Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting FARB Drop links

Hi!

I have the adjustable droplinks on my FARB. But now when i try to adjust them I get some strange result.

When the weight of the car is off the suspension i try to set the drop links to "zero" tension and have the same length of the drop links on each side. But, when I set the drop links to have the exact same length and "zero tension" to tha FARB i can see there is a difference in the distance between the driveshafts and the FARB on each side... See the pics...

Also: I have been reading some threads that I have found and som people states that the drop-links should be at a 90 degree angle on to the FARB, mine i def not. One of the drop links gets a 90 degree angle when i have a full left or right turn... Also seen on the pic.

When i now try to drive the car with the setup i mentioned in the start i tends to drag it self to the left...

So my questions are:

What is most important: The same length of the drop links or the distance between the FARB and driveshaft?

Does it make any difference trying to set this up with weight on the wheels or not?

Can the FARB be broken/Bendt?

Or a step by step list for setting this up correct would be highly appreciated!

Please dont make this thread to a discussion wether a adjustable droplink is needed or not, I register divided opinion on that...

Vegard

Drop Link

Not really 90 degrees...
    Attached Files

Comment

Lh

Distance on LH side:
      Attached Files

Comment

Rh

Distance on the RH side:
        Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm.... bump... hehe!

No one to have a opinion on this??

If anybody know some other places to find info about this subject please post the link. I have read the most that can be found on this forum though...

Vegard

Comment

What are you trying to achieve?
            Is the setup standard apart from adjustable drop links?

the S2 due to it being nose heavy you need to focus on the rear arb not the front.

Adjustable drop links dont do anything to the roll bar, other than move it closer or further away from the driveshaft.

What will change the roll stiffness on a roll bar is to change the pivot point on the bar-
            That is why certain uprated arbs have a number of mounting holes so you can choose the stiffness you want, to suit your driving style
            This might help explain a bit better:

Anti roll bars provide 2 main functions:

The first is the reduction of body lean. The reduction of body lean is dependent on the total roll stiffness of the vehicle. Increasing the total roll stiffness of a vehicle does not change the steady state total load (weight) transfer from the inside wheels to the outside wheels, it only reduces body lean. The total lateral load transfer is determined by the CG height and track width.

The other function of anti roll bars is to tune the high g / limit understeer behavior of the vehicle. The limit understeer behavior is tuned by changing the proportion of the total roll stiffness that comes from the front and rear axles. Increasing the proportion of roll stiffness at the front will increase the proportion of the total weight transfer that the front axle reacts and decrease the proportion that the rear axle reacts. This will cause the outer front wheel to run at a higher slip angle, and the outer rear wheel to run at a lower slip angle, which is an understeer effect. Increasing the proportion of roll stiffness at the rear axle will have the opposite effect and decrease understeer.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thank You for the reply

But I know this from the start, so my problem/issue now is:

When my droplinks are at the same length and have zero tension when the car have wheight of the wheels, I notice a difference in clearance between the ARB and driveshafts on each side. And when I feel that the car tends to drag itself towards one side, I was wondering if I have set up the ARB wrong.

Do I have to have weight on the wheels when adjusting the links?

Is it more important to have a "level" arb than equal length drop links?

As You see on the picture the ARB is closer to the driveshaft on one side than the other...

Vegard

Comment

The two drop links need to be the same length- then the clearance between driveshaft and arb needs to be checked if its different then you have a bent arb- which will cause the pulling etc.
                Check arb off the car for damage before writing it off

Comment

You should set it up with the weight of the car on the wheels and the springs compressed.
                  As you have adjustable coilovers you can adjust the preload to level the car at the height you've decided to go for. You then adjust one of the links so that the bolt slips through the end of the ARB with no tension whatsoever. If the ARB is perfectly straight then the droplinks could well end up exactly the same length. The adjustability is to compensate for any small differences so that there is no tension in the ARB when not cornering.
                  That is my understanding.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks Newsh!

This is exactly how I was thinking aswell! I only wasnt certain if I had to have wheight on the wheels or not! Thank You!

@dub: Yes I am really suspecting a bend arb, I just dont understand when or how I managed to do it! Has to come off tomorrow for a check!

Vegard

Comment

Do I assume correctly that these drop links will fit on RS2 ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291710046090...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Comment

Working...
                      X