Raspberry Pi Datalogger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Datalogger

I've decided to start on a little project to ultimately provide an onboard computer in the S2, with the key requirement being real-time data logging for later diagnosis or overlaying with video.

The basis for the project is a Raspberry Pi (RPi) computer, which is a fantastic little computer designed to be very capable and very cheap - they cost only £25. More info here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

The aim is to get the RPi running in the car and logging data from the ECU (thanks to some work by Dmitri (prj)). I also plan to log data from Zeitronix if possible and use GPS to get time/date and position. This will allow me to log exactly what the car is doing, what the ECU is doing, when it is doing it and where.

The fact the RPi runs linux means it's extremely flexible.

I shall be using very familiar technologies (PHP and MySQL to get started, exactly what this forum is written in and using) and the possibilities are endless.

I also have a usb wifi adapter for the RPi which will allow me to either connect to an existing wireless network or, more likely in this case, broadcast a wireless network so that you can connect to the RPi using your phone, for example.

From where you could do things like have a HUD or view real-time data on your phone or laptop whilst in the car, either through an app or even a browser if you configure a http web server on the RPi. You could also mount an external screen to have a direct interface to the RPi.

Lots of options anyway, and i'm interested to see where this ends up and what obstacles i run into!

S2Forum.com Administrator

Subscribed. I'm very interested in seeing how you develop this project.

Comment

I've got the RPi, just setting up Raspian (basically debian) on the SD card to start.

I have the GPS device plugged into my desktop and logging data from it, so next port of call is to get it running on the RPi and configure NTP and serial access for logging.

Comment

Very nice project. Just FYI , you probably know this already, but the serial port on these is 3.3v , so you will need a level converter (max3232 etc) to talk to other devices via serial. (if you are using usb serial ports ignore what I just said )

Subscribed.
        Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Excited to see how this develops, good job guys
          1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

The GPIO interface? Yeah i'll be using USB.

Likely a powered USB hub given that i'll end up using OBD->USB, Zeitronix, wifi and GPS. Importantly none draw much current however.

In terms of power from the car, i was thinking a DC-DC converter (5v/25w) such as this, but as the RPi boots up whenever power is available i'll want a line from the ignition, so could just relay it with the power already heading to the cd player.

Comment

Subscribed with interest, ive been playing with one of these and looking for an open source equivalent of vagcom to pull data from the ecu, if you find anything please let us know
              91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
              93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
              94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Really impressed with this so far.. setup was easy and quick, mouse/keyboard plug-and-play with wireless usb, wifi very quick to set-up and the GPS receiver took about 10 minutes to configure along with NTP.

Which leads me straight into the fun part, communicating and using data from zeitronix and the ecu which i hope to get to next week!

Comment

What OS are you going to be using and what screen? Apparently it doesn't support windows or android

Comment

It's using Raspian (aka Debian), and i dont intend to use a directly attached screen (although its easy as it has a hdmi out).

I'll be logged data in the background and possibly providing an interface through a wireless network. This could either be a native app or through a browser.

Comment

Interesting project, I just ordered a Pi myself to experiment as a media server.

Comment

Andy, Been thinking about this for a while too. But lack of time has stopped me making any progress with mine lately. Initially just using it for XMBC on TV and getting Skype working. Also what to use if for monitoring house systems.

If you start putting some of this together happy to collaborate on github. Must admit i'm more of a Python man than PHP but be good to contribute. Might be better to use SQLite for the DB instead as its single file and will run better on the lower performance devices.
                        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Hi Greg,

I have GPS data in my script now, it's a dead simple tcp socket client with the gpsd package i'm using which is fantastic.

I've opted for familiar languages for now purely out of convenience, but it would be great to port/optimise at some point for sure! I don't think the coding side of this is going to be very complicated at all, and i could do with picking up some more py.

I was also thinking of ultimately having apache, php, mysql running to provide a web front-end, so its easy to access from any laptop or phone in the vicinity. That way its piss easy to make a GUI/HUD with html/css/js if its not an option to have an external screen directly attached.

I still need to get data from the ECU and Zeitronix, but it's looking good

Comment

Defintely have a look at the twitterbootstrap as this could be an elegant way of serving up alot of the more static content without needing a full LAMP stack behind it. Certainly be worth looking at getting it ported. I came across pyOBD library a while back but havent had the opportunity to do anymore with it
                            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

This computer can work with Windows creating an image of windows example Windows 7.

To VEMS user member is a nice choice. Using a 5" TFT touch screen 4 wire resistive, Raspberry Pi and USB/RS232 converter is possible you see in real time this aplication in cars (VEMS standalone or others ).

I will do it to test in my Quattro not difficult.
                              .: MINI Cooper D 08' :.
                              .: Audi Coupe Quattro 20V 91' :.
                              .: Audi Porsche RS2 95' :.

Comment

Working...
                              X