Avant rear lower wishbone / brake line removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avant rear lower wishbone / brake line removal

So I'd hoped I might be able to pop this out without touching brake lines and try to replace bushes + refit.

Now I've got everything else (except the rear tie rods) off, I am under the impression that isn't going to happen as the brake line brackets are welded on and there's not really enough slack.

So, I'm going to have to disconnect brake lines which is something I have always steered well clear of! It looks like there is a chassis-wishbone flexi, solid section on the wishbone, with another flex to the calliper.

What's the best way to do this ensuring I don't get air back up into the system? Guessing I need to drop the flex connections to the wishbone so i can pull it off. Hub is supported with a jack + wood block under the disc.

Anyone near Swindon want a pile of beer tokens to help me do this along with the bush replacement
    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

It kinda depends on if you are able to open them in one piece. But if you can then clamping the flex and opening them on the wishbone side should minimize the bleeding, but you are going to have to bleed them anyway. its not the end of the world, I primed my completely empty brake line system in about 1 hour. A vacuum bleed system works wonders here.
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

I agree, clamp the flexi line and disconnect, use a pressure bleeding system like ezibleed and it is a piece of cake. (Remember to have the handbrake OFF when bleeding). I have changed all the brake fluid in my S2 with the ezibleed, it is not difficult and makes tackling brake replacement issues easy!

Cheers

Steve
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Flexi's are all braided and pretty sturdy so not sure I can clamp them without damaging them?

I do have an ezibleed setup somewhere actually, I'll dig it out and have a go. You've persuaded me to do this properly and replace the brake fluid at the same time, it hasn't been done since 2009

I'll have a go at dropping the lines and report back when I get stuck
        AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Depending on what condition they are in, be prepared to replace bits of the hard lines. If you can soak the unions in advance I would.

I had to replace the hardlines at each joint when I did the rear flexis on the a4 quattro.

You can also stop fluid loss by pushing the brake pedal to the floor (with a line cracked open, and then hold it there with a broom handle. (dont drain the battery with the brake lights on though).

Use a good quality brake spanner on the nuts, and make sure you turn the nut on the hardline, and not the flexi.

If you can borrow anybody that can push a brake pedal upon command for 5 minutes it is easy to bleed the brakes with just fluid, spanner, jam jar and a section of hose. Press brake pedal to floor, open bleeder, close bleeder, pedal up, repeat until no bubbles/prescribed amount of fluid through.
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
          X