Rs2 gearbox in urs4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rs2 gearbox in urs4

So I'm putting a rs2 gearbox into a urs4. The linkage is different so I have swapped over bits and bobs to get it matched up. My problem is that there is a housing that holds the reverse light switch that is much smaller on the rs2 box than the urs4 and v8 s4 boxes I have. I need to use the larger housing as it has a nipple for the linkage. So on the rs2 box everything seems OK with the larger housing on. But on the urs4 gearbox when I bolt up the rs2 housing I cannot select gears.

So my concern is that the larger housing will allow something to move that shouldn't on the rs2 box. I would also like to use the urs4 box at some point in the future but obviously this smaller housing isn't going to work. Any thoughts or btdt ?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

The C4 housing ("cover for gearshift rod") is 01E301453C. It was used on all the C4 manuals including the S6plus and even early A8s (say to 1999) and the V8 manuals.

The RS2 housing 01E301453D is also the S2 CGR housing, probably smaller (doesn't stick out as much) beause the B4 chassis is obvisously not as wide as the C4 chassis.

Not sure what your problem is. You are only going to have one transmission in the UrS4at a time. So use the 01E301453C housing on the CRB if you need it because of the nipple/boss. Put the 01E301453D aside with the UrS4 transmission.

C4 with the deeper/taller/thicker 01E301453C and shift linkage:

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post

So my concern is that the larger housing will allow something to move that shouldn't on the rs2 box.
      The small housing bolted onto the S4 box locks it up.

So. Does the big housing on the RS2 box allow a shaft to float more than it should?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Des, take both housings off and take some measurements/ pics of the shaft that sticks out into the housing on both.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

The UrS4 5 spd and 6 spd 01E and the RS2 CRB 6 spd front transmission cases are the same, 01E301103K, as shown here:

Attached Files
          RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

the shift rod is a different length. that is why it locks up.

Comment

ahhh finally found the picture. but in my experience the cap and shift rod need to stay together, or you can modify the rod like i did. after i broke one last year.... real pisser too. never broke one like that nor ever seen one break that way either. sheared the roll pin clean thru and had no shifting.

take care though, as the 5 speed rod is missing one track in the end for 6th gear. i only run a 4 gear trans in the racecar so i didnt care about anything higher than 4th.

look at the far left portion, see the longer part of the end sticking out? that is binding up on the shallower cap or cover.

Last edited by speeding-g60; 29 August 2014, 07:19.

Comment

these tracks are what is missing for 6th on the 5 speed shift/selector rod.

and the obvious shorter left (in this picture) end piece protruding.

Comment

Great info guys. Yes the shift rod must be shorter on the rs2 box. So how is this rod changed? Just pulls out? Makes me nervous...

Oh I want both gearboxes working at once as I have a ur quattro that's getting the noisy urs4 box. Might as well finish it off in the quattrito lol.

Last edited by diesel des; 29 August 2014, 08:11.

Comment

pull the linkage off the end of the rod.
                    pull the cap that we are talking about.
                    in neutral, the thing just pulls right out from that cover plate.

obviously out of the car.

Comment

Cheers I will give it a go tomorrow and update you on how it goes. Cheers des

Comment

i forgot to mention the two detents (those big nut looking things) need to come out too, or at least loosened up so the thing is out of the tracks.

Comment

Thanks for the advice I haven't had time yet to do this but will keep you updated Cheers

Comment

Rs2 shaft is the shorter clean one. Urs4 is long one.

Comment

It all bolts up and feels great. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X