motorgeek one day and this thread came up:
            http://www2.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55105
            I lost my shirt and contacted him and asked him what it was about. He stated "don't worry I am not going to try and sell the vehicle from under you". Eventually it would be revealed that he did.

The vehicle was being "stored" at his location on Keele St. with all the purchase documents left in a file on the passenger seat the same way they had been left back in January. At the end of March after badgering him/calling him more times than I can count, I had bit the bullet and told him the date we would be by to retrieve the vehicle from his premises . Naturally upon arrival , Anthony was nowhere to be found . After Will waited around for a few hours , his partner Nazim (Autohaus Motors ran out of the same location) stated that none of the vehicles could be removed as he had leans on them. This is the point where the light bulbs went off .
            In Ontario , it is illegal for a used car dealer to accept any form of payment if there are pending leans on the vehicle.
            Anthony's phone at this point went from ringing to being "off". I made a decision to pay off the "lean" that was owed by Anthony to Nazim and Will transported the vehicle to AST in Brampton.

- Odometer still did not work
            - Whine coming from driver side (RHD) wheel area. Initial diagnosis was a wheel bearing.
            - coolant was not flushed and replaced with G12

This is the part where things turn for the worst. Anthony finally calls me on my cell and states he had a prior arrangement to which a quick rebuttle was made along the lines of you always have a god damn prior arrangement. It was agreed on that he would receive his BBS CH wheels back when I received the money I paid for the "lean" on his vehicle.
            Monday April 7th 2014 : I was out of the country and unreachable at this point. Anthony shows up @ AST to retrieve his BBS wheels and brings (2) 215/55/R16 wheels w/ tires and (2)205/55/R16 wheels w/tires (doing the math it was within the required % to drive on) Tells Will that he "settled it up with Issam" (which he did not) and that he is getting the CH's. Upon leaving , he hands Will the correct title for the vehicle. Will snaps and politely asks him to get off the property. (as the title supplied in the folder was bs).

The month of April & May both AST & INA were extremely busy pumping out projects to customers around the globe that it was decided to exhaust work would be done when the projects were done.

Fast forward to JUNE 2014:
            June 23rd 2014 - June 27th 2014:

Will sends over the file to us and we begin the transferring of the title into our name.
            - Problem #1 : vehicle needs an appraisal as the dealership it was purchased from was invalid (no surprise)
            - Problem #2 : Another LEAN on the vehicle. This is then taken care of AGAIN by us
            - Problem #3 : side molding and other pieces that were removed from the vehicle were never returned.

Eurocracy show is June 29th 2014 of which we planned to make a strong presence with the cars we had been working on all year AND the S2 mounted with the BBS E50's. Finally after a grueling 2 days , the title for the vehicle is transferred into our name , insurance is applied , temporary plates are given (until our customized plates are ready) and off we go.

June 28th 2014 :
            I drive down to Brampton from Ottawa (5 hour trip) and meet Will. The plates are installed on the vehicle and away I go. I make it 2 km's down the road before realizing the whining sound is getting worst. I turn around , go back to AST and consult with Will on a course of action. At this point it is late in the afternoon , and it is decided that I would make the trip back to Montreal (passing through Ottawa for a quick wheel change) early in the morning and change the wheel bearing when I do the wheels so I made the drive to a family members house which was 70 km's away.

June 29th 2014:
            Saturday morning I wake up @ 5.20 AM and begin to really look over the car and make a list of what would be needed to be ordered from the UK come Monday. I notice in the handbook there is a code for the Gamma 4 radio (garbage) which I decide to punch in. It sends the vehicle into limp mode and the car would not start. Considering my previous experience with the system , I knew it would be a 1 hour delay (disconnect batteries , jumper the leads and wait an hour). Fired it up and moved it out of a family members garage.
            Laying on the garage floor was a pool of gear oil at which point I knew this was going to be a long day. I took the car out for one final spin and the growling noise got louder. I feared the worst that the transmission may have been on its way out.
            by now it was almost 8 AM and I made a call to a long time friend and Audi guru Eric @ Competition Motors in Bellville. Eric had never seen an authentic S2 and wanted to come down to see it and diagnose it himself. Upon arrival , after jump starting it (after run pump killed the battery) we took it out for a spin and at this point I had lost 5th gear.
            Eurocracy goals were long out the window and the swearing ensued. I did not pick up on it at first but later with council from Eric , the odometer (which was diagnosed several months ago before picking up the vehicle) would have never read due to the 01A ring gear ******** itself and subsequently the rest of the gearbox. I decided to drive the vehicle with Eric infront another 120 km's to his Bellville location eventually arriving @ 9.00 PM last night. The trip was fun as I finally in all my years of owning & working on Audi's could see how much abuse these gearboxes could take.
            Approx 100 km's into the trip , I lost 4th gear and then the final 5 km's I lost 3rd gear so basically going 120km/h @ close to 7000 rpm's inevitably knowing the luck I was having losing 1st about 2km's from his shop. We ended up towing it the rest of the way , put it up on the hoist and laughed....

