Colesy's WR Quattro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colesy's WR Quattro

Thought I'd start a separate thread for fixing a few niggles with the WR.

Anyone after some pictures, there are some here:
    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82234

Rather than just PM'ing all the people who offered help I thought it would be more productive to have it open for input from everyone.

The problems:
    1. Running a bit lumpy and popping every so often. Sparks are all good, compression test is next on the list. - Partially fixed! Cleaning of IM sensor.

2. N/S Electric window not working. Not a priority - Fixed! Contact cleaner in switch.

3. After-market radio not working. Not a priority - Fixed! Plugged in at battery!

4. Horn not working. Not a priority

5. Green digital dash temperamental, will be following the isham research guide to diagnose this: http://www.sealtd.net/quattro/ishamr..._digidash.html
    I have noticed that the manor in which I put the key in the ignition can affect this and did read that the ignition switch can cause issues with the digi dashes. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Partially fixed! Contact cleaner on all related plugs!

6. Intercooler to IM hose is kinked. Does the IC look to be in the correct position?

Fixed as per below

More to follow no doubt!
    Last edited by Colesy; 29 September 2016, 12:05.

the IC looks correctly installed, try unclamping the hose at the TB and twist it counter clockwise...
    Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Originally posted by Sküll View Post
      the IC looks correctly installed, try unclamping the hose at the TB and twist it counter clockwise...
      I did try that, met lots of resistance though, I'll try again.

Comment

the pipe has been probably firts mounted on the TB and clamped, and then clamped to the IC, and then the IC was bolted in place.
        Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Originally posted by Colesy View Post
          I did try that, met lots of resistance though, I'll try again.
          I would let both ends go to allow the pipe to sit relaxed, then tighten.
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I've managed to get this hose looking much better for air flow now. Twisting it further onto the IC has helped quite a lot.

Still chasing the misfire though.

Spark looks good, fuel is flowing 900ml in 25 seconds so should be sufficient. I've cleaned the inlet temperature sensor. A boost leak test is on the list.

Any other pointers?

Comment

A bit more about the misfire, when driving it is quite often completely flat when you accelerate. The car feels like it is stuttering...
              Last edited by Colesy; 17 September 2016, 16:28.

Comment

Does the WR have the large air metering head like the later 10v engines?
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

This?

Comment

Yes that's the one. Not sure if it's just mechanical and alters the fueling to the injectors or talks to the ECU about airflow. Sorry I have no experience with this setup, it was just a suggestion of something to investigate.
                    91 Modded 3B
                    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

So, I put the old apparently incorrect spark plugs back in and it is running like a dream... almost! There is a slight stuttering at higher revs but the general misfire has pretty much gone along with the popping. I think a few of the fixes I have tried have cured the original misfire and putting the old plugs back in has fixed the new one!

This car is a complete new ball game!!! Although the underside, subframes etc is remarkably similar to the S2!!

Have fixed the radio too! It wasn't plugged in at the battery...

Comment

Out of interest what plugs did you put back in. I've fitted platinum too ones supplied by Pete reeve as the factors repeatedly supplied the ngk ones. They would work with the leads. I have read thy single electrode plugs should not be used on these engines..

Comment

Colesy's WR Quattro

The stock WR plugs are single electrode Bosche Platin. W4DP

http://www.sealtd.net/quattro/ishamr...fications.html

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

That's all good then. Cheers ��

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                              The stock WR plugs are single electrode Bosche Platin. W4DP

http://www.sealtd.net/quattro/ishamr...fications.html
                              That's what I fitted as that what I had discovered from doing plenty of research. But they didn't work, caused a consistent misfire/stuttering at low revs!

Refitted the triple electrode NGK's and am back to a very minor misfire at high revs.

Annoying to say the least!

Comment

Working...
                              X