X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 A6 2.5tdi quattro avant for sale

Hi folks,

I'm putting my A6 up for sale.
    Located in Ireland, so advertised locally also. Ad wording used elsewhere, targeting some uninitiated, so excuse the baby talk, over explanation and most probable errata......
    I'm still in shock that an ad has been posted...! I'll miss being a part of this community when it's gone.
    You guys will appreciate the ad if nothing else.

Reads....

This is no S4 or S6 in terms of performance, but it has all the same tickly bits, it moves when asked & won’t have you at the pumps as often as the petrol equivalent!

It’s NCT’d to May 2017, with only a few miles done since the last test and was declared off the road in May 2016 (SORD) when it was replaced by an A6 allroad, two generations up. A much more thirsty & expensive beast to run…. but just as much fun. [Fresh 2 year NCT on that tonight – woohoo!].

I had been keeping this for one of my brothers, but he’s bought an A3 instead, so I’ve made the very hard decision to put it up for sale, rather than letting it slowly rot on the driveway. I just don’t have the storage space in the garage for it at the moment and it’d be a shame to let it go to pot. This car is still very popular in our household.

This was an ex demo / press car from launch in the UK, so someone got excited with the order list. It has pretty much every extra that was available at the time & is in the launch/advertising paint colour. To position it in a timeline, this was the first of the A6’s (successor of the 100), first TD ‘red I’, and to my knowledge, the first of the 6 speed manual boxes, so flagship exec of the time, only being one step down from the then brand flagship of the all new A8! But that was 20 years ago.

I’ve sourced & added a few things over the years, so as it sits, it’s pretty tasty, apart from the horrendous lacquer peel all over & the rust starting at the bottom of the tail gate. It needs a lick of paint to have it looking right. Otherwise, you don’t feel so bad about rubbing it off briars on a backroad in its’ current state.

We’ve had it since July of 2011 & have done a good share of work to it to keep it fresh. It rolled 192k miles the day I picked it up and as of today reads 258652 miles.

Anyone that knows the C4 platform, and this 5 cylinder AEL engine model in particular, will be aware that they’re renowned for their reliability. To put how good these cars are in perspective, when facing the similarly tough decision of having to sell one of the fleet to get a people carrier a few years ago, given the choice between offloading our well minded Mk5 GTI or this, I chose to lose the GTI. Madness? Yes & No. This will do 37.7mpg all day long, is comfortable, reliable & winter-proof. You can dip a pair of wheels into the grass margin on a country road & keep moving, quickly & safely. The Torsen diff is a pleasure & completely transparent. 2 wheel drive cars just can’t do that. The 6 speed manual is a pleasure to use too, with precise gear changes, nothing sloppy in the linkage.

It’s proved Swiss Army Knife usefulness for us, from becoming herself’s daily on a 50 mile round trip daily commute to the capability of occasionally pulling a double axle trailer & cabin of full of bagged timber (you can fit 12 fertiliser bags of blocks in the back with the seats down!) up a 20 deg incline without having to slip the clutch or touch the throttle. Very few things impress my father-in-law, and that did!
    It gives you a 2m long load space with the seats folded flat. Enough to sleep in at a festival & then plough out through the muddy field on your way home.

Sport spec from the factory with high bolstered heated leather seats (both working), three spoke adjustable steering wheel etc,
    I’ve replaced the shocks & springs all round with a Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit, freshening things up considerably & lowering it by an additional 25mm or so. These things rode high from the factory, it was the fashion back then! Bushes all round, track rod arms (not just ends) etc done & 4 wheel alignment, so it no longer eats the inner 35mm of the front tyres.

It came with 16” Avus originally, but is currently sitting on refurbished 17” Bolero’s wrapped in 225/45/17 Conti Sport Contact 5’s with 5mm tread left all round. They really suit the car both in terms of aesthetics & driving style. Not harsh & loads of grip. I’m loathed to let them go, as they took a good while to source & look well on a Mk5 Golf too, but the Avus are on the A3 as loaner winters.

New battery Nov 2016. The interior lights were left on when my young assistants helped me clear it out & drained the battery over time. Typically, the previous battery was only 2 years old, but is completely discharged. Now starts on the turn of the key. Speaking of, there are 3 keys with it, 2 of them standard, one service, all original.

New headlight bulbs pre last NCT. I removed the hid’s (projector headlamps & washer jets, so never any issue with the test), as one of the ballasts was playing up. Got replacements, but didn’t get to fit them.

Factory metal tilt & slide sunroof. All works. Has the emergency handle in the lid, just in case.

Electric windows all round. Rear left needs a new regulator cable, so is temporarily fixed in the closed position.

Central locking works from both front doors & opens / closes windows & sunroof. It has the archaic infrared one button key system (that was soon dropped), and despite my best efforts, I couldn’t get it to work. Common practice is to fit an ‘R-click’ RF system, with plenty of guidance on audifans.net for this & other mods/fixes.

