Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym2 - something to be wary of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym2 - something to be wary of?

I posted this on SRS earlier. Anyone have knowledge/anything to add?

I'm about to get the S4 reshod with a set of these and have been doing a bit of research into where to get them etc. I have discovered that there are two variations for this tyre as follows:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - 235/40 R18 95Y XL (R1) FP TL
    This is a general replacement tyre (note the R1 suffix) and has the following ratings:
    Fuel - E
    Wet grip - A
    Noise 70db
    This has an EAN no. of 5452000372307

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - 235/40R18 95Y XL (FO) FP TL
    This is a Ford specific tyre (note the FO suffix) and has the following ratings:
    Fuel - E
    Wet grip - C
    Noise 72db
    This has an EAN no. of 5452000423450

If you go onto the website of a retailer such as Kwikfit or etyres.co.uk there will only be one option for the Eagle F1. I contacted both retailers and in both instances they appear to only stock the FO version. Kwikfit denied it was s Ford specific tyre, saying it was a general replacement tyre, however the ratings and the EAN number of their tyre match the FO tyre.

Kwik fit are looking pretty competitive on price actually, £509.60 fully fitted and then you get a £40 cashback. However if they can only supply the FO I'll be ordering from Camskill who do the R1 for £451.76 delivered. [update, have ordered from Camskill]

So be careful, you may be getting an inferior tyre.

Update, had a response from an email I sent to Kwikfit about it. They have admitted that:

"After checking this with our mechanical team at head office I can confirm it is the Ford fitment tyre available on the website and we are unable to supply the standard fitment, so I do apologise for the confusion sir."

So don't buy from Kwikfit! (unless you have a Ford).

Comment

I bet most customers would be none the wiser too
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

So the FO tyres doesn't work in any other car than Ford?

I'll guess that the reason for more worse wet grip is that they have made the tyre last longer to clear Ford spec. Don't know about the As 2 versions, but the first F1 Asymmetric tyres did wear out quite fast.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
        Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
        BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
        BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Yes it's a slightly difference compound. Goodyear won't divulge the difference in wear characteristics.

Maybe all these retailers stock the older FO version because there's a higher margin on it? who knows.

Comment

It's like the conti sport contacts they have Mo on them meaning they are for Mercedes. I run they Asymmetric 2 on both of my cars but always get the right ones as my tyre guy is fully clued up and wouldn't sell them to anyone with the wrong ratings.
            Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Working...
            X