UrS4 2.2T Avant project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UrS4 2.2T Avant project

I decide to do a project thread of my UrS4 now when I have been familiar with this forum.

I bought the car last summer and it was one of the cheapest ones that was on the market at the moment. It is a 6-speed and hade done 275k km. It had a "bigger" hybrit turbo, stainless china tubular exhaust manifold and MTM-chip. The owner told it should have ~300hp. I think maybe 270-280hp was closer to the truth. Commonly the car was in quite sad shape. Scratches and rust here and there, bumbers was hanging, boost was acting strange, turbo oil-lines was leaking oil(almost catch fire ones ) and there was some electrical problems also. The central locking didn't work and the insrument cluster had several issues, light check control and brake pad check was alerting... etc. etc...

This was the look when I first got it home:

After some close investigating I finnally found someting positive. Did know there was Weitecs lowering springs, but there was also Koni yellow shocks all around, and they was in good working shape.

Well, few hours with the soldering iron resolve all the electric problems...

Central lockin pump looked like this:

...and after maintenance:

Have workt fine since.

The insrumen cluster did also get full overhaul:

Also the light check modul did get a small mod...

Soon it was time to get some more power, I had the feeling the engine run lean on upper rpm's and I did not want to destroy it, so bigger injectors, a 3bar map and Walbro 255LPH fuel pump was first on the list.

Before remapping I also bought a 76x300x400 IC which I put in serial with the stock IC. Not easy thing to do. There was almost no space at all behind the bumper. Had to move the radiator 20mm backwards and give the bumper a lightening cure.

It's also good to approve the air flow for the stock IC with a B5 S4 inner-fender grill:

Last edited by Thuppu; 1 July 2013, 08:24.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Now it was time to remap the stock motronic. The job was done by porkkis and he did a nice job.

Now we had 100hp more than before. 381hp/488Nm measured on a calibrated dyno.

Soon after the remap the china exhaust manifold cracked and had to get a better one. But as always my budget is tight, so there was no other choice than do it your self. Budget about 50e.

When I changed the manifold I take out the turbo for a check and guess what...

The turbine have been like this whole the time when we remap the engine and I think it has happend with the owner before me. I was wondering about the strange sound when going on full boost. At this point I only grind the blades a bit and put the turbo back on.

Now I have only drive it for several months and it have worked fine. I also installed a VEMS mix/egt gauge.

But of course I had to change the turbo and always you want some more power... Have been collecting parts for a while now and soon I think we have to lift out the engine. Not now in the winter, have to try ice-track driving first, but later in the spring have to take the engine apart.

New turbo is a CT5658 with a Garrett AR.84 hot side.

Some other parts that waiting for installation:

This is the look under the hood for now:

Last edited by Thuppu; 13 January 2011, 13:30.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

keep it coming mate - your car looks better than when you got it than mine does now!!!! Great thread!

Comment

Good results on the remap. What turbo is it running?
        91 S2 coupé - RIP
        98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

The old turbo is a Garrett/Turbonetics T03/04 hybrid, A/R.50 comp wheel 58mm, ex. A/R.63 55mm.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Great thread.

You make it all sound so easy.

Please continue to keep the thread updated.

Stupid question, but I presume the extra 100 bhp was very noticeable when driving it afterwards, and well worth the trouble?

Kind regards.
            Last edited by macspring; 16 October 2011, 23:54.

Comment

Thanks, maybe it sound easy because my english is so bad? But, trust me, it hasn't been so easy at all. Ou yes, the car was totally different afterwards. You should have seen my working mates face when he taked a ride along with me the day after the remap. We did also take a drive the day before so he had something to compare.

Like I said in the first post, there was strange boost bahavior. Max. boost was 1.2-1.5bar, but it was to much, and the reason was a faulty N75 someone had tried to fix:

Normal boost for the MTM-chip was 1.2bar. After the remap max boost was 1.7bar and now it really starts to happen something.
              Last edited by Thuppu; 13 January 2011, 02:44.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

What ECU are you planning to use with the new turbo?
                Motronic won't be enough I think.

Not without changing MAF.
                http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Porkkis has done some bigbore(90mm) maf experiments with the stock maf, and it should reach up to 580hp with motronic. You only need to fit a bigger intake pipe and a part like this for the maf:

My aim is 500-550hp.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Thuppu,

Thanks for reply in post # 7, not relevant for me, but still keen to know about the bigger MAF shown in post # 9 as the thread progresses.

Kind regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
                      Porkkis has done some bigbore(90mm) maf experiments with the stock maf, and it should reach up to 580hp with motronic. You only need to fit a bigger intake pipe and a part like this for the maf:

My aim is 500-550hp.
                      Yeah, I know he has done, but it's very hard to get it working correctly. There are very many things to change and it's less than stellar even then.
                      I have looked at some Sport Quattro MAF software and it's basically a huge hack with the car not running right at idle etc.

I went a slightly different route - using a RS4 hot-film MAF and rewriting the logic inside the ECU that handles the MAF.
                      But last version had some issues at high RPM's, I hope it's fixed now, but the guy who is testing it for me has some issues, so I'm stuck.

I am very interested to see how this works out though.
                      Last edited by prj; 13 January 2011, 11:08.

Comment

I don't know for sure, haven't asked him lately, but few months ago he had his test car in quite good working order. He hint me that soon, next spring/summer, he would be ready to remap other big-maf solutions. Don't ask me how he does it.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Well, I know how, but I am just not sure it is the right way, because I have not seen a single such solution work properly.

Comment

Always someone must be the first. I hope it carry out in this case.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

I guess the proof will be, as they say, in the pudding. Let us know how his goes when it's done.
                              1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
                              A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

Working...
                              X