Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vems AAN 3071r Tune w/wtr meth

Hey Everyone,
    I've been messing around for a a couple years with my Vems in stock format and now its been a year of driving with my build and I'd really appreciate it I could get an opinion of the state of the tune and any pointers you guys may have. The most recent changes have been to the timing map mainly because of the addition of AEM water meth. There is no pinging that I can hear, any better way of tuning timing?

The setup is,
    AAN
    stock crank
    stock pistons (reringged with larger than stock gap)
    scat connecting rods
    stock cyl head with std size Ferrera Valves
    7A cams
    Iroz motorsport header
    3071r w/tial .82 exhaust housing
    3" downpipe
    3" Exhaust single magnaflow muffler
    lightweight flywheel
    FMIC
    AEM Water meth kit

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...43027186064368

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=68507943027186064368
    Attached Files

If you have a good ear for it (i don't) then that is a good method. How are you listening, any devices?

I assume you have an O2 sensor for DIY mapping.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Comment

For knock sensing I'm using a diy setup from knock Sensor to mic input then goes amplifier in laptop then output to headphones.

I'm running a Bosch wideband with integral Vems controller

Running 660 Siemens injectors

Comment

be carefull with the timing if you use W/M kit
        i use a aem W/M kit only for to lower intake temp,it's spray just before throttlebody
        when you set more timing it's dangerous to make broken pieces when the W/M fails so it's best you put a safety in vems,timing retard on high intake temps or something like that
        audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
        TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
        AEM W/M injection

Comment

When mapping vems I used ear defenders with the padding removed and a plastic hose glued into a hole I drilled in each ear piece. Then t them together and run a single 10mm I'd approx plastic hose down onto a banjo bolt mounted at the top of the block close to the head gasket.
          With this I could hear ping easily. Sounded like breaking glass. I advanced timing untill I heard ping then retarded a little. Seems ok...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone setup vems itself to retarded on ping?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Comment

I never have used my knock sensors in vems.this could be interesting....😊
              audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
              TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
              AEM W/M injection

Comment

I had a look at your maps and settings briefly.
                I see quite a bit of timing at 25deg 1.7bar and stock compression but I.you haven't heard of knock that's fine.

Also you have 0.93 lamda on idle. Why? You don't obviously have an idle valve, and if.you do.its disabled.
                Your boost settings DC seems a bit all over the place but if it boosts fine, no worries.

Knock sensors can be tuned on vems so long as you run 1.2.30. I need to do this myself soon. Probably best during the summer

Comment

i have my vems running with knock detection perfectly with 1.2.38 and before with 1.2.36.. never had any problem, but it takes some time though
                  1990 Audi 100 2.2 Turbo Quattro with VEMS, K24 2480, ported and milled 10v head

Comment

Thanks looking into the tune and the advice, I really appreciate it.

@quattro-nick thanks for the heads up on the w/m kit I have yet to add the warning system, i do. have the pin wired into the Vems hoping to do a display warning on my nexus7 i use as an incar display. But a second safety would be great I don't think iat will be enough as my Intercooler seems to hit ambient air temp providing its on open road. I'm thinking maybe a vacuum solenoid to drop boost pressure to wastegate or maybe map switching

@A80avant I've run .93 at idle as it seems to run smoother and doesn't lean pop while idleing. Although I think it maybe correcting for the injector settings of the Siemens 660s. (@60psi idle 80psi at full boost) What would you typically run at idle? Ignition at idle? I do run an IAC but I just have it on openloop settings for now. How could I make the boost/dc better?

@morgenlatte do you have any links on how to set knock sensing up?

Thanks again everyone

Comment

Your idle settings are disabled. You are running idle only with timing.
                      I run idle at 1.02 and when I had dekas the same. So it pops sometimes, that's not an issue. I'm not sure if the 7a camshaft plays a role in your case.

What boost n75 valve do you use?

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Comment

just press F1 when you are at knock sampling and it shows you everything you need
                        1990 Audi 100 2.2 Turbo Quattro with VEMS, K24 2480, ported and milled 10v head

Comment

Alright, I'll lean it out at idle and see how it is.
                          I'm running the industrial wastegate valve from EFI express
                          http://www.efiexpress.com/catalog/pr...products_id=97
                          On a tial wastegate v44

Just F1, that's awesome.

Thanks guys

Comment

If you are running the Mac valve then it's better. Unfortunately every car is slightly different therefore I can't just give you settings. I have learnt that PID on boost is more or less stable so I'll look that up for you. However I use to and bottom chamber of the oem wastegate. If you also use both chambers then it should only be a number change.

For the idle read through the vems guide it's very easy.

I need to do the same for the knock control.

Comment

Vems idle with an old ISV is quite unreliable, I have never got it working well. Can work nice for a while but then suddenly the engine stalls after a hard pull or spirited driving. Ignition controlled idle with the ISV disabled works perfect in all conditions, never ever a stalled engine, but gives about 1000rpm idle when hot. For me it's not a problem, but not all like so high idle.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                              Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                              BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                              BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Working...
                              X