This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track day suspension geometry

After all the work under Projekt Kastor, it's time to get it tracked...

Anyone got any settings they'd like to share?

Or, anyone got the stock settings as a starting point?
    Last edited by Rusty; 18 September 2014, 13:08.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Factory settings are as follows,

Front axle toe, + 10' +/- 10'
    Front axel camber, -50' +/- 30'
    Front Castor + 2 degree's 15' +/- 30'

Rear axel toe, + 20 +/- 10
    Rear axel camber, -40' +/- 30'

Mine was set up like this, towards the max tollerances on the front camber and castor and everything else as close to stock as pos, it felt very good but I need to get it set up again soon as I've pissed about with all sorts since having done.

FL Caster, 2 degrees 57'
    FR Caster, 2 degrees 46'

FL Camber, 1 degree 09'
    FR Camber, 1 degree 10'

FL Toe, 04'
    FR Toe, 04'

RL Camber, 49'
    RR Camber, 50'

RL Toe, 07'
    RR Toe, 19'
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

I ran just over -2 camber when I had my avus on, not got enough clearance now
      I have nothing scientific to share, other than it felt more planted on corner entry
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
        I ran just over -2 camber when I had my avus on, not got enough clearance now
        I have nothing scientific to share, other than it felt more planted on corner entry
        Front and back?
        Chef

Comment

Front. IIRC about -1.30 rear... I'll have to dig the sheet out
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            Anyone got any settings they'd like to share?

Or, anyone got the stock settings as a starting point?
            It depends on wheels and suspension setup. More grip = more camber to avoid wearing the outside of the tires. If lowered a lot the geometry gets bad as camber decreases on the outside wheel instead of increase as you would with std ride hight and then you need more camber. A bit of trial and error is needed

Comment

Cheers Kit, that'll give me something to ponder.

I'm hoping for 4.5 degrees of castor at least and I think I'll also go for an almost neutral front and rear toe, perhaps with a little toe in to make road driving a little better.

I've added an additional 0.5-1 degrees of rear camber with the rear top mount setup and have the option of adding 0.25-0.5 degrees or so at the front, at the expense of a tad of castor, something like 0.1-0.2 degrees.

I'd have thought that if I can get over 4 degrees of castor and around 1.5 camber on the front, with around the 1.5-2 degrees at the back, that should make things a little better in the corners.

The coupe suspension design is such that under braking, the rear goes toe-out and under power, the rear goes toe-in. The front is the opposite...

So, if you trail brake in to a corner or go in at anything less than neutral throttle, the rear toe-out livens things up a bit. This can make things a little squirrelly under braking, so I'd prefer to err on the side of caution there, rather than make the car unstable under braking, of which there's a fair bit a Combe!
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29071

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...1&postcount=35

Originally posted by raymor
                Tyres : Toyo 225/45x16 R888 - 34Psi Fr and 32Psi Rr
                Front track increase of 30mm - 15mm spacers each side.
                H&R springs
                Koni adjustables - 2 turns 'hard' fr and 2.5 turns 'hard' rear (IIRC). They're a strip down and rebuild setup so not conducive to trackside changes.
                RS2 Fr ARB
                Neuspeed Rr ARB set to mid position.
                Front -1.7degrees negative camber
                Rear -1.2 degrees negative camber
                Front castor - Standard - non adjustable
                Front Toe out - 10minutes
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Booked in for 4 wheel alignment on 7th October, so just in time for Combe

Just need to get the wishbones on now. I'll leave the poly bushes until another time...
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Looking online at M3 suspension settings, to see what they run.

Road -1.5 to -2 deg camber all round, slight toe in front and rear, 7 to 7.5 deg castor.

Track -2.5 to -3.5 deg front, -2 rear, neutral to toe out front, slight toe in rear, 7.5+deg castor.

The limits on this may be as much to do with adjustment as desired settings but it's interesting to see how a car that's respected for its handling is setup.

Porsches seem to have high castor and sensible camber (1.5 deg max).

Renaultsport cars seem to be 0.5-1 camber, 3 castor and neutral to slight toe in.

These are different cars but it's interesting to compare and contrast.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I'm getting my geo set up on Tuesday, normally I ask for maximum available caster & negative camber at the front wich on mine nets about 2,30' caster, -1,45' camber, then -1,30' camber rear and factory toe settings.
                      I'm planning on optimising the corner weights too, a mate's just bought a set of scales for his workshop I think there will be some small improvement to be made there.
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Running with slicks and a low/hard suspension setup I use the following setup:
                        Front: 2,75-3 deg camber with 0-0,05 toe in.
                        Rear: 2 deg camber with 0 toe in

Subframe mounted solid and poly bushed lower arms so not much toe variations under braking / power.

Comment

The toe changes with ride height, so there will be variations no matter what you do
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I just set mine up yesterday Andy, I'll post the sheet up later.

I went for totally neutral toe F & R, and I maxed out the camber front & rear.
                            It was only a quick set-up to get everything pointing roughly in the right direction as i still need to tweak the ride height and optimise the corner weights, then I can set it up again and get it bang on.

It feels really crisp though, nice sharp turn in. I've not had the space to get it to loose traction yet
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

what was max camber you managed to get? Did you touch strut bolts to hub? I noticed, that there is some play too - maybe a degree or less?
                              BLOG: http://quattro10vt.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X