Southbend clutch disc hub loose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southbend clutch disc hub loose?

Took my gearbox off today expecting to find a destroyed release bearing. Instead I found a loose, rattling hub on the clutch disc. Check this out.

https://youtu.be/7EnxZUpER2M

https://youtu.be/q6sWczpY8k4

Not right surely? This is a Southbend extreme street clutch and has covered 5-6k miles with baby K24 torque and no launching or other abuse. It's supposed to be rated to well over 700nm
    I compared to a well used ABY Sachs disc I have lying about which feels solid.
    Anyone got any thoughts?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Given you haven't abused the clutch and only covered 5-6k are you covered by any sort of warranty?
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Bought the unit around 4 years ago so no
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Bummer. Going back to the wear in those youtube clips,i'm amazed a component rated to 700nm can be so poorly made to end up like yours. I guess you bought this for future intended power goals which makes sense. Just asking, ....... would the standard Audi (sachs?) clutch not been ok for 350 ish bhp?
        94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

That's not good! Looks like the rivets between the plate and the spline are on their way out. I would show Southbend the video, as you may get a replacement friction plate FOC. Worth a try.
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

A bit of chemical metal will fix that
            sigpic
            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
              Took my gearbox off today expecting to find a destroyed release bearing. Instead I found a loose, rattling hub on the clutch disc. Check this out.

https://youtu.be/7EnxZUpER2M

https://youtu.be/q6sWczpY8k4

Not right surely? This is a Southbend extreme street clutch and has covered 5-6k miles with baby K24 torque and no launching or other abuse. It's supposed to be rated to well over 700nm
              I compared to a well used ABY Sachs disc I have lying about which feels solid.
              Anyone got any thoughts?
              Been there already few years back no surprise to me. Waisted my money on a performance kit wich failed from first time I had a launch which supposed to be just fine for it but abviously didn't. They didn't want to know anything about it when I had asked for guaranty.

Comment

I have had bother with a few clutches. Just get a sacks unit and be done

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                  I have had bother with a few clutches. Just get a sacks unit and be done

If i could ask since we are on the subject of clutches, would a standard S6 Sachs clutch be good for up to 375bhp with no abuse, launches or anything like that? Cheers.
                  94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Well I sent Southbend an email with a link to the vid - lets see what they say. Pretty pissed off, it was a £600 clutch kit. God knows what would have happened if I'd been running close to 500lbft through it as I intend

I have the SRE pressure plate already, so I guess I will just buy an SRE friction disc. My only reticence is that the friction materials will be different and would that effect / contaminate the new friction disc?

Mark Stock S6 clutch is the same as the RS2 and holds well.
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Mark Stock S6 clutch is the same as the RS2 and holds well.
                      Thanks.
                      94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Bought the unit around 4 years ago so no
                        I think for your desired power level keep the sachs pressure plate and get a sachs racing friction disk. If below 400 to 500 ft lb go organic disk. At 500 ft lb and above you will need the harsh sintered disk. The flywheel and pressure plate will clear up after a short while as long as it isn't scraped or gouged.

Comment

I do like the twin plate kevlar job I have on my urs4. Handles power and torque well and is lighter than the sachs racing job and smooth to drive.

Comment

Cheers Des. I have just ordered a new SRE friction disc. Flywheel and pressure plate look perfect but I will give the bearing faces a rub down with wet & dry to give the new disc a fresh surface to bed into. If this ****er fails I will go twin plate.
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Cheers Des. I have just ordered a new SRE friction disc. Flywheel and pressure plate look perfect but I will give the bearing faces a rub down with wet & dry to give the new disc a fresh surface to bed into. If this ****er fails I will go twin plate.
                              You should be grand.

Comment

Working...
                              X