Brake Bomb Replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Bomb Replace

I am set to change the brake bomb on my 3b s2. I have a new one just hope it's the correct one as i gather there are two varients. I bought it from Pete at quattro corner he seemed to think there was only one type. Anyway when I change it do I need to bleed the braking system or is it just gravity fed from the reservoir.???
    I am fitting new calipers after so am just planning my course of attack.

There are two different types, only difference is the size of the banjo bolts, M10 vs M12. They used to be easy to distinguish by the shape, one had a square body to the bomb and the other was more rounded. Basically remove the banjo bolt from the pressure line and check it fits your new bomb before you take everything apart. Change over was 91-92ish, generally all CQ, 7A, and 3B had the early M10 bomb.

No need to bleed the brakes, the bomb is plumed into the hydraulic system not the brake system. You will need some of the audi hyd fluid. Used to be G002000, replaced with G004000. You dont have to buy it from Audi, but i always do for peace of mind. Just dont use ATF, make sure you get the correct fluid.

As for fitting, it will be messy so you can use a vice grip to pinch the low pressure line from the reservoir to pump to minimize the amount of fluid lost. Personally i would do the opposite and let it drain, remove and clean out the reservoir and fill it up with fresh fluid. I went as far as disconnecting the PAS pump and blew through everything with an air line to get all the old fluid out of the system. The system will bleed itself, however if starting from empty you will need to bleed the rack by steering left to right with the front wheels off the ground. The manual also says to do so without hitting the end stops on the rack, no idea why. I usually do that without the engine running until the fluid level stays consistent, then start the engine and repeat. Also fill the reservoir to the middle of the min/max marks with the steering straight ahead, and screw the cap back on before starting the engine or it makes a real mess. Have fun..
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

cheers buddy i have two litres of febi fluid and Will do it on ramps so should help. my bomb is more round type and pretty sure one i got is square er. we shall see. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
        cheers buddy i have two litres of febi fluid and Will do it on ramps so should help. my bomb is more round type and pretty sure one i got is square er. we shall see. Thanks again
        Febi fluid is perfect. Square ish one is the later one, and the M10 variety which is strange. I assumed the later ones would be the larger M12.

M10 version

M12 version
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Sure it's not the other way round Mark?
          The square ones I'm sure are M12 but maybe not... I've got one in the garage I'll have a look.
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I see car has gone...any ideas where to buy these nowadays?
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Erm, here maybe?

Comment

I'm also in need of one of these for my B4 2.0 16v. So any idea where to get them from and price would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
                  Erm, here maybe?
                  All sold out. Wont be any in till June / July.

Comment

Originally posted by @ndy View Post
                    All sold out. Wont be any in till June / July.
                    yeah found the site in the end via another route only to be greeted with out of stock

Mine just does the usual beeps on startup and having just serviced the brembo's the pedal feel is good so no real impending issues but would like to get the bomb sorted at some point this summer....is that June/July date firm?
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I'm in the same position you are.

I've just re-read my Email, Paul wrote "Around June-July I will have more information when these will be available again."

Comment

Cheers...will check back
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

David,

Let me know when you find them as I also need one too.
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I am sure these are NLA from Febi. I tried to get one through several Febi dealers and no joy, all came back saying no loner available to order.
                            This was over a year ago now. That's why I will be "upgrading" to vac assist later this year.
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I bought mine from Pete at Quattro corner he "had" both types in stock when i got mine. £200 but well worth it to stop the annoying bllep on start and heavy braking.

Comment

Working...
                              X