Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWB Sport Trubute project

Hi Guys

For a few years I have been looking to buy a SWB Sport but they have now gone to mega prices so I have decided to make a Tribute car.

I need to say I dont want a real "Cant see the difference" replica but rather my own version which i can have some fun at trackdays and on the road.

First thing was to find a donor car which came along a few weeks ago. Its a 1986 B2 Coupe Quattro in good condition so I dont have loads of rust to fix.

I will not be changing the screen A pillars as i like the quattro standard shape and due to noise restrictions at most trackdays a turbo with ALS is out.

I have located front and rear wide arch wings, front panel and grill, Bonnet, Boot with big spoiler and a rear bumper and these will arrive in mid to late January.

I have located a roll cage. I have done all the measurements and will be ready to start cutting in April when other projects will be finished.

I will put up pictures as i go along but have none at the moment but this will not be a multi-year long project and certainly as involved as many on here.

The purists may find some of my ideas a bit strange and not like what i want to do.

I would like to fit an Audi V8 4.2, and "Wait for it" I even fancy it as an auto.

My idea is to buy a S6/S8 V8 pre 2000 so not "can bus" and to use it as a donor for the engine and transmission and rear diff.

Wiring is my worry, fabrication is not.

So my questions are, can any one see any problems with the idea and does anyone have an S6/S8 wiring diagram and can they point me in the right direction.

Oh and does anyone have a S6/S8 donor they want to sell.

Thanks

Colin

Nice project. I am with you on the "LWB Sport". I prefer the look of them too.
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

I love the look of the LWB. Should be a fun project!

Comment

If you're not going to do the windscreen, then I'd leave it as a LWB and build something like this

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66048
        sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
          If you're not going to do the windscreen, then I'd leave it as a LWB and build something like this

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66048
          Hi AndyP

I already have a LWB UR but if i didn't have one that may have been the route i would have taken but saying that I simply have always wanted a swb one. Anyway its too late as the panels for SWB are all on their way.

Comment

The donor arrived

Comment

If you don't mind saying, just ballpark, what did the donor cost?
              1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
              2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
              2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

it was under £4k

Comment

Thanks, just wanted a ballpark
                  1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                  2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                  2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

This is exactly what I set out to do. I actually bought my car as an unfinished project and it has been a very long and hard slog, but as you can see below, I am almost there now.

PS Can I interest you in a very cheap Sport Grill and Sills, both of which are made from Kevlar and bought from Ker for a lot of money? Original cost was £1200 GBP and you can have them for £250.

Steve

1990 RR 20V
                    1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Sorry but I already bought the grill and sills.

Thats going to be a nice car when its finished

Comment

This week I found a 1998 A8 4.2 Quattro with just 67k on the clock which goes well and this will be the donor for the mechanical,s

I will have a number of questions to ask the forum members but currently my big question is the wiring.

We cant see any problem with taking the engine and box out and fabricating it into fitting it in the Coupe Quattro but before we do so I need to get some information on the A8 and would ask the question who is the go to guy to help with the engine and gearbox wiring?

I hope to leave most of the wiring in the car and only move whats needed across so we need to sort out having the A8 running with just the engine and gearbox loom if that's possible.
                        So any contact name or web pages that may help would be appreciated.
                        Attached Files

Comment

My cq was that colour when I first bought it, I've not seen many that colour.
                          Le cric on here has a b3 cq with a v8(manual) find him to ask about the wiring

Comment

Is it really necessary to break that fine A8 with low mileage?

Comment

Originally posted by bluequattro View Post
                              My cq was that colour when I first bought it, I've not seen many that colour.
                              Le cric on here has a b3 cq with a v8(manual) find him to ask about the wiring
                              Thanks, I have sent him a PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X