Audi S2 front hub carriers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi S2 front hub carriers.

I am looking for S2 front hubs carriers for my 80 avant 5 stud conversion to take the correct 82mm bearings i now have, but need the correct carriers. Have been offered 80 2.8 front hub carriers, seller says they are the same.Can you guys confirm if that is correct as don't want to buy wrong parts.

Cheers
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

http://www.vagcat.com/

Comment

audi 20v are the same too....i use them in my projekt car

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar View Post
        audi 20v are the same too....i use them in my projekt car
        So your saying audi 20v 7A? from a 90 or coupe is the same as 2.8, and S2 front hub carriers?? I gave away a my 20V hub carriers from my 90 2.3 20V

I am now paranoid about buying wrong parts as don't wont to waste any more time or money.

Are the 2.8 carriers the same then????? I need that answered as that,s what i have been offered.
        Last edited by Vorsprung durch Technik; 5 March 2014, 11:54.
        94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

you may se that outside; take the wheel off....the bolt to the strut are 14mm= 21 or 22 mm wrench... head and nut are not the same size....( there are a verson with 12mm bolt... 19mm wrench)
          then; you may meshure the size of bearing housing out side, right behind the brake shield are the round part of hub... it should be ca 100 mm...( there are a verson there are only 90mm, for 75mm bearing!!!!?)....
          BUT; in some diesel versons there ARE meshured 100mm outside, and have the big bolts in struth... BUT IT VAS ONLY 75MM BEARING????!!....ok... i mada a tool so i milles it out.... ive made for both sides...
          im NOT kidden about this; ive tryed this, and use this combo on my vw 32b... so ive got 280x24 brakes in front, and 2pc strut, asymetric wishbone, and s2 Farb....
          why vw / audi does som many versons, over the same thema.....?????....why???

Comment

i don't know how old this post is and honestly i didn't understand anything that caterpillar said..... i am in the midst of a 5 lug swap with my 20v 90. from what i have gathered.

s2 or a4 rear hubs will fit. suggest getting the rotors and caliper carriers to match.

as far as i know, s2 hubs are needed in the front, also get the rotors and caliper carriers to match and maybe the calipers themselves also.

as for the 2.8 cars... i do not know but i can't imagine they are different aside from being 5 lug. i have 200q 20vt front hubs i was going to try. with some slight modification they will work for the front but pending how difficult it is to find and the price of s2 hubs.. its more of a last resort option i'd say. seems the only sure way i can find that's documented is s2 front parts and s2 or a4 rear parts. as for anything else all i can say is trial and error.

Comment

The question the original poster is asking is if thr hub carriers themselves (uprights) are the same. Pretty sure they are, only the smaller engined cars came with smaller wheel bearings.

Quick check to confirm would be to check the part numbers for the front wheel bearings for the s2 and the v6. If they're the same then bingo.

Sent from my Dyson dc09 using tapatalk.
              1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by 20vB3 View Post
                i don't know how old this post is and honestly i didn't understand anything that caterpillar said..... i am in the midst of a 5 lug swap with my 20v 90. from what i have gathered.

s2 or a4 rear hubs will fit. suggest getting the rotors and caliper carriers to match.

as far as i know, s2 hubs are needed in the front, also get the rotors and caliper carriers to match and maybe the calipers themselves also.

as for the 2.8 cars... i do not know but i can't imagine they are different aside from being 5 lug. i have 200q 20vt front hubs i was going to try. with some slight modification they will work for the front but pending how difficult it is to find and the price of s2 hubs.. its more of a last resort option i'd say. seems the only sure way i can find that's documented is s2 front parts and s2 or a4 rear parts. as for anything else all i can say is trial and error.
                Hi 20vB3 this post was started on 5 march so only 5 weeks or so. I think your right about trial and error. I posted the question but no one it seams could give me a definitive answer or was willing to stake there reputation on it which was what I was looking for. Spink replied when I put a wanted add for s2 front hub carriers that he had 2.8 carriers and they are the same. I have had bad previous experience from Audi sending me the wrong parts even though I gave them a 1994 s2 avant registration.

That's why I posted this question back in early march. I have been told 2.8 , 90 20v, and all V6 carriers are the same. Your doing the same as me on your car so according to what has been posted in this thread your 90 20v front carriers should be the same. I gave mine away so not clever as could have media blast and painted ready to the swap in a day therefore keeping the car on the road. That's why I am trying to get al the info together to avoid my car being of the road for any length of time.

On my 2.6 fwd 80 avant rear 5 stud conversion one needs early A4 so up to 1997 rear discs,bearings (2 bearings inner and outer) ABS rings and that's it.been told even the rear brake calipers line up with the discs. So that's what I bought. According to guys that have done this that's it for the rear. So very easy I hope fingers crossed. Problem has been the front hub carriers as you can see I have had what seams like conflicting advice. The 2.8 front carriers that were offered to me for 40 quid........if they are so perfect and correct why do S2front carriers demand silly money when they are the same according to the person trying to sell them to me. it doesn't make sense the price difference between 2.8 and S2 carriers if they are identical and if the seller selling to me was correct.

Anyway, I think my car is going to have to come of the road too see if my V6 front hub crarriers will take an 82mm bearings I bought as used in the original S2 front hubs. Unless anybody can give me definitive correct advice please.

Good luck with you conversion on the 90 20V sounds really good and would like to see pictures of It when your done. I have seen in the sates a b2 5cyl saloon with S2 Aby 16 inch Avus alloys on the car and it looked stunning IMHO.
                94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
                  The question the original poster is asking is if thr hub carriers themselves (uprights) are the same. Pretty sure they are, only the smaller engined cars came with smaller wheel bearings.

Quick check to confirm would be to check the part numbers for the front wheel bearings for the s2 and the v6. If they're the same then bingo.

Thanks Kieron20V, your right and straight to the point. Your info will undoubtedly help me.like you say if the bearing part numbers are the same then bingo. Will ring Audi next week to get the part numbers unless anyone on here can give me that info beforehand.Cheers!!
                  94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Thanks and good luck to you as well. My guess would be if the 82mm bearing fits in the hub carrier (I call it a spindle) and the ball joint provision and such match, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I thought you were asking about the hub itself.

Comment

Yes agree with you.I was lucky and got brand new S2 front hubs. So nice and clean and shiny ready for painting. I am busy at the moment as trying to get the S2 Avant rear bumper for my S2 exterior look a like conversion. Just took delivery of S2 front bumper so something to smile about
                      94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Are there not also M10 and M12 hub carrier to strut holes? Nothing a drill cant fix though
                        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                          Are there not also M10 and M12 hub carrier to strut holes? Nothing a drill cant fix though
                          Yes,you know better than me.It won't put me of though
                          94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

M12 and later ones are m14. Can't remember when the split is though. But the 12mm bolts are no longer available I think, read lots of people drilling them out to 14mm as these are available still.

1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
                              M12 and later ones are m14. Can't remember when the split is though. But the 12mm bolts are no longer available I think, read lots of people drilling them out to 14mm as these are available still.

Thanks for that info....Realised about the different size M12 versus M14 but didn't know M12 bolts NLA. I had better order some m14 bolts pronto
                              94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X