Driver's door won't open from inside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's door won't open from inside!

This is daft, I had a problem with the door, the central locking wasn't being triggered when locking the car, so I pulled the door card and checked inside, sure enough the vacuum actuator in the bottom of the door wasn't connected to the rod, the retaining collar had dropped down. I swapped in a spare actuator and buttoned it all back up. All pleased with myself, I got in the car and shut the door and found I couldn't get out, the inside door handle wasn't working. Climb out passenger side and it opens fine from outside the car. Pulled it all apart again to check cable position etc. and it all looks ok but it's as if the cable is too long The cable is not pulling the catch far enough to release it..

What have I done??

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

put the cable in the wrong guides on the door card?

Comment

Ahh that old chestnut

Also try locking/unlocking that door with the key and see if it works then.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Also, sounds strange, but try the hook the other way round where it attaches to the handle.

made quite a difference on mine

sent via Tapatalk
        Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
        S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
        '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

I've tried locking and unlocking with the key and I've tried both positions on the door card, in the groove lile the pic above and out of the groove which nearly works, just can't get enough pull.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
            Ahh that old chestnut

Also try locking/unlocking that door with the key and see if it works then.
            I would have suggested what Mark said. In his photo there is a small silver clasp missing that clamps the start of the green tube, but I don't think it will make any difference to your problem.

Small consolation, but just be thankful you could open the door from the outside to get the door card off again.

When my driver's door acted up, I had to prise off the door seal rubber along the B pillar to get at the small screw at the top of the door card, which is hidden when the door is shut. Which was only the start of my grief. A right pita.

Best wishes.

Comment

I've never had the inside and outside fail at once, nightmare..

How easy is it to change the latch? (the big chrome bit) Can it be done with the door card in place?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Yes the latch can be replaced with the door card in place. The trickiest part is removing and attaching the bowden cable to the lever at the back of the latch. There is a hole at the base of the latch where you can insert a small flat blade screwdriver into which will drop the lever down allowing you to concentrate on removing/attaching the cable.

It just needs a bit of patience and all will be good.

Comment

Ok, sorted, the cable is supposed to sit in a groove at the base of the lever, it had somehow popped out of this and settled on the lever itself higher up. So it was still pulling the lever but not far enough to unlatch. I took the door card off again and relocated it and all is well

Thanks all!
                  Last edited by newsh; 19 June 2013, 23:28.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Funny I had this exact issue recently (the broken actuator) and I also trapped myself in the car as i put the cable onto the latch mechanism wrong
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Glad you got it sorted. I recently asked the question what can be done if you are unable to unlock the door from the inside or outside (due to internal latch failure) without resorting to invasive surgery on the door card and somewhat surprisingly I didn't get an answer. Any idea on this?

Comment

Shown with spare parts off the car.

The cable was hooked like this..

It should be hooked in the little groove like this..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
                          Glad you got it sorted. I recently asked the question what can be done if you are unable to unlock the door from the inside or outside (due to internal latch failure) without resorting to invasive surgery on the door card and somewhat surprisingly I didn't get an answer. Any idea on this?
                          I think the only way would be through the door card, unless you could get to the small screw in the door jam and then lift the card up enough to push the actuator rod up from below.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            Funny I had this exact issue recently (the broken actuator) and I also trapped myself in the car as i put the cable onto the latch mechanism wrong
                            It's amazing how these cars have the same faults, I'll often tell Pete at White Cottage that something needs doing on my car and he'll say "that's funny I've just had to do that job on 2 S2s last week!..

I don't understand why the door lock would go wrong, I mean the car's only done 250,000 Miles over 21 years!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                              I would have suggested what Mark said. In his photo there is a small silver clasp missing that clamps the start of the green tube, but I don't think it will make any difference to your problem.

Small consolation, but just be thankful you could open the door from the outside to get the door card off again.

When my driver's door acted up, I had to prise off the door seal rubber along the B pillar to get at the small screw at the top of the door card, which is hidden when the door is shut. Which was only the start of my grief. A right pita.

Best wishes.
                              Tell me more Macspring.

My drivers door won't open from inside or outside . Mot due in 2 weeks and it will not be passed if I don't get it fixed .
                              4 Rings Rule.......Everytime

1984 80 Quattro B2 - Project Car
                              1996 S2 - ABY 6 Speed - Pride and joy
                              2003 A2 TDI - Economy

Comment

Working...
                              X