Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modifying Motronic 2.3.2 ECU hardware and software.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying Motronic 2.3.2 ECU hardware and software.

These ECU's are very hard to find any straight forward information on and what little info is out there is scattered about the internet and buried in archives that would take a lifetime to find let alone figure out how the ECU functions. The M2.3.2 community unfortunately doesnt have the luxury and ease of documentation like the ME7 community.

First modification i feel one should do is unsolder the factory EPROM's and install 28 pin DIP sockets. if you cannot accomplish the installation of the DIP sockets than the rest of the hardware modifcations below aren't for you. Please find someone who is capable of installing the sockets for your sake because these ECU's are getting to be far and few between not to mention rather expensive atleast in the USA anyhow.

Here is my ECU with a DIP socket installed on the on the timing/fuel board.

i'll start with info i found on how to convert the hardware in my AAN ECU to an RS2 spec ECU which i have done to mine. The modification of an AAN ECU to make it an RS2 spec ECU is rather simple if you have some basic soldering skills and a few hours on on hand. All you have to do is replace the MAP sensor which the AAN is stock with a 250KPA sensor and install a 300KPA sensor. the OEM bosch sensor is no longer made but i have seen modified ECU's by MTM that that looked like they had recalibrated the 250KPA sensor and made it into a 300KPA sensor. what leads me to believe this is the some of the the original part numbers and pressure rating had been sanded away and they where stamped with new numbers that indicated they where OEM bosch 300KPA sensor. another option is to install a VMAP-D adjustable map sensor which is now sold by 034motorsport.com. lastly i've heard of some guys using a GM 3BAR map sensor mounted outside of the ECU's casing. I'm running a VMAP at the moment but im going to investigate into the GM sensor and try it out, i will post pictures and my results when i get a chance. i think if the GM sensor works out it will be the most cost effective solution to a MAP sensor upgrade. to complete the RS2 conversion you you have to locate component R201 which is a 6.15K ohm resistor in the AAN ECU and it needs to be replaced with a 6.5K ohm resistor. you can use a surface mount or a standard resistor, the standard resistor is a bit harder to solder than the surface mount. once you do them 2 modifications you must run RS2 software in your ECU this includes the boost chip as well. for my ECU i chose the 8A0 907 551 B file and detuned it as best i could to run on my moderately stock AAN engine.

another hardware modification i added was a latch adapter board from www.boostbutton.com. this board allows you to run a more common 27C256 chip instead of the obselete 87C257. i run 2 SST27SF512 chip in my ECU and on the boost chip you need to offset the 32K file to 0X8000 with the device offset on your chip burner. the reason for doing this is that the 512 chip is double the size of the 256, the ECU reads the chip backwards in a sense so the file needs to start at the middle of the chip and fill to the end of the chip. also it is best to solder the latch adapter board straight to the boost board as having a DIP socket with the latch adapter and the chip on top causes the fuel/timing board to flex because that combination is too tall.

Here's some pictures of the latch adapter board installed in my ECU.

i have been working on trying to compile Tunerpro XDF files so everyone can tune their M2.3.2 car's freely i am posting them for everyone to explore and share. I hold no responsibility if you bomb your engine using these so use them at your own risk. these XDF's where compiled originally using PRJ's Motronic map finder program. i will post his program in hopes he doesnt get mad at me for sharing it because it is a very useful piece of software. These definition files are far from perfect so please dont criticize me or them, im just trying to help out the community in any way i can. Also i have been working on defintions for the S4/S6 crowd too which i will post, the ECU most commonly found in the S4/S6 cars in the USA atleast are 4A0 907 551 A and 4A0 907 551AA. my definitions are based around the 551AA ECU as its the most common one here. the RS2 defintion is for the 8A0 907 551B, i started a defintion for the 551C file only to realize it is an immobilizer equipped file and it will not work in my AAN powered 84 4000 quattro. If you feel you can add anymore information to these definitions please do and share. i almost forgot about the checksum, if you modify either the timing/fuel chip you have to correct the checksum. i use winOLS to correct the checksum for the timing/fuel chip. for the boost chip i dont know how to correct the checksum on the boost chip but my car seems to run fine even though i have a CEL and a fault for the checksum being incorrect. maybe someone can add the abililty to correct the checksum's to the definition files.

Finally i just want to bring up decompiling the M2.3.2 ECU using ida pro. I know that the M2.3.2 Processor is a basically an INTEL 8051 processor, when using ida pro im not sure which form of the 8051 processor to use but i have been using the C515 style to attempt to learn the ECU and use ida pro. im not sure if im using the right style of processor though. i have been trying to figure out how to do this for some time now. i know there are users on this forum and out there in general who have a full understanding of the ECU but will not elaborate on how to go about decompiling the software and already have a full understanding of the ECU. i have attempted to talk to some of these people but when it came down to it i felt these people where just degrading me and seemed to protect it like its bosch's best kept secret. i personally feel people have a right to know if they want to learn about how their car works so im going to post whatever i learn about M2.3.2.

Have fun with this info and i hope it helps out everyone that is seeking knowledge about this ECU and i hope the people out there that have more knowledge than me will contribute to this thread and not beat around the bush with information. Im not fishing for negativity by posting this, im trying to share my knowledge and hopefully learn more about this ECU in the process.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vwnut8392; 19 February 2013, 23:20.
    "The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

Thanks for sharing although I think I will never use this info...

It is interesting that people still care to share....of course this info will never replace an experienced tuner but may give some other route than standalone to the DIYer.
    Last edited by Billman; 19 February 2013, 23:41.
    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

The defintion's are for the 551B RS2 files only. other versions of the M2.3.2 ECU have the maps offset at different addresses so they will look like a garbled mess when this definition is loaded. which version ECU software are you trying to load?