7 seater, with a tail gunner style fold away bench in the boot. No ISOFIX anywhere – ETKA says that there are straps available for the rear, but this doesn’t have any fixing points on the chassis for them.

Electronic climatronic (needs a re-gas) – all other hot/cold/position programs work. Common problem on these units, but this one is fine. Also has the ‘huge money day one ‘extra of a cabin preheater – on cold mornings, you don’t have to wait for the engine to heat up in order to in turn heat the cabin. It’s worth it for that alone!

It has driver & passenger airbags, abs, ebd and the magic of the Torsen centre diff. All very fancy in 1996.

The comprehensive service history is in the book (see photos plus receipts), but as a summary the major items include:

Timing Belt, tensioners, water pump etc. (full Gates kit both front & rear – rear being the fuel pump) replacement at 226K miles.

Brake pads all round (Audi OEM front, Mintex rear), new rear discs & one calliper on the rear, fluid flush.

I added a hen’s teeth centre armrest, sourced from an S6 being broken in the USA. The UK/Irish cars didn’t ship with them & they very rarely come up. You forget it’s black against the cream leather when you’re sitting comfortably.

Rear tow bar with electrics & repeater in the cabin for the trailer lights.

EGR has been fitted with a blanking plate, not deleted.

Both boost pipes replaced with Roose Motorsport silicone pipes.

ECU has home fried chips bringing it from the factory 140bhp to something in the region of 170bhp, extra torque, without excessive smoke. Original chips stored safely & easily replaced – they’re socketed.

The roof bars (Lidl’s finest whistling Dixie model) are included in the deal & I have spares that I’ve collected including headlight parts, spare turbo (it came in the boot of a breaker that I bought, so I don’t know if it’s good or bad, but these K14’s rarely give trouble, they’re fixed vane), a spare rear bumper cover (in silver, but good condition), set of clocks etc.

I’ve read of people running these (and the Volvo’s that used the same engine) on vegetable oil mix, but I haven’t chanced it.

Given the time & money spent on the mechanicals, and the figures that these make in both the UK & Europe in much worse condition/lesser spec, I’m looking at €3500 for it as it stands. The wheels & tyres alone stand me a third of that!

Herself says that there’s a bonus tin of USA Assorted biscuits to a pre-Christmas buyer.

I’ve put it up here before it gets thrown to the ‘what’s your lowest price’ lions elsewhere.
    Ideally, I’d like someone that appreciates it as much as us to take it.
    I am sorely tempted to ‘hide’ it in a reorganised garage / friend’s barn for a few years……!

Link to photos on dropbox below, as photobucket keeps kicking off my virus checker.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y98uj265s...kczndNISa?dl=0

I can be contacted by PM here.

Car located in West Limerick. No insurance, no drive. Bring the paperwork to prove it.
    Well worth a look for someone interested in this model & spec.

James
    sigpic
    A6 (C6) Allroad 3.0 tdi quattro
    181 VW Touran - Highline

Gone:
    A6 (C4) 2.5TDI Avant quattro- Ron Burgundy, Daily Hack
    '05 Mk5 GTI - Herself's Daily
    '90 Mk2 GTI 16v

Awesome car and is weirdly at the top of my want list and has been for a long time.

Sadly not the time for me to be buying but a car like this can only go to a good home. Good luck with the sale, I wish it was coming to me.

Did I miss the mileage ?

Comment

Originally posted by 8690q View Post
      Did I miss the mileage ?
      258k miles.

What a spec!! Nice car for someone.

GLWS

Comment

Thanks lads.
        The spec is enormous alright. It'd still be in service with us (and I tried my best to keep it in the family), but the allroad came up at the right price & I couldn't let it go. It too has a spec sheet longer than my arm!
        This old A6 is so much nicer to drive in a lot of respects though. The bagged allroad rides like a whale!
        John, as you say, a nice car for someone, especially one that knows what they're getting & appreciates it.
        At the mileage, she's only just run in! [emoji1]
        sigpic
        181 VW Touran - Highline

Gone:
        '90 Mk2 GTI 16v

Comment

I'm sure I have met this car a few times on the Cork to Limerick road a few times...

nice motor
          96 UrS6
          96 UrS6 Avant
          Previous:
          '87 coupe quattro, '85 90 quattro
          '95 S2 Avant '89, 200 quattro 1b
          '00 Allroad 2.7T, '02 S6 V8 Avant

'96 A6 2.5 TDI quattro Avant.

Comment

a25c, thanks. Dropped you a PM back there.

Yes, she has graced the N20 many's the time.
            Daily commute would take a portion of it in & regular runs at the weekend.
            sigpic
            181 VW Touran - Highline

Gone:
            '90 Mk2 GTI 16v

Comment

SOLD!
              Sad to let it go, but gone to a good home.
              Best of luck to the new owner - member on here.
              sigpic
              181 VW Touran - Highline

Gone:
              '90 Mk2 GTI 16v

Comment

Working...
              X