Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello S2 fans

Hello S2 fans.

My name is Rav and I am located in Wiltshire. I have always been a fan of Audi's - but mainly for my daily drivers in tdi form. I have had B5 A4 tdi and now have a B6 tdi. I just got my wife a 57 plate tdi A6 avant.
    My toys have usually been Porsche - I have had a 944 turbo se, 968 cs, 911 carrera 3.2, 944 turbo. I had to sell up my Porsche to buy my family home (with double garage).

A freind has a late model (1996 n Plate) S2 that has been sitting for a while. Its finished in Silver with black leather. It has hardly moved in two years and is showing signs of rust.

He has told me to make him an offer. With so little information to go on, what would be a guide price (minimum for a basket case) to a mint car.

My mechanical skills are useless but i am happy to follow instructions and have basic knowledge. What are these cars like to work on?
    Are parts on these cars as expensive as my old Porsches?

I have been looking at youtube for S2s and all the clips are of monsters with 500bhp. What are these like in standard 280bhp (?) guise?

I hope that I can have this in my price bracket (£2.5k) as that is all i have left after my house purchase.

Some further details of the car:

Mention of Rs2 chips?
    Racing suspension
    Miltek exhaust
    Brake lines, discs and pads new in 2011, it has MoT and tax.

Any help appreciated. Thank you. Fingers crossed for some good news next week.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like your mate's car needs saving. There weren't many S2s plated in 96 so it is a pretty rare late model car. £2.5k is cheap for such an example. You will need to get your hands dirty or you will need to sell that house of yours to fund running an S2. Parts are expensive and they are not the easiest cars to work on. Add to that some complicated systems and labour bills could go through the roof chasing fairly rudimentary issues.
    Don't let that put you off though, they are amazing cars and as Audi intended they excel at everything.

Stock ABY is 230hp. 270-290hp with a remap. I would think twice before running that with stock brakes though, they are borderline for a standard car.
    Have a good read of S2Central which is a mine of information and will get you started nicely
    www.s2central.net
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Id offer 2.5 max. they are all money pits though. Is it avant or coupe?

Comment

Its a Coupe - They look lovely as coupes in my mind.

It has a sunroof too and 6 spd box. I have told him that my max bid is £2.5 providing it isnt a basket case.

Cars of this era munch through wallets, but thats the fun of it - isnt it?

Comment

Hi Rav, welcome to the forum.

As said previously 2.5k is cheap for an s2. As ERROR said it is certainly worth looking around s2central first before making any commitments.

Another idea would be to see if you can get some photos of the s2 and post some up here..

These cars really can swallow money very quickly and parts can sometimes be hard to find but they really are fantastic cars and just need some TLC and a good bit of motivation!
          96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
          96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

If you're willing to put the effort in and can source some used parts when needed it would be a good buy. T also depends if your preference is to restore it to OEM condition or make some enhancements along the way, some which may be out of necessity due to availability of parts or price of them. The engine themselves isn't any worse to work on than most, but can be a bit tight in places. Being an older cat you're likely to come up against a few electrical gremlins and wear. E.g corroded earth's, intermittent rear lights, sensor problems MFTS, MAF, WGFv). The forum has loads of info on the majority of these and guides on common problems if you're willing to try and fix yourself.
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Plan on spending around the same amount you pay to get it in decent shape I reckon...it will still be a steal at that price and with a remap will deliver plenty of smiles and the grip on a healthy car is awesome, especially at this time of the year!

Welcome and look fwd to seeing some pics!
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I agree with most of the above but you sound like me, as in you have limited technical skills and would be happy to have a go but might need the help of the mechanic with some things.

For the guys above who can do stuff themselves, £2.5k is a very good price for this car but not a giveaway price. It sounds like it has rust issues, which suggests body work repair (not cheap) This also tells me it possibly has spent part, if not all of its life outside. Coupes are well built and last well but they do suffer from water ingress in places. Take time to check ALL the interior (boot, footwells, carpets, light clusters, everywhere) for damp. If it has been outside, you are also more likely to encounter other issues from water, ie, electrical gremlins. Even kept in dry conditions, they have a wiring system that is in excess of 20yrs old for most of these cars. Electrical issues can be a pain to fault find and fix. It also has a sunroof. The seals can go and mechanisms can fail sometimes too. Parts can be hard to source. Check the sunroof.

If it has stood, it will need 4 new tyres I presume, as I would not run a car with this power on old, possibly perished tyres. That is at least another £400.

For the guys above, the car is easily worth £2.5k. For you and I, maybe that is the absolute limit. When I got my Coupe, I spent ages finding as near a perfect example as I could. I did extremely well, lucky you might even say but it still has eaten into my wallet and that is without having to immediately replace tyres, exhausts, body work etc etc.

That said, you should buy it and take your time sorting it out if need be. They are superb cars in every sense when they are running well and a reliable car given their power and age. Even in standard form, they are a match for many cars but with a little tinkering, they are animals. We all like an animal around here.

Comment

Hi and welcome.to me £2.5K for late ABY Coupe sound good. Im sure if that would be on ebay somebody would take it for £3k without even looking.you will have to spend money on it from time to time (usually alot of money) �� but thay are lovely cars.
                  It would be nice to see some photos .:-)

Comment

Welcome mate to the forum it's always good to save these the cars!! But I would also take the time to shop around someone on here the other day mentioned there were about 6 S2s on classic cars for sale so for once there's a choice but to answer your question 2.5k for a 96 aby is cheap but like you said it's stood still for a while then it will probably need 2.5k to put it right but if you do that then you know it's done etc good luck anyways

Comment

Just buy it, and you will learn about them very quickly. Don't be put of as they are very reliable, but due to there age suffer from things like boost leaks etc. You will soon find your way round these small niggles with the help of this forum.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.
                        I still havent heard from the current owner - but hope he will come back to me tomorrow with a viewing on Saturday.

Here are some pictures:

Comment

Some TLC and it could be sahweet !
                          Paul Nugent
                          Webmaster http://S2central.net
                          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Agree with the guy above just buy it and give it some loving!!!

Comment

Looks a good one, look out for:
                              Rusty subframes, the rear especially can rust through.
                              Water in the boot, which will have leaked through the rear lights or around the boot seal.
                              Damp carpet in the footwells which leaks in from the door seals or the sunroof.
                              Poorly fitted windscreen which will show through the side trims not fitting properly and possible bubbling along the top of the screen.
                              Accident damage as with any car.

All of the above can cause bigger problems if they have got out of hand. Being stood outside the leaks would be my main worry, after 2 years you might have a mini aquarium on your hands! Rusty front wings are also quite common but not the end of the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X