Comment

Interesting.

Have you got the Camo AAN'd 4k on motorgeek?
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

it would be very nice if others who knows the 2.3.2 could write more about those things
          RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
          BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
          LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
            Interesting.

Have you got the Camo AAN'd 4k on motorgeek?
            Yes thats my car lol.

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
            it would be very nice if others who knows the 2.3.2 could write more about those things
            I agree with you, this is why i started this thread in hopes that the knowledgeable will contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by vwnut8392 View Post
              Yes thats my car lol.
              Cool, I have been reading your thread for a while, you have some interesting projects

You back on the bike yet?
              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

The defintion's are for the 551B RS2 files only. other versions of the M2.3.2 ECU have the maps offset at different addresses so they will look like a garbled mess when this definition is loaded. which version ECU software are you trying to load?
                Sorry deleted that post. They where 551B files found on the web....maybe they are corrupt.
                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                  Cool, I have been reading your thread for a while, you have some interesting projects

You back on the bike yet?
                  im glad you like my projects!!! yeah im back on my bike. we built a 5ft mini ramp in my shop with a 4ft spine in the middle for the winter. im starting to ride flatland again too.

Originally posted by Billman View Post
                  Sorry deleted that post. They where 551B files found on the web....maybe they are corrupt.
                  ohhh, i put original 551B files in the ZIP file. the BIN's i put with the XDF's are the ones i used to create the XDF's.

Comment

I see, nice! What eeprom programmer do you use?
                    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

...i have been working on trying to compile Tunerpro XDF files so everyone can tune their M2.3.2 car's freely i am posting them for everyone to explore and share. I hold no responsibility if you bomb your engine using these so use them at your own risk. these XDF's where compiled originally using PRJ's Motronic map finder program. i will post his program in hopes he doesnt get mad at me for sharing it because it is a very useful piece of software.
                      I can see this ending in tears and prj laughing at you.

But hey, go for it.
                      RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by Billman View Post
                        I see, nice! What eeprom programmer do you use?
                        im using a willem GQ-4X programmer and a moates ostrich 2 rom emulator.

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                        I can see this ending in tears and prj laughing at you.

But hey, go for it.
                        i gave him the credit he deserves for his program. he distributes it freely among the forums. he posted it in a thread on the nefmoto.com forum.

Comment

Corrections:
                          1. The resistor is 5.6k 1%, 1206
                          2. MAP sensor upgrade is done like this: http://gm.mainframe.no/pics/mapsensor.jpg
                          3. Program can be posted freely, I've posted it in this forum before.
                          4. No point to offset the file, easier to just stack it 2x.
                          5. Disassembling the software - It says on the processors exactly what they are...
                          6. I don't mind people looking into this (hence me posting the map finder) I take offense in people like you demanding I hand over all my information for free without putting in any effort. That's exactly what you did.

Quote from nefmoto:
                          Originally posted by vwnut8392
                          hey PRJ, just out of curiousity why do you tell everyone to disassemble everything? cant you just help us out like im trying to do with the boost chip? i think its sort of selfish how you tell everyone to disassemble code on their own because maybe they dont understand how to do it, want to take the time to learn how to do it etc. maybe a guy just wants to experiment with his car. obviously you know far more about this form of motronic than anyone so why do you help us out and post up some actual XDF files for the chips. you jump on allmy threads about this motronic and act like a god but wont really give anything out about it. yeah the map finder works but you have to know a bit more than the common man to use it. really give us something to work with here or please stop posting in my thread's because its really annoying how you treat people. id prefer some real help from knowledgeable people than someone who repeatedly tells everone to pretty much go figure it out for yourself. if i wanted to do that i wouldnt be posting here trying to find answers and get help now would i or any of the other guys here.
                          And a fitting reply from another member on there

Originally posted by phila_dot
                          I usually won't get involved with posts like this, but this got under my skin.

What makes you feel so entitled?

Why should anyone be obligated to volunteer hours of their time just because someone doesn't want to spend time of their own?

Do you think anyone here was born with this knowledge?

No, it takes alot of time and energy to learn.

Ask a specific question and I guarantee that if someone has the answer, then you will get it.

This do it for me because I don't want to bother to try myself is ********.
                          http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

once again PRJ ive asked for no criticisim and you've successfully done just that bringing up post's from other threads. i also asked kindly if you wouldnt participate in my threads. i understand i posted your program and i gave you the reference for it that you deserve. im willing to give up all the information i know and answer anyones questions regardless of what they want to know even if it seems im giving handouts. if people are willing to learn than i'll give them all the info i can, the more minds tackling a topic the better in my opinion. anyhow lets not stray off topic.

Comment

Thank you for your post and for joining the forum - i think it's great that people are still interested in understanding these cars and the electronics that run them, and people like yourself that take the time to document and add their experience to the mix make this forum what it is.

You did however point the fingger at prj in your OP, and in my opinion made it clear who you were referring to when you said:

Originally posted by vwnut8392
                              i know there are users on this forum and out there in general who have a full understanding of the ECU but will not elaborate on how to go about decompiling the software and already have a full understanding of the ECU. i have attempted to talk to some of these people but when it came down to it i felt these people where just degrading me and seemed to protect it like its bosch's best kept secret. i personally feel people have a right to know if they want to learn about how their car works so im going to post whatever i learn about M2.3.2.
                              So, i feel it perfectly reasonable that prj make a response in here. As you say, he is regarded and has achieved "god" status in ECU related matters, so i would value everything he says and be thankful for what tools and information you have already gained from him. We wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds
                              S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X