Project Zombie - 3B back from the dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Zombie - 3B back from the dead

Well it's been a long time coming and at times I though my 3B was destined for the great breaker in the sky. After reading members project threads, I've finally got around to documentating the resurection of my S2.

I guess I should start in the beginning, back in April 2002. Here's my pride and joy after getting her home and lavishing hours of elbow grease with polish and wax.

Copy of DSCF0105.jpg
    Copy of DSCF0106.jpg

Part of the crowd at very good turnout of S2's at Audi Driver International when the S2 Forum was in its infancy.

pics 009.jpg

Billings Aquadome a few years later....good times

DSCF0009.jpg

It wasn't long before the tuning bug got hold of me and the credit card started to burn a hole in my pocket. A bit too much boost during a tuning session and the rebuild was essential

bent rods.JPG

A rebuild followed with an RS2 turbo, exh manifold and various uprated parts to future proof the engine for further upgrades....

Carrillo v OEM.JPG
    Carrillosside 015.jpg
    Carrillosside 025.jpg
    rebuild 017.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg

Once back on the road the car was happily running around 330 Hp and 600Nm. Reliability was never an issue, however clutches didn't last too long before they started to slip. I went through a few options until I tried a Clutchnet unit which lasted well to abuse.

Over the years my job changed and the S2 was no longer suitable to be my daily driver; rising fuel costs and other factors such as supporting my two, growing teenage boys meant that the S2 needed to be parked up for a while and SORN'd. I didn't realise at that time how long that would be..............
    Last edited by SteveH; 25 October 2012, 00:53.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

6 Years later.....!

The years flew by and the car was moved into the garage for a day when I had time and cash to direct her way.

A sorry sight...

IMG_1270.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg

The engine had been started from time to time, but the battery had died and needed to be replaced to breathe life back into the old girl.

IMG_1272.jpg

The paintwork has faded badly and she's also picked up a few bumps and scrapes over the years. A full respray is in order and bodywork preparation is now underway.

The alloys were also looking rather nasty so they were first on the list for a lick of paint.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveH; 24 June 2012, 22:20.
    91 Modded 3B

Comment

always a good feeling massaging a layed up car back onto the tarmac once again!
      1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
      1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
      BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

It's about time!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Refurbed alloys

Refurbed wheels sprayed in 2K. I picked Saab steel grey for the wheels and good few coats of clear coat

IMG_2414.jpg
          IMG_2408.jpg
          IMG_2376.jpg

Ā£5 worth of Oz decals and the centers look like new

356.jpg

And the money shots...
          341.jpg
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SteveH; 24 June 2012, 23:28.
          91 Modded 3B

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
            It's about time!
            Yes, I'd have to agree, long overdue. Suprisingly the car is in very good condition with only a small amout of surface rust on some of the nuts and bolts. Wiring is a little brittle in the engine bay where it's been hot in the past, but I'm replacing anything that looks dodgy and have a new loom to convert to ABY ECU and COP's
            91 Modded 3B

Comment

Good work on the resurrection Steve
              Cheers'en, AndyC
              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Reversed inlet and new intercooler

I purchased a large intercooler years ago with the intention of replacing the RS2 unit with something larger. It's probably not required for RS2 power levels, but the plan is to upgrade once the car is back in use.

I've always hankered for a TIG welder and needed to cut and weld the AAN inlet I'd picked up, so it was time to invest in an AC/DC unit. I opted for the R-Tech 160 which has been excellent and provided me with an opportunity to refresh my welding skills.

New front cross member and intercooler piping

IMG_2653.jpg

3B Zombie 010.jpg

3B Zombie 006.jpg

Cut and shut AAN inlet and extended throttle cable. I have all the kit to make up more of these if anyone wants one?

3B Zombie 029.jpg

It's very tight between the inlet and PAS pump which has now been relocated forwards and is being run off a long V belt along with the alternator. I had to cut and plate the underside of the AAN inlet to accomodate the PAS pump lines.

3B Zombie 008.jpg
                3B Zombie 018.jpg
                3B Zombie 012.jpg

The engine and box will be pulled out after I get back from holiday to get the gearbox refurbed because the syncro for first to second gear has gone. I also have a new Sachs racing clutch to go in and will get the flywheel refaced while it's exposed.

While the engine is out I'm also planning on relocating the battery to the boot and replacing the 3B ECU with an ABY unit and installing a new COP loom supplied by Dmitri. Plenty to keep me busy

As the car will only be used for fun, I'm thinking of making a 3" side exit with one box and a seperate wastegate pipe

Updates on progress and pics to follow...
                91 Modded 3B

Comment

A few random build pics

Here's a few more random build pics. I have a PC full of other people's pictures which have been used as inspiration and reference over the years. Hopefully there may be something of use to someone who's refurbing their S2.

Front off

latest 2s 001.jpg

Turbo to Intercooler with Forge DV

latest 2s 006.jpg
                  latest 2s 007.jpg

New air feed and filter required. I've always thought a route in through the inner wing would be useful. Ideas or any BTDT's?

latest 2s 011.jpg

The standard radiator has to fit back in here. it may require tilting slightly and I doubt the standard fan and shroud will fit. I'll probably go for an aftermarket slim fan unit.

latest 2s 014.jpg

Loom and ABY ECU ready for the pin swap and TFSI coils. I can't say I'm looking forward to swapping 50 wires around and attempting to resart the engine after. From memory there's little slack in the ECU loom, so I guess the work will be undertaken in the front passenger footwell

latest 2s 016.jpg
                  91 Modded 3B

Comment

keep up the good work mate

Comment

Looking good. But I have to ask, why go to the OZ multispokes when you had these lovely RS2 or RS2 "Cup" clone wheels to start with?

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

The RS2 wheels were Milli copies and were all bent. I'd have kept them on the car and too be honest it handles better with 17's. I'm not particularly fond of the Oz Superturisimo's but they are damn strong.
                        91 Modded 3B

Comment

I've had a good clean out in the garage today and it's like an S2 Aladdins cave. I'd forgotten how much stuff I've stored for future use.

I've been stacking used batteries on this and undercovered it whilst moving car bits around. It could be useful one day. New and unused...

bits 011.jpg

bits 012.jpg
                          91 Modded 3B

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                            I've had a good clean out in the garage today and it's like an S2 Aladdins cave. I'd forgotten how much stuff I've stored for future use.

I've been stacking used batteries on this and undercovered it whilst moving car bits around. It could be useful one day. New and unused...

[ATTACH]36939[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36940[/ATTACH]
                            New and unused as in a brand new block?
                            Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more picĀ“s of my cars

Comment

Originally posted by fish View Post
                              New and unused as in a brand new block?
                              Yes, new never been used. It's been greased up and wrapped in a heavy duty PVC bag. It came in an Audi box which has since been thrown away. It was originally sold with pistons, but they were sold before I got hold of it. I doubt there are many out there now. God knows what Audi's pricing would have been for it new
                              91 Modded 3B

Comment

Working...
                              X