spring rates for C4 A6 avant quattro TDi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring rates for C4 A6 avant quattro TDi

Think I've now found a source for the coilover conversion parts I need, Just a question on spring rates now.

What would be a good ROAD CAR spring strength/rate for an AEL A6 C4 quattro avant?

Anyone know what the standard spring rates are out of curiosity? I'm thinking maybe just a little stiffer than standard AEL sport suspension.. Don't want to kill the ride quality.

I'm planning on using the standard AEL quattro shocks absorbers for for the time being, so will need a spring rate suitable for that.

Also,
    I'm not planning on lowering the car too much, if at all. So what length springs will I need? And with all this in mind, will I still need to get helper springs ?

Cheers.
    C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
    2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
    Schrick 272 cam
    C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
    ITG filter

550lb upfront and 450lb on the back if using stock dampers with threaded sleeves 2.5in front and 2.25 rear gives a comfortable sporty feel on an avant.
    UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post
      550lb upfront and 450lb on the back if using stock dampers with threaded sleeves 2.5in front and 2.25 rear gives a comfortable sporty feel on an avant.
      I had similar rates on the CQ but I found that a bit harsh day to day over bumpy british roads.

I guess the avant is a heavier car though. Would it be less of a bone shaker?
      At those rates?

Does anybody know what the standard suspension is rated at?

Schrick 272 cam
      C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
      ITG filter

Comment

Regardless of the spring rate you choose, take the opportunity to consider lowering the car a bit as the standard ride height is like a 4 x 4.

Have a look at some of the press photos of an S6 car from back in the day, not to mention the diesel or V6 ride height.

The photos where they show the natural / un-doctored ride height. They are very high indeed.

I'm not suggesting having it slammed / stanced, but a little bit lower than original as you are re-doing the springs anyway.

All for keep the springs comfortable for road use also.

Best wishes

Comment

From what I've seen, the Quattro TDI AEL seems to sit lower than the standard V6 or standard diesel models. Infact I always knock the bottom of the car when I go home to my parents

so if anything I might want to go a little bit higher.. Lol

Anyway, it's adjustable so I've got that option.

Back on the point though, what would be a good road spring rate to match the standard rears?

as I'm only converts in the front so far because the Originals rusted through.

Originally posted by macspring View Post
          Regardless of the spring rate you choose, take the opportunity to consider lowering the car a bit as the standard ride height is like a 4 x 4.

Have a look at some of the press photos of an S6 car from back in the day, not to mention the diesel or V6 ride height.

The photos where they show the natural / un-doctored ride height. They are very high indeed.

I'm not suggesting having it slammed / stanced, but a little bit lower than original as you are re-doing the springs anyway.

All for keep the springs comfortable for road use also.

Best wishes

Schrick 272 cam
          C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
          ITG filter

Comment

Sorry, I can't advise on spring rates - That's above my pay scale / experience.

Others should be able to jump in though.

Comment

I ended up with 10.5 " inch springs at 425lbs .

Impressions are they seem a little too soft. Quite bouncy.

Ride hight is also too high and no room for adjustment

So i think im going to get 550lbs and drop down to 8" inch springs.

At 8 " and 550lbs, do you think there will be a chance of going coil bound?

Also, has anyone tried those springs that bow outwards in the middle? Im wondering if they will give me some extra travel. But are there any drawbacks of using them? Compared to a strait spring?

Cheers in advance.

Schrick 272 cam
              C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
              ITG filter

Comment

Working...
              X