Rear end clunking on rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end clunking on rotation

This problem has been coming and going for a while now.Every couple of weeks the car would suddenly start making a loud clunking on every rotation of the wheels.It is very audible and can be felt through the car.
    It will go away when the car gets up to speed and then return when the car slows.
    I have spoken to a few people who have said that the prop is out of alignment and causing the clunking.
    I have been told it could be the front diff mount or maybe the prop center bearing.
    How much play should there be on the front diff mount or is it more likely to be the center bearing?
    Rob

Ragussa green avant RS2+ spec
    Racing blue Octavia VRS mk2 estate-Remapped now to 250 bhp
    Audi coupe gt-slow as hell but loads of character-sold

I'd suggest having a look at the tyres before delving deeper. There might be damage on one of them causing the symptoms you describe. I would think if the prop or something else is damaged, it would do it all the time and not come and go. I hope its not a diff problem anyway

Comment

Its deffo not tire related,something is going out of alignment down there.I am just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this before?
      Rob

Comment

Could be a worn CV joint on the prop or maybe the center bearing rubber mount has torn/separated from the metal body and banging about.

I'd get it in the air and start looking for visible signs and turning stuff by hand. Could even be a worn exhaust rubber dropping it onto a driveshaft of something!
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Did you get my pm david?
          Rob

Comment

Yes mate...in process of changing jobs and mobile is off air. Am out this morning but will give you a shout later!!!
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Sounds like something is moving about down there and causing the prop to run out of alignment.
              I'd check the centre bearing and diff mounts first
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Center bearing is fubared when i got under the car.Hasn't broken up but there is a lot of play in the rubber surrounding the bearing.So that is to replace aswell
                looks like an overhaul of the prop is in order,just need to find out the part nos for the cv joints.
                From what i have read the ford scorpio ones are the same?
                Rob

Comment

Seen a stone in the tyre tread hit the B4 rear upright... well worth a check for that or similar
                  Cheers'en, AndyC
                  1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                  X