Recommend me a TIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a TIG

Looking at investing in good quality TIG, probably a used to save some money, but ideally UK / european built (not chinese *****).
    Will be used for general fabrication, stainless etc, nothing over 5-6mm so doesm't need to be mega power. I'd also like to be able to have a go at some ally at some point.

Any recommendations for decent manufactruers / brands / models to look out for?

Cheers
    Alex
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

If you want alloy u need an ac set. Stainless is dc. So a switchable ac dc set with high frequency start is what you need. A decent one isn't cheep. About 180 amp would be fine.

Comment

I've heard good things about these:-

http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/weldi...ent/Tig_Welder

I've thought about upgrading mine to AC/DC and this is what I'd go for if I did.
      sigpic
      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

I got a 2nd hand miller from eBay alex. £550 but it's the ****ing ****
        Chef

Comment

I've got a murex, miller, kemppi and cebora are good as well, kind off industry standard makes, you will need the argon as well. Got to admit ally takes practice but it feel good when it all comes together
          1995 RS2 Nogaro
          1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
          1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

I have got a Kemppi MLS 2300 AC/DC at work and it´s the best TIG i have ever tried. Even at quite thin gauge alloy you need quite big power, i was welding some 4mm alloy plate yesterday and i needed around 160 amps to get a nice strong weld. Any kemppi AC/DC or ESAB is a good welder.
            Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

cheers for the advice guys, I'll keep eyes peeled and see what comes up on the bay of scum etc :beers:
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tig

1) A group of five intensely attractive girls. Easily the prettiest, funniest, most popular girls in the room.

Comment

you won't go wrong with a miller i have had mine 15 years and has never let me down . i also have a small butters 165 ac/dc tig/arc with hf etc , very good portable machine it cost about £ 1000 new

Comment

I have an R-Tech TIG160, 2 year warranty and well specced machine for the money, it also runs off a 13amp plug, HF start & will also pulse. I wish I had pushed the boat out and got the AC/DC unit though, either way a good machine for the money just budget for a better torch and your good to go.
                    2000 B5 A4 Quattro Sport ~ 2.0 20V GT30R ~ Gone
                    1993 S2 ABY Coupe ~ Gone
                    1989 2.2E Coupe ~ Gone

Comment

Been looking at the R-Techs today, they have a lot of features for the money and seem really good value... credit card keeps looking at me..... must........ resist.....

Keeping eyes on the bay for a used bargain
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Well I bought my R-tech purely on the warranty, features & price, they are claimed to have awesome support for there equipment although I've never needed it yet. There used in industry which is always a good sign in my book, I use mine alot and its never struggled, glitched, cut out or anything. I was worried if I bought off eBay I might end up with a lemon & not really know it.

Don't know what you've planned for argon but don't waste your time with those tiny throw away jobbies and I would budget for a pair of flow meters and valved Y piece while your at it as there really useful, the gauges on the regualtor are proper inaccurate and you will waste lots of expensive argon going off that. I'm no pro but these helped my welding loads.

TIG is awesome if you like fabricating
                        1993 S2 ABY Coupe ~ Gone
                        1989 2.2E Coupe ~ Gone

Comment

I love building stuff and while I do like MIG its just not flexible enough (or pretty enough) for me
                          Yup those stupid little gas bottles are ****!
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

He who dies with the most toys wins!

MIG & TIG both have there place, welding stainless with TIG is really nice and you've said its so neat. There should be a fabrication section on this forum me thinks?
                            1993 S2 ABY Coupe ~ Gone
                            1989 2.2E Coupe ~ Gone

Comment

You need to get friendly with some one so you can fill your own smaller bottles up rather than renting the big ones
                              Chef

Comment

Working...
                              X