....and I mean laughed.
            It seems when the clutch was replaced (as the original add stated) that shenanegans ensued and a text book case of shody work.A quick threatening text message to the seller ensued a positive response followed by ******** (as usual).

After yet another brutal day , we went out for drinks and decided there was nothing to be done and that the 6 speed 01E I had at the shop would simply have to find its way into the coupe until the OB4 conversion would happen in the winter.

I woke up this morning (still in Toronto) with a smile as all in all , I am happy I own the only RHD S2 Coupe in North America (or at least Canada) and can finally put this behind me. I obviously wanted things to be different but the outcome was inevitable. Huge thanks and shout out go to Will@AST , Eric@Competition Motors and of course my Wife for allowing me to have yet "another piece of junk" in my stable.

Issam N. Abed
            iABED Industries
            iABED Email | Facebook
            The build thread

Comment

some good reading material:
              http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t=62766&page=5
              http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=22558&page=10
              Last edited by Wizard-of-OD; 30 June 2014, 16:37.
              Issam N. Abed
              iABED Industries
              iABED Email | Facebook
              The build thread

Comment

What a fiasco, surprised that seller is still walking to be honest :rolleye:
                Still at least you now have an S2

So a question for you - how will you fit the 0B4 gearbox?
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

G22 VSS and G21 Speedometer info

I wish you good luck with your project.

On the topic of odometer and speedometer, the ring gear on the flywheel has absolutely nothing to do with those. It is the G22 Vehicle Speed Sensor on the left side transmission output flange that sends the signal that the G21 Speedometer needs.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/168463.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                  94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                    On the topic of odometer and speedometer, the ring gear on the flywheel has absolutely nothing to do with those. It is the G22 Vehicle Speed Sensor on the left side transmission output flange that sends the signal that the G21 Speedometer needs.
                    That was a typo. Should have been speed gear....NOT ring gear. Nothing to do with the flywheel/clutch assembly.The VSS & Clutch slave cylinder as well as the transmission mounts appeared to be recently replaced so only the PO knows what actually happened with the gearbox and why it was removed.Upon removal of the VSS there was metal debris sticking to it at the base.

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                    What a fiasco, surprised that seller is still walking to be honest :rolleye:
                    Still at least you now have an S2
                    In the end dealing with the excuses was not worth my time. At least I have an S2.
                    Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                    So a question for you - how will you fit the 0B4 gearbox?
                    The bolt pattern on the bell housing will fit on the 07K block and the transmission tunnel is wide enough for it so we will see how it goes.

01E for now as a quick fix so I can actually enjoy the car for the summer before the real rebuild begins.
                    Issam N. Abed
                    iABED Industries
                    iABED Email | Facebook
                    The build thread

Comment

Phew what a nightmare happy ending though enjoy the car and good luck with the rebuild

Sent from my iPhone 5
                      using Tapatalk
                      ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                      THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vonbeck View Post
                        Phew what a nightmare happy ending though enjoy the car and good luck with the rebuild

Sent from my iPhone 5
                        using Tapatalk
                        Thanks!
                        btw, Audi tradition has RS2 intake manifolds for approx 830 USD.

http://trshop.audi.de/konakart/Selec...ZEN&model=0001

This is going to be an expensive night ...
                        Issam N. Abed
                        iABED Industries
                        iABED Email | Facebook
                        The build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard-of-OD View Post
                          Thanks!
                          btw, Audi tradition has RS2 intake manifolds for approx 830 USD.

http://trshop.audi.de/konakart/Selec...ZEN&model=0001

This is going to be an expensive night ...

keep your stock manifold and get a inscription from the group buy on here instead. Flows better, looks same and cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by david1980 View Post
                            keep your stock manifold and get a inscription from the group buy on here instead. Flows better, looks same and cheaper.
                            Going with a forward facing manifold anyway. Was just posting it up as I was browsing Audi tradition. Thank you for the tip!
                            Issam N. Abed
                            iABED Industries
                            iABED Email | Facebook
                            The build thread

Comment

What a nightmare! Glad you finally got the car and it's getting some TLC
                              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                              X