01A Gearbox Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01A Gearbox Rebuild

Hello chaps.... I replaced the 5 speed 01A box in my car when I changed to RS2+ spec engine as the 2nd syncro was bad.

Any gearchange above 4000 rpm resulted in grinding along with down shifting gears into 2nd.

The box I put in believe it or not has a noisey 1st gear when coasting and the clutch is down. So guessing it's worn on the backside of some gears. Also now 2nd gear syncro is noisey.

However both boxes have done over 222,000 miles so I can't be too harsh.

So having never had to open up an 01A box. I thought I would share my findings...

I have found a company online that does super duper syncro's which I intend to use.

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalo...ch-p-1430.html

I am at a point now where I can't seem to withdraw the main shaft. Does anyone have any how to's or technical workshop manual for this?

I have already removed the selector rod, and also noted that it may also be possible to increase the number of plungers in the standard reverse switch, which will then give you an indication of which gear is selected in the box. This could then be linked to your aftermarket ECU to map per gear with no guesswork as to which gear is selected.

Next question, I once heard an old wives tail about being able to give the 5 speed box a 6th gear. Which will allow a top speed of 200mph. Whilst keeping all the standard ratio's in the lower gears. Is this true? Has anyone done it? What's required?

And finally has anyone successfully converted the 5 speed box to sequential? I have thought of using an industrial servo stepper motor like what is used on small CNC machines to do this job.
    I think it's linear stepper motor
    Last edited by Tonks4x4; 29 August 2014, 08:13. Reason: mistake
    Audi Nut!!!

I have just had my spare S4 gearbox rebuilt with uprated 1st/ 2nd shift collar and all new carbon synchros. I will be taking it out for a drive this weekend with the rebuilt box fitted so I will be able to tell you how good it is. The rebuild kit comes with a disc showing how to strip and rebuild the boxes in detail which is very informative.

Comment

Cool, care to send me a copy of the disc to look at?
      Audi Nut!!!

Comment

My box (5spd) is currently at Central Axles in Birmingham. They are waiting on bearings on back order from Germany as they are not available from Audi UK. Poor guy has had my car on his ramp over a week now.

Not sure if availability is the same for 6 spd but you might have problems with some components being NLA (as usual)

Good luck with it. I cannot wait to have mine back with a new clutch ready to sing again.

Comment

Originally posted by G60Rallye View Post
          I have just had my spare S4 gearbox rebuilt with uprated 1st/ 2nd shift collar and all new carbon synchros. I will be taking it out for a drive this weekend with the rebuilt box fitted so I will be able to tell you how good it is. The rebuild kit comes with a disc showing how to strip and rebuild the boxes in detail which is very informative.
          Originally posted by Tonks4x4 View Post
          Hello chaps.... I replaced the 5 speed 01A box in my car when I changed to RS2+ spec engine as the 2nd syncro was bad.

Any gearchange above 4000 rpm resulted in grinding along with down shifting gears into 2nd.

The box I put in believe it or not has a noisey 1st gear when coasting and the clutch is down. So guessing it's worn on the backside of some gears. Also now 2nd gear syncro is noisey.

However both boxes have done over 222,000 miles so I can't be too harsh.

So having never had to open up an 01A box. I thought I would share my findings...

I have found a company online that does super duper syncro's which I intend to use.

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalo...ch-p-1430.html

I am at a point now where I can't seem to withdraw the main shaft. Does anyone have any how to's or technical workshop manual for this?

I have already removed the selector rod, and also noted that it may also be possible to increase the number of plungers in the standard reverse switch, which will then give you an indication of which gear is selected in the box. This could then be linked to your aftermarket ECU to map per gear with no guesswork as to which gear is selected.

Next question, I once heard an old wives tail about being able to give the 5 speed box a 6th gear. Which will allow a top speed of 200mph. Whilst keeping all the standard ratio's in the lower gears. Is this true? Has anyone done it? What's required?

And finally has anyone successfully converted the 5 speed box to sequential? I have thought of using an industrial servo stepper motor like what is used on small CNC machines to do this job.
          I think it's linear stepper motor

The s4 box is an 01E.
          6th gear swap is only doable on 5 speed 01E or 016 as far as im aware, there isnt enough room in the 01A for another ratio.

And regarding the syncros, jhm dont make those upgraded syncros for 1st and 2nd for the 01A, only the 01E which is what G60Rallye would have used.
          1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

01A workshop manual bits here

http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a4_...g_input_shaft/

Advanced Automotion do a TDI 5th 01A

http://advancedautomotion.com/shop/p...607b2e70412b35

I dont think jhm do an 01a 2nd synchro though.

JHM do an 01e service video, and the o1e workshop pdf is hosted online or can be emailed.

5 speed o1e can be converted to 6 speed, but not o1a afaik. You can get a 200mph 6th for an O1E.

There is an 01e sequential kit, sqs iirc, Aaron had one in his drag cq.
              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Cool, care to send me a copy of the disc to look at?
                I have the same DVD, it's for an 01E box, but should give you a good idea. There's a link on here somewhere for it online, if you can't find it I'll lend you the disc

Edit : it was here

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...light=20+bucks

Does not seem to be working any more.
                sigpic
                1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Just watched it Andy the 5 speed and 6 speed box are so different from each other.
                  Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X