VEMS tips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VEMS tips!

I thought this would interest the very few needing advice on this aftermarket ECU.

People that dont use it, probably all this is not important.

If moderators think its usefull, might as well do it a sticky.

Various things off the top of my head, and i hope others will also chip in.

The following tips are for firmware 1.1.95 and i would advise every1 to get into that.

1) Cranking: given that the VE table and idle area is correct, if the car takes long to crank, then increase the cranking fuel. Always make it gradual and make one change at a time.

2) Warm up enrich: make sure you adjust it without lamda control first until the point where you can see the car is driven happily and once the coolant temp is around 45C and above, then the lamda can kick in. Aim for close to 0.85-87 on initial startup on cold weathers (10C or less) and get it to 0.95 gradually. I know my car likes it that way, if leaner it stumbles. Variations will be there, so use it as a guide and please indicate if there is something different your engine likes!

3)Accel. enrichments: Be generous with the low rev enrichment, as it tends to become lean very easily if the pedal is depressed fast. You will see on the logs the lean spots and even if not felt, its robbing you of perfomance. Again increase in small steps until there is no significant change. There are 2 tables and try to modify one at a time.

trigger settings could be very helpful. I ise divbyN 3 but i see some people use divbyN 9 or 27.

when to use 9 or 27?
    Cheers

Murat

Comment

Divide by 3 had been dropped I used divide by n with a 9 setting on 1.2.2
      Last edited by Jamo; 22 September 2012, 22:06.

Comment

perhaps didv3 has been dropped from the 1.2.x versions.

i am still on 1.1.95 and using divd3 and works fine.

i suspect the 1.2.2 version was only for TESTING and those who use it should know what they are doing. As far as i can advise, i would stay with what VEMS developers put out as official firmware and Marcel (Vems owner and lead developer) has always suggested, which was that anyone using a 'testing' firmware should do it at their own risk.

So if you have the 1.1.95 or below firmware running, divd3 is fine.

Comment

It has been dropped there is no such thing as an official firmware hasn't been for some time no matter what the version number. But hey this is no longer my concern

Comment

That is good to know.
            So for that reason please do not contribute ideas that are not cross referenced unless you have a specific information from Marcel of what people should or should not use.

Besides, what is the difficulty of understanding the word TESTING ONLY on vems firmwares updates? When a firmware is stable and supported they write: RELEASED

simples!

Now please either contribute with a tip, if you have any, or open a other thread about the trigger ideas you have. Makes it easier for this thread and for those who still use vems

sent with WSGS3

Comment

Cranking-Afterstart:

If you are having trouble starting the car on cold/warm weather, make sure that after the VE section for idle is settled, you configure the Cranking table for a fair amount of fuel in order to start!

I have about 16deg of timing for cranking
              cranking VE higher than my idle VE, or the same
              Afterstart cycles cold> warm. Usually more than double depending on engine. Otherwise the engine may fire then stall.

ON the cranking enrichment curve on the EV14 i have about 400% for -40C then about 300% for 10C. For warm engine, ie above 70C i still use more than 100% as it seems to fire more readily than before.

So dont be afraid to push some fuel in there. Its much better!

Comment

Update:

Acceleration enrichments:

According to various tuning books, it is said that having a lamda of 0.96 as a transient effect is the best torque on most engines so that you dont have lean spots. However, even on quite a bit of lean areas when the accel. pedal is depressed, you can get away with no back holding feel, + have some decent economy as well.

After some recent checks on mine, i realised that the areas of low rev/in city driving where far less than even my requested lamda (from 1.09 to 1.03 is the requested) and i was actually getting close to 1.10-1.12. Since is low rev driving, you barely detect a problem, however the car would be very dull. I realised that once i played around with the accel. enrichments and the VE table once again.

Final choise was to leave the enrichments as they were, and update the VE table to match my requested lamda, and therefore the feel of the car now is much improved.

In accel. enrichments, the aim is to have more added fuel on low revs and fast pedal presses, AND less added fuel on higher revs and subtle presses. The 2 given tables are easy to tune once you do your logs. Watch how lean/rich the mixture is going depending on the extra fuel you are dumping, and always remember to disregard the rich mixture you see once the accel. pedal is lifted off,as this is not a true rich mixture of the map, its just the extra fuel dumped just ms. after you lifted off.

Comment

Can you follow with more tips Vasilis?

Launch control,anti lagg...

Or most important,the way you tune from scratch,steps to follow I mean,

Noobs will appreciate it
                  RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                  BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                  LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Sure if I get a bit more time.

I have not dealt with anti lag though. Hopefully someone else can add to this

Comment

what happened with this Vas?

Comment

Sorry. No more time left with work and family commitments

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                          Sorry. No more time left with work and family commitments
                          I understand you, I'm like you

Comment

Hello!

Will vems with 6+2 injector channels work on Audi 5 cyl engine, or do I defenetly need 8 channel version, like recomended on vems webpage?
                            One guy in my country is offering 6+2 version with primary trigger VR and seconary trigger HALL, but I think it will not work for me.

I have a setup on 3B engine fitted with coils, hall and cam sensors are also fitted to head allready.

We are gonna do whole new wiring anyways, because engine is qoing on b2 CQ.

Comment

nice project bob
                              i'm also have a b2 coupe quattro with AAN engine and vems( plug&play version for AAN)
                              but i cant answer your question,sorry
                              audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
                              TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
                              AEM W/M injection

Comment

Working...
                              X