unknown part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unknown part?

Just wondering, what is part 7B in the drawing?
    003054000.jpg

Front ARB mounting bracket (or cradle), probably has a technical name...

Comment

Sure? The ARB bracket is part 6.

Comment

Typ89 , you are correct. The subject stand-off "bracket" 7B may be attached only after the ARB bushing 4 is already secured with the bushing retainer 6; and if two of the double-ended studs 7F are used per retainer (vice the normal type bolts 7) which then allow the stand-offs to be attached with nuts 7E.

I believe you could say that the purpose of the 7bs is to provide rearward hard "chassis" vertical bracing points for the big plastic under-tray (even though it is fastened elsewhere and often found entirely missing) which aids engine cooling. IIRC, the forward edge of those downward pointing tabs at the leading edge of each stand-off help locate the tray when it is correctly installed.

Comment

I've never seen one of these fitted to any cars. Must have an early ARB bush holding bracket before they changed to the later 2 bolt version

It's not for the under tray. It's showing on the T81 and T85 cars which never had under trays in that location
          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've never seen them in real life either.
            Could it be that these were fitted to north american cars only? T81 diesels did have some sort of undertray according to etka..

Comment

Each of my 4 cars has had these. They only fit after; and over-top of the C-shaped part 6 bushing retainer brackets are installed. They in no way could fasten the A/R bar's bushings adequately even if used alone without part 6, as they are sized to remain clear of and arch over them, only contacting part 6 at the 2 stud locations. They do not and cannot be made to have any A/R bar function.

It may well be that it is a N/A only thing. It wouldn't surprise me to learn Audi used these here as an after-thought to prevent we hasty colonials from totally destroying the under-tray as many here are not used to under-trays but more usually just toss a floor jack anywhere under the car and hoist away indiscriminately. Flattened sub-frames and crushed rocker-panels are the too common used Audi norm here.

These 7Bs are a weld-up of heavy gauge construction, much more robust than the part 6 brackets themselves. Although they resemble jack points, I've personally not used them as such. There may be a clue to the original design intent in the official name for them?

Comment

Interesting part under the engine mount. Have not seen one before.

1989 Audi 80 Quattro
                1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Working...
                X