Tesla Model S encounter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Model S encounter

Due to no sales tax placed on electric cars (and insane tax levels on regular cars), and a pile of other incentives for electric cars, like no road toll, access to drive in the bus lane, etc. the Tesla Model S is/was the #1 selling car in this country (Norway).
    Plenty of vids out showing the Model S beating the F10 BMW M5, new Corvette Stingray, Viper, etc. In other words, they are quick, no doubt.
    However, having analyzed the performance data, I knew that they were quick up to 60mph, but significantly slower after that.

Due to max torque from 0rpm, they are fantastic cars for overtaking , etc, and I guess that most Tesla owners are used to smoking everything that they have ever encountered on the road.
    Got to test performance data vs. real life the other day, and no surprise, the data were confirmed, even though the RS2 was loaded with a full tank, heavy luggage and a passenger. Must be rather disappointing for a spoiled Tesla driver to see the blue, alcohol sipping station wagon hit 2.2bar in 3rd gear and leave the electric wundercar standing still.
    Enough of a disappointment obviously, for him to to vulgarly flick the middle finger when I slowed down to let him catch up and pass.
    Fun times, and good to see the data confirmed.
    Last edited by EspenW; 25 August 2014, 17:35.
    1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
    1994 80E Avant
    1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Nice one. What a prick to give you the finger :corey:
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Aye, you do get some people who are complete bell ends.

I gave a (very smokey) Mazda 3 MPS a shock yesterday. He completely ignored me grinning at him :corey:
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Proper drivers will appreciate the "education" I have had many drivers give me the thumbs up after being dusted but just as many idiots who hate it, despite putting their foot down and having their expensive cars shown up. S4 drivers seem to be the best at appreciating an aging S2 vanishing into the distance. Porsche Boxter drivers are quite the opposite in my experience. BMW drivers don't like it up them either.

Mine is in having the box reconditioned and a new clutch put in at the moment. Looking forward to getting it back on the road to see if I can attract some more abuse.

Comment

My favorite was a Boxster S owner who followed me into the car park at Sainsbury's Gloucester. I had right royaly burned him off and thought oh no a bit of a bruised ego was going to let go. Nope he just said what is it so I said a stock 20 year old RS2 to which he replied it's 20 years old and standard I gotta get one of those!

Comment

Nice! Do you have more info on your car and some photo's?
            1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

Originally posted by V6quattro View Post
              Nice! Do you have more info on your car and some photo's?
              Yup.
              Plenty of info in previous threads, but it is basically a 95 RS2 with Turbonetics T04 E50 turbo running 2.2-2.3 bar peak. Secret is the E85 fuel that this particular setup responded exceptionally well to, with masses of torque and midrange power, so very quick in the 4000-6500rpm range.

I do whp and wheel torque testing on the road, but after seeing that it pulls faster times than comparable 500+ whp cars on the street, I stopped focusing on peak numbers.
              All I care about now is how fast the car is on the road, in applicable speed brackets:

60-100kmh in 1.63s (2nd gear)
              80-120kmh in 1.99s (3rd)
              100-140kmh in 2.06s (3rd)
              100-150kmh in 2.71s (3rd)
              100-160kmh in 3.44s (3rd)
              100-180kmh in 5.20s (4th only)
              100-200kmh in 7.2s (4th only)
              60-80mph in 1.58s (3rd)
              60-90mph in 2.52s (3rd)
              60-100mph in 3.68s (3rd)
              60-120mph in 6.76s (4th only)

Photos: too lazy to post right now... but it looks like a completely stock RS2.
              RS Blau, stock wheels, stock suspension, etc.
              1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
              1994 80E Avant
              1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

Working...
              X