Custom 01E gear ratios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 01E gear ratios

How many here running custom gears in their 01E transmission? The worst thing with the stock ratios may be the short 1:st gear and long change to 2:nd. Also the 1-2 collar is easily damaged and suffer syncro wear. My box suffer from a bad syncro and sticky collar, it's not superbad, but grinds every time on fast shifts.

For drag lauches a longer 1:st gear would be good. What do you guys think of this with 1:st and 2:nd gears with custom ratio. 1:st is 2.80 and 2:nd 1.82.

Stock ratios are: 3.50 - 1.89 - 1.32 - 1.03 - 0.86 - 0.73 (dark blue in the diagram)

It's also possible to get custom gears for 3:rd to 6:th from SQS for a quite good price. http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/355...ng-competition

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

my custom geared PAR Engineering dogbox was geared:

1st - 3.00
    2nd - 2.05
    3rd - 1.45
    4th - 1.04

we made these gears with many factors including tire size, weight of car, power/torque. basically it dropped 26-2800 rpm per shift keeping me fully spooled on a gear change. since shifting 92-9300, i never fell off boost on a shift.

was great. that 1-2 oem ratio sucks bad especially for drag racing. i would take mine up to around 9500 rpm in first gear just to not fall off so bad on the 1-2 shift.

Comment

Depends on your power band too so it's more useful to look at tractive force (axle torque)
      Then you can analyse your ratios and also pick your optimum shift points

See attached sheet (it's got data in it for my 0A3 and "baby" turbo so you will need to alter the figures)

HTH
      Attached Files
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Ok, great to hear. With 8200rpm redline stock 1->2 drops 3772rpm and 2->3 drops 2473rpm. With the custom 1-2 gears it is 2870rpm and 2253rpm.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          Depends on your power band too so it's more useful to look at tractive force (axle torque)
          Then you can analyse your ratios and also pick your optimum shift points

See attached sheet (it's got data in it for my 0A3 and "baby" turbo so you will need to alter the figures)

HTH
          The top power would propably be at quite narrow area as there will be a quite big turbo. There will be some overall torque as the M112 will take care of that, but it will maybe boost something like 1-1,2 bar and then turbo boost 2,5+bar so there will be a clear difference when turbo kick in. But can't say anything about the outcome yet.

Alex, thanks for the file.
          Last edited by Thuppu; 22 November 2016, 19:59.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Well, I think it's gona be a huge difference on 1/4 mile with the custom 1 and 2 ratios vs stock ratios. 900rpm less drop between the shift. Also with dog engaged gears shift from 1->2 would be a lot faster.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

All the gears are very tall.ive followed a few cars on track which have got through 3 gears when I've been in 3rd only

Be nice to do something like this but ÂŁÂŁÂŁ don't exist, so I'll watch your progress instead
              Cheers'en, AndyC
              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Yeah, they are. Something like 330+km/h. The kit from SQS would help on that but it's another 1.8ke, and then there isn't much difference anymore to order a full custom dogbox kit.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
                  Well, I think it's gona be a huge difference on 1/4 mile with the custom 1 and 2 ratios vs stock ratios. 900rpm less drop between the shift. Also with dog engaged gears shift from 1->2 would be a lot faster.
                  The 1-2 dog engagement is insane yes! I never measured it as my measuring device couldn't handle the shock and stopped measuring but I think I can get my car under 3 sec to 100 with it.
                  1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

Originally posted by V6quattro View Post
                    The 1-2 dog engagement is insane yes! I never measured it as my measuring device couldn't handle the shock and stopped measuring but I think I can get my car under 3 sec to 100 with it.
                    Nice! Not many supercars can keep up.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

my 0-60 mph was 2.3 sec when i logged with V-box.

Comment

What do you guys think of this? It would be possible to to make shorter gear changes also to gears 3 and 4 with stock Audi parts, but is it worth it..? Usage would be trackdays and 1/4 mile drag.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

I think you can make some small improvements, but for a large cost! You only notice 1st to 2nd hole on the strip - on track no problem
                          Don't forget custom first means a whole new shaft!
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

and custom 3 OR 4 means new layshaft or hollow shaft, as well.

if you are going to the trouble of having custom gearing done like i did, your best bet would be to get what fits YOUR powerband best. where YOUR GEAR CHANGE puts you on each shift.

Comment

Alex, 1st and 2nd is no problem, shaft and gears are already made. The 3rd and 4th could be taken from A6 Allroad 2.7 trans. Cost depends on how mutch a used trans is, new parts are like 1600e(not worth it). But I may go with only the custom 1-2...

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Working...
                              X