Need Speed - What car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Speed - What car?

So, only a comparatively short period of time has passed since I sold the S2 and as expected, there is now a huge BHP deficit in my life.

The reasons for selling are now well on the way to being resolved, so I need to start thinking about addressing this current power shortage. With any luck, before the end of this year I will have a garage again and it will need filling with something fast for sunny weekends.

I have narrowed it down to one of the following

Porsche 944 Turbo S
    B5 RS4
    Noble M12 GTO 3
    RS2

They are all great cars but I keep coming back to the Noble. Someone put me right and tell me I am insane for considering this. For out and out speed and handling, it really appeals and initial research suggests it would not be as problematic as it might first appear. Wouldn't mind sticking with 5cyl Audi but parts are becoming a real PITA which does come in to the reckoning.

Anyone have experience of the Noble or 944 turbo? I know a fair bit about both RS2 and RS4 and what to expect but have no experience of the other 2.

Well I think for the fact that the others aren't really becoming classics and don't have the same oooo factor, yes all do but not the same type, it has to be the rs2 buddy. I wouldn't mind an rs4 these days though so that could be a good move. Close relation to the 2 but with parts easily available

Comment

What about a very nice 2004 RS6 Avant, fully maintained with lots of money being thrown at it. Viper Stage 1 map ECU/TCU, recon gearbox, new konis suspension, new brakes, tyres, wheel refurb, full timing belt kit etc etc theres much more too you get the idea. It's a bit of a brute this thing, good fun. Cheers Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by gmac78 View Post
        What about a very nice 2004 RS6 Avant, fully maintained with lots of money being thrown at it. Viper Stage 1 map ECU/TCU, recon gearbox, new konis suspension, new brakes, tyres, wheel refurb, full timing belt kit etc etc theres much more too you get the idea. It's a bit of a brute this thing, good fun. Cheers Gordon
        Pics?? lol

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Offshore at the moment so not many pics on my laptop. Just a min and i'll see if i can find them….

Comment

That was the thinking Chris with the RS4 suggestion. Much easier to deal with parts but not sure I am ready for a coffin carrier just yet. If it was a daily, it would be perfect but I am with you on the 2 being better if it is an Audi. The 944 turbo is going to appreciate for sure and is deffo a classic. I might just opt for out and out power to weight ratio of the M12. They look a lot of fun.

Thanks for the offer of the RS6 but not my cup of tea although sounds like John could see himself in one ha ha.

Comment

Rs6

Sorry guys not many pics, cracking car with a lot of money thrown at it. Had it for a couple of years now, time to move on or possibly swap.

I have addressed at a considerable expense the common problems that these cars suffer from, ie gearbox, DRC, full timing belt kit, waterpump, rollers, idlers etc, leaking intercoolers sorted, oil cooler pipework, top mounts, suspension arms, spark plugs, windscreen, rear windscreen washer pipework etc etc All genuine Audi parts used, nothing done on the cheap.

It's in really good condition, i would say certainly above average compared to others i have driven.

The stage 1 plus map, ECU/TCU was done by Viper who is up there with MRC when it comes to RS6's remaps, it's totally transformed the car. The C5 varients are not to bad on the fuel either compared to the next model up C6. Since getting the map done, roughly 500bhp/ 500lb/ft i drove from Glasgow up to Inverness, Inverness across to Ullapool on the west coast then across the country to Aberdeen on one tank, the journey was 407 miles and it was showing around 20 miles left when i filled the tank. That was mostly crusing at 70 apart from Ullapool back to Inverness which is a nice road for some full boost fun
              Attached Files
              Last edited by gmac78; 9 May 2015, 22:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Cottis View Post
                I might just opt for out and out power to weight ratio of the M12. They look a lot of fun.
                If you are serious about buying a Noble, you could do much worse than speak to Matt or Dave at Jetstream Motorsport in Bruntingthorpe. They're looking after almost all M12's these days. They're good guys and could possibly help you get the right car.

Comment

imho, B5 RS4.

Comment

Originally posted by LGK6D View Post
                    If you are serious about buying a Noble, you could do much worse than speak to Matt or Dave at Jetstream Motorsport in Bruntingthorpe. They're looking after almost all M12's these days. They're good guys and could possibly help you get the right car.
                    Fantastic advice. Thank you very much

Comment

Yeh i must admit a Noble would be a fine choice, good fun looking for a new toy eh.

Comment

An RS2, if you can find a good one, has a lot in it's favour. Zero depreciation, compared to a B5 S/RS their super simple to work on, plus your already more than familiar with all the basics having owned an S2. Then there's the superb B4 build quality and great all round practicality, hell I'm going to use mine a camper at the end of the month for a tour around the far north of Scotland. That would be tricky in a Noble.

The stock 315BHP is adequate but with a generic chip set they really shift.
                        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                          An RS2, if you can find a good one, has a lot in it's favour. Zero depreciation, compared to a B5 S/RS their super simple to work on, plus your already more than familiar with all the basics having owned an S2. Then there's the superb B4 build quality and great all round practicality, hell I'm going to use mine a camper at the end of the month for a tour around the far north of Scotland. That would be tricky in a Noble.

The stock 315BHP is adequate but with a generic chip set they really shift.
                          I'm not sure 315bhp is adequate for me anymore and I don't want/need to use it for camping. I have a diesel for easy distance driving. The RS2 is still very tempting though but we are all biased and I am trying not to be seduced by 20VT still ha ha. That in itelf is difficult. They really are such a great engine.

Comment

I have a 944 turbo and it just flies. It's 250hp seem so much more exciting than 270hp in the S2.

It's an easy move to take it from 250 to 350hp but the sills and wings do rust and the prices are starting to move so what you got for £5k a year ago will cost you £10k now and there aren't many of the late ones left on the road.

John

Comment

Noble every day of the week
